Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Godders said:

Not really I'm afraid:

You're emphasizing performance over results here, so I'm taking that to mean you wouldn't mind seeing us relegated as long as we're playing attractive football 

But now, you want us to win despite how we're playing, so you're emphasizing results over performance.

The truth is in the middle, and I had this conversation to death earlier in the thread.

You can't take the extremes of a situation and gibe it merit. No-one wants the complete demise of the club.

In a slightly-amended-to-avoid-confusion confirmation of my thoughts earlier in the thread, I would rather finish 15th this season playing good football than finish 7th playing horrible stuff - the latter obviously involves winning more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Game by game improvement is different from 'as a whole'. Derby was really scrappy, Bristol less so, Rotherham at times resembled decent football. 

Most people have their agendas set. I wouldn't listen to most people, including me. The only way to know for sure is to watch for yourself.

Is this to finally be "One of these days we are going to click and give a team a hiding"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

But it's really not just about winning or losing, is it? We won plenty when Bruce first arrived, albeit the football was dire, and you could see the 'downfall' around the corner. I know not all emphasize the performance, as I do. To some the result is all that matters. At the moment I'll too of course take any win, but I'd still like to see genuine progress, from a pure playing perspective.

Oh agree. I want to see that we can challenge for promotion next season, at the moment I don't think Bruce has shown that we can perform consistently enough to achieve that, and that's why I still have very little faith in him.

I'm just pointing out that losing tonight's game is something that can't really be heavily criticised after winning 3 on the bounce. 

2 hours ago, JE- said:

To answer someone question 

No point sacking Bruce now.. His 3 wins give him the rest of the season 

or until the next set back.

Bruce's position certainly needs reviewing at the end of the season.

Considering promotion is not only expected next season but also a must considering the club's losses.

The club need to give a serious hard think whether the football that has been displayed so far this season and the attitude shown from the players under his management are going to help us reach this goal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Bruce's position certainly needs reviewing at the end of the season.

Considering promotion is not only expected next season but also a must considering the club's losses.

The club need to give a serious hard think whether the football that has been displayed so far this season and the attitude shown from the players under his management are going to help us reach this goal.

No they don't. 

They need to have a hard think whether the football team on the pitch is starting to excel and be as good as it can be by the end of the season, not right now. Right now is kind of irrelevant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No they don't. 

They need to have a hard think whether the football team on the pitch is starting to excel and be as good as it can be by the end of the season, not right now. Right now is kind of irrelevant.

Thanks for correcting me this is what i meant :)

• Like 1

Sorry ya'll but I think NOW matters too.   I remain more concerned about the culture of the club being changed.   Culture that's gonna get good any day now is still a club destroying culture now.  

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

The truth is in the middle, and I had this conversation to death earlier in the thread.

You can't take the extremes of a situation and gibe it merit. No-one wants the complete demise of the club.

In a slightly-amended-to-avoid-confusion confirmation of my thoughts earlier in the thread, I would rather finish 15th this season playing good football than finish 7th playing horrible stuff - the latter obviously involves winning more. 

Fair enough. 

I'd much rather see us 7th playing horrible stuff, for the very simple reason that winning all the games we need to finish 7th shows that we're doing something right.

I want my team to do the best that they can do, and in this sport that means winning games. At least until the FA introduce extra points for artisitic performance. 

You may not like it, it may not be pretty to watch, but you cannot argue with the fact that something in the grand scheme of things must be going right to finish 7th. And to do it consistently over the course of the season I would argue shows that Steve Bruce knows what it is. 

I'd take 7th over 15th any time you ask me, regardless of how we're playing football.

Â