Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

We need to concentrate on the performance, get the shape of the team right and start to build a team of players who know each others strengths and weakness, learn where they want each other to be when were in possession and when were not. No whole scale changes, drop the Viking and bring in Jedinack or Gardner.

The Brentford game should teach us a lesson, they went for it and let the defenders deal with our threat, their midfield pressed on and we never had the confidence to return the favour and stretch the game back into their half and go "toe to toe" with them, we had better players but no believe, we played with fear they played with a Gung-Ho approach.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't describe how much I hate this "we need a manager for the long run" attitude that so many people still have.

We don't.

We need a long term plan, and the manager fits into that. But so does the next one, and the next one.

Yes fair enough IF we get a manager who happens to be amazing and keeps being amazing every year, then keep him long term. But the club searching for a manager who's going to be in charge for 10 years or more is a recipe for disaster.

It doesn't work. It leads to appointments like Sherwood and Garde. Unproven gambles because they MIGHT be good.

The club should be recruiting a manager for a short term goal (which in turn is part of a long term plan). When we achieve that goal, employ a manager for the next step, and if that happens to be the current manager then fair enough, keep him.

Alex Ferguson , Arsene Wenger ,didn't turn out too bad for their respective clubs. 

And I fail to see how Garde was appointed with long term in mind , he was thrown into a lions den with no support whatsoever. 

40 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Alex Ferguson , Arsene Wenger ,didn't turn out too bad for their respective clubs. 

And I fail to see how Garde was appointed with long term in mind , he was thrown into a lions den with no support whatsoever. 

No they didn't, but you can't plan to find a Ferguson or Wenger, which Stevo covered in his post.

• Like 1

To be honest do we really wanna go up this season? We haven't found that consistency or been able to beat teams with ease yet therefore I fear if we went up we would just come back down again. I think we need another year down here to mke us a team again. We have sorted the home.form out at least which is promising for next season.

Then I think we can go up and have a real chance of staying up once we get there

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To be honest do we really wanna go up this season? We haven't found that consistency or been able to beat teams with ease yet therefore I fear if we went up we would just come back down again. I think we need another year down here to mke us a team again. We have sorted the home.form out at least which is promising for next season.

Then I think we can go up and have a real chance of staying up once we get there

I largely agree with you, we certainly don't look like a premier team at the moment. However if we found the kind of form we would need to get up from this position, then we would at least have a lot more confidence and team spirit than we currently have. 

39 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I largely agree with you, we certainly don't look like a premier team at the moment. However if we found the kind of form we would need to get up from this position, then we would at least have a lot more confidence and team spirit than we currently have. 

True say mate but I think we have had quite a easy run recently and have fallen even further behind. We have a lot of tough games coming up so I cant see us going on the run capable of getting in top 6

• Like 1

This might get a lot of disagreement, but I do feel that Bruce should have kept the dispute with McCormack private as ultimately the club have spent a fortune in transfers and wages on him and now it feels like there is no way back.

I am not defending the players actions, in some ways i admire Bruce for taking a stand, but I just don't understand what was gained from it. We now have another ludicrously expensive player on high wages at a direct rival and we are subsidising his wages. After so many incidents with Gabby, Grealish and many others making us look like a laughing stock, I just feel this should have been handled privately.

Yes he's a dick so fine the player, drop the player. But don't make the whole thing into a public shaming. Even if just so it would be easier to sell him without a 'bad egg' reputation.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Me too. I was fuming. It was shit. I'm very happy to see bad performances criticised, I think calls to sack the manager off the back of it are bonkers though.

After 1 bad performance yes.

After 2 months worth without any real exception. Not so much.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Pretty much agree with this  -another year in this division wouldn't be the end of the world but it's vital we get up next season if not this.

If Bruce does his job for the next six or seven games as well as he did it for the first six or seven his job and our Form will take care of itself. If he doesn't, that will take care of itself too.

We are not a cursed Club. We don't have a monopoly on overpaid or 'soft' footballers. We don't need player X or Y to play to succeed. Bruce doesn't need special treatment because of RDM or Garde or Lerner or Sherwood.

Weve had a miserable time because we've appointed poor Managers and invested weakly, and within a culture of neglect.

Tony has - at least so far - addressed the investment and neglect, and for a while it looked like he'd successfully addressed the Manager issue.

Ne that bit is by no means as clear, and the only way it will become clear is over time.

Eithet Bruce will do his job, motivate players, select good sides, play decent tactics ( as by common consent he largely did earlier) and we and he will be fine, or he won't do his job, and he and us will not be fine.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

This might get a lot of disagreement, but I do feel that Bruce should have kept the dispute with McCormack private as ultimately the club have spent a fortune in transfers and wages on him and now it feels like there is no way back.

I am not defending the players actions, in some ways i admire Bruce for taking a stand, but I just don't understand what was gained from it. We now have another ludicrously expensive player on high wages at a direct rival and we are subsidising his wages. After so many incidents with Gabby, Grealish and many others making us look like a laughing stock, I just feel this should have been handled privately.

Yes he's a dick so fine the player, drop the player. But don't make the whole thing into a public shaming. Even if just so it would be easier to sell him without a 'bad egg' reputation.

The thing is everyone would be questioning why McCormack has been frozen out with no explanation I support his decision

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

The press had a hold of the story, Bruce was left with no other option than to get ahead of it.

Plus, they had tried everything else. I think they genuinely wanted the last ditch kick up the arse to work because he is a **** good player underneath it all.

They had been handling it privately for 4 months.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Yeah, two examples in the last 25 years...

LIke I said, IF we find a manager who can be long term, fine. 

But going out with the goal of finding the next alex ferguson doesn't work. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

True say mate but I think we have had quite a easy run recently and have fallen even further behind. We have a lot of tough games coming up so I cant see us going on the run capable of getting in top 6

Sadly I think you're probably right. But a man's got to have a dream.....

Ahhhh Stevie B!

I love your honest forthright views. I love the fact you genuinely appear thrilled to be here. I love the fact your have 4 promotions from this league with teams with worse players and smaller resources. I love the fact you instantly recognised we had no midfield and made it your number one aim to buy a new one this January. I love the fact you demand everyone pulls their weight and that you won't stand for people who don't. I love the fact your signings are exactly the ones most fans would have gone for. 

However, what I don't love is the fact we are playing some of the worst football I've seen and there appears to be no 'style' of play whatsoever

That being said, there's a lot of new players that need to bed in and what I want to see before the season is out is them gelling and giving us optimism for next seasons championship challenge. 

Come on Steve, you're doing so well until we actually get on the pitch! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

There are so many sensible posts to sift through, there are so many comments of mitigation, there are so many ,understand the problems he has.

and then comes the but...

you cannot change what has happened.

There is no but, we have lost, the manager knows we have lost and he is as pissed off as us....and knows what is wrong.....he has to fix it.

He knows that.

don't keep flogging the donkey.

He will get it right.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ahhhh Stevie B!

I love your honest forthright views. I love the fact you genuinely appear thrilled to be here. I love the fact your have 4 promotions from this league with teams with worse players and smaller resources. I love the fact you instantly recognised we had no midfield and made it your number one aim to buy a new one this January. I love the fact you demand everyone pulls their weight and that you won't stand for people who don't. I love the fact your signings are exactly the ones most fans would have gone for. 

However, what I don't love is the fact we are playing some of the worst football I've seen and there appears to be no 'style' of play whatsoever

That being said, there's a lot of new players that need to bed in and what I want to see before the season is out is them gelling and giving us optimism for next seasons championship challenge. 

Come on Steve, you're doing so well until we actually get on the pitch! 

Look, I am not being critical because you write some good stuff

but, you say there has been a lot of new players and they need to bed in, but

and then proceed to say that is not mitigation, we should have won.

We all want to win.......we are work in progress.

don't agree and proceed to say but........He is working on it.

its not acceptable and he knows that, but you can't turn the clock back.....you have to move on and attempt to get it right.

Â