Next Villa Manager

Richard

I am not enthralled by Bruce, but would accept it. He may be uninspiring but we just need to get back upstairs, and he is a steady pair of hands with experience.

We would all be content if we started winning and climbing the table. He is a round peg in round hole man, which is exactly what we need if I am being honest. What happens if and when we go up is Tony's issue.

For me Wagner is too much of a risk at the moment and where we are currently. Tony can afford him if he proves he is the real deal in time.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

If it is down to two then if they are in work I'm surprised nothing has leaked yet. You get down to two then you are sure they are both interested and their club will allow them to be interviewed, if indeed they are employed. We have heard nothing though. No official approach to any clubs and nothing leaked which I'd have expected by now if a manager from another club was to be interviewed.

I think it will be Bruce.

I'd agree that Bruce isn't the most inspiring option but to be honest I'd just like to get rid of that crushing feeling of despair and misery that I feel every game, and to stop us being a complete laughing stock circus of a club. 

I think Bruce would address that.

Inspiration can come later.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sne said:

Funny, read it as it was down to 3 candidates not 2 as reported :blink:

Then again English is not my first language...

Me too, but the bracket makes it vague - suppose it wouldn't be Tony without a little ambiguity thrown in.  Appreciated the tweet though

Edited by Gary Thomas

I'm leaning more towards that we actually need to gamble.

Bruce would probably come in and do a solid job, but that will not be enough to help us this season unless we are very lucky. IMO Bruce's highest level isn't high enough. Failing promotion and starting next season in the Championship with Bruce would be time and potential wasted as I can't see him building anything here in the long term.

To achieve promotion this season we need a jackpot with our next manager. I have no idea if Wagner is that person, he certainly didn't hit the ground running at Huddersfield, but I'd still like him to be given the chance because even if we fail to gain promotion under him this season. I think we'd be in a very good position when the next season starts,

With Bruce I just foresee a 5-3-2 with Huddlestone brought in during January and an almost, but not quite good enough 8th place finish, followed by him sacked at this time next season.

All speculation based on my prejudice towards Bruce and his ilk. But atm all we can do is speculate.

• Like 2

Bruce is the easiest candidate to approach he's not in work so there's no one in the chain. His CV is there for all to see so it'd come down to how he gets on with the Dr. If we are after a manager who is in a job it gets a lot more complicated. Firstly do they want to come. Then it gets tricky. Someone in work wouldn't want it to become public knowledge unless they're guaranteed to get the job also the club wouldn't want it to get out incase they  didn't fancy then in the end. No one wants to think they're 2nd choice in a new job. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He  said it is down to 3 (not as reported) 2. I don't get the confusion as that says Three to me.

I read it as it was down to 3 (but not the reported ones) and now down to 2.

I'd would have thought the 3 were Clarke, Bruce and Wagner, but who knows now.  Kind of impressed it's being kept pretty quiet though.  I feel it's being done seriously.

• Like 1