Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How many managers have been sacked in August? What's the record for the earliest? 

Wasn't Brian Gunn sacked after one game in charge of Norwich when they got thumped 7-1 by Wycombe (?) managed by lambert who they then signed as manager and got them promoted. 

Edit - it was Colchester who thrashed Norwich and gunn was sacked within 7 days of the season starting! 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How many managers have been sacked in August? What's the record for the earliest? 

I've no idea. 

Found this list:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2004392-the-20-shortest-managerial-stints-in-world-football-history

1. Leroy Rosenior

20 OF 20

f8626f1495ca796666bed5178afdbc49_crop_ex
Stu Forster/Getty Images

Duration: 0 games (10 minutes!)

The record for the shortest ever managerial tenure is going to take some beating.

Leroy Rosenior managed Torquay United between 2002 and 2006, leading them to a League One promotion. On 17 May 2007, the former West Ham striker was reappointed following the dismissal of Keith Curle.

However, just 10 minutes after the announcement of his rehiring was made, the club were taken over by a consortium who sacked him and appointed former Torquay player Paul Buckle instead.

At the time, Rosenior was a very good sport about it, telling the Mirror: "It was a shock but we had a good laugh about it. Obviously, they thought I'd done a fantastic job after 10 minutes and let me go. They are going to sort me out a little bit of a compensation."

Apparently Bruce only lasted 55 days at Wigan...

But Bruce has been here for 10 months + now.

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are only 3 games in mate, the signs are there that a well oiled machine is coming to play some great football and roar us to to the top of the league.

After which Bruce is going to ram our words down our throats.

:ph34r:

Thing is JV (I know that was a joke) but I would love this to happen. But nothing over the last 10 months gives me even a glimmer of hope this will happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Thing is JV (I know that was a joke) but I would love this to happen. But nothing over the last 10 months gives me even a glimmer of hope this will happen.

I don't think people who say we are being harsh and shortsighted realise this either.

Remember, I was actually turned later than most. (Unintentional vampire sounding reference).

As a matter of fact, before the last match, I was secretly hoping I could come on here and admit to being fickle after it, that didn't happen.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Bloke on talksport(Tom Ross?) 

Apparently we broke even over last January and then made 25m this window, Bruce just needs backing by xia. Basically it's not Bruce's fault it's xia's for not backing him or ours for not supporting the team enough. And 10 months is too soon to judge him. 

I know talksport tries to wind people up but my blood is boiling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Apparently we broke even over last January and then made 25m this window, Bruce just needs backing by xia. Basically it's not Bruce's fault it's xia's for not backing him or ours for not supporting the team enough. And 10 months is too soon to judge him. 

Ross is a blue nose so no surprise - I see Bruce has brought hutton back in today - what a plonker! 

Could be a long afternoon :(

70 million an bottom of the league. I know its only 3 games but without a win today he should go.

An for the fans who think he is loved by the board. its never really been any different before a sacking. There can be no negatives from the board or else if a manager caught on, he would start doing less than Bruce even is now. 

I've seen it before. Full support for the manager one day, then sacked the next week, so i'm not to worried that if this shite continues, he will be gone,

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

70 million an bottom of the league. I know its only 3 games but without a win today he should go.

An for the fans who think he is loved by the board. its never really been any different before a sacking. There can be no negatives from the board or else if a manager caught on, he would start doing less than Bruce even is now. 

I've seen it before. Full support for the manager one day, then sacked the next week, so i'm not to worried that if this shite continues, he will be gone,

You just know he will pin it all on injuries and players not handling the expectation - anyone but himself .

30 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Also claimed garde was supported. Whatever your thoughts on garde, noone can claim that he was backed. 

Joey barton  was equally as frustrating to listen to! 

In reality he is a Championship manager, oldskool. He still believes this league is about graft, that's why he brought in samba etc. But in reality its changing and the Championship is now getting closer to Premiership quality, ok not the top 6 teams obviously, but it shows with Huddersfield turning over Crystal palace last week.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

In reality he is a Championship manager, oldskool. He still believes this league is about graft, that's why he brought in samba etc. But in reality its changing and the Championship is now getting closer to Premiership quality, ok not the top 6 teams obviously, but it shows with Huddersfield turning over Crystal palace last week.

Bob Dylan once wrote, The times they are a-changing. Steve Bruce had never heard that song.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Also claimed garde was supported. Whatever your thoughts on garde, noone can claim that he was backed. 

Joey barton  was equally as frustrating to listen to! 

That should show how in depth his knowledge of Villa related matters are.:rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You just know he will pin it all on injuries and players not handling the expectation - anyone but himself .

Yet he has purchased most of the team now so he and no other is to blame if his purchases can't handle the pressure. Buying a player isn't just about their ability it's making a judgement on their character as well.

Funny how O'Hare and Green aren't burdened by the shirt yet Bruce's signings are and cost millions.:rolleyes:

I'm agreeing with you by the way.:)

Edited by striker

1 hour ago, jjaacckk91 said:

I was driving and heard the same. Completely ignored last seasons issues as if they were magic times. I almost Ashley Cole'd off the road

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is an excellent point and one i've mulled over for some time. Football has changed quite a bit over the last couple of seasons with teams adopting a more placid pass and move game than trying to win by out muscling the opponent. Thats why I think Bruce and as a consequence the Villa team is struggling. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

Â