Next Villa Manager

Richard

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Richard, I don't think you have come to terms with our demise and the effect of it

Not sure how you come to that opinion to be honest , in fact you should come to the opposite opinion if you pay attention to my posts

i recognise we are in a mess and need long term correction

i do not expect us to get promoted this season and never have

i have previously said we'd finish mid table at best

in fact I'd argue that I have come to terms with it better than those suggesting that we can still get promoted this season and just need Steve Bruce to make that happen!

just because I do not believe Bruce is the man for us does not mean I have not accepted our position , just that I think there are better options for us. 

Bit patronising actually your line I've quoted 

• Like 2

On 06/10/2016 at 14:31, Gary Thomas said:

Think you may be right.  When you look at some of the rubbish we serve up on a Saturday - I do often question what the hell we are doing in training.  What often amazes me are those little training drills they do before a game.  You know the one, the coach rolls the ball to the player, the player does a little shimmy and shoots with just the goalkeeper to beat. The times our players scuff shots, hit it miles over the bar or wide astounds me at times - and they wonder why we don't finish more chances. Then during games. You watch players stand still like statues - no runs, no movement into space, misplaced passes galore, no organization, no energy - the list goes on.  Surely any manager worth his salt would see these most basic errors and work like mad to fix them, but they never seem to.  We get the post match interview - 'I thought we were unlucky, we worked really hard, we had two good chances'.  I sometimes think you could pick someone in the crowd and they would do no worse. Maybe that's what separates the wheat from the chaff - those that do well actually have managers who know what they're doing.  Lets hope we get one.

Too right. It's the throw in thing which gets me. How can a Manger and coaching team watch their players game after game after game just stand around not even trying to get into space to receive a throw in. 

Last few years throw ins for us have actually been a disadvantage as we lose the ball 90% of the time. Might as well go hell for leather to put it out ourselves as we probably have a better success rate of defending a throw than making use of it. 

And don't get me started on corners from poor delivery over and over to failing to leave a man up when defending one,  and not having men on the post. 

I agree we have been poorly coached for years I think and RDM didn't seem to change any of that. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think the thing with Dyche is that he has been with Burnley for a few years now so is not at the beginning of a journey with them like Wagner.  They are unlikely to ever become an established PL club,  the best he can probably hope for is to yoyo up and down the leagues. 

He will obviously have complete faith in his own ability to get us promoted and even without having a Vision sold to him by Tony he would probably feel he could take Villa up and have a far better chance of staying up and doing something. 

Add to the mix Tony WILL be selling him a vision of big things he might well decide the time is right to move on. He is leaving Burnley in a good position so wouldn't feel like he's letting them down or anything..... The time just might be right 

Agreed Sid. And in addition what about this... Money. I don't know what Burnley pay him, but what about if we paid I don't know... Double, triple? Though not the biggest factor for some, it's still pretty significant. In addition to all the other factors, to get rewarded with a massive pay rise would definitely make me interested. It's not like stepping to !eyton Orient, someone also mentioned an elevator analogy. Burnley fans couldn't surely call him Judas given the journey he's taken them on. I'd be impressed if we snatched Dyche, and my head says it won't be happening but yeah money could also play a factor. His future living, providing for his family and being able to afford better throat lozenges too, he sounds like he gets through a lot of them. 

• Like 1

Edit. According to this link

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/6603/Premier-League-manager-pay-contract-value-sportgalleries/Sean-Dyche-143663

it states that Sean Dyche is paid £420,000 a year. Wow. That works out at 8k a week. They probably have players on 40,000 a week there, not many but some. You'd think the villa job would be more than 8k per week. I mean Jesus we have gabby on 55k per week. 

So yeah I think money could be tempting. That and "the villa project". Candidates know we are looking for a hero manager. That is a draw too, for some. 8k a week for Dyche in the prem, wow.... Anyone know what Rdm was on?

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Ok I've done a more research than I should've bothered with but I think these are Bruce's top 20 signings by fee:

1 Asamoah Gyan £13,600,000
2 Michael Turner £11,560,000
3 Darren Bent £10,300,000
4 Abel Hernández £10,200,000
5 Emile Heskey* £7,920,000
6 Shane Long £7,230,000
7 David Dunn £7,010,000
8 Nikica Jelavic £6,630,000
9 Emile Heskey* £6,380,000
10 Robert Snodgrass £6,380,000
11 Lee Cattermole £5,950,000
12 Stéphane Sessègnon £5,950,000
13 Jake Livermore £5,950,000
14 Jason Koumas £5,870,000
15 Charles N'Zogbia £5,440,000
16 Clinton Morrison £5,420,000
17 Gary McSheffrey £5,100,000
18 Lorik Cana £4,930,000
19 Tom Huddlestone £4,930,000
20 Moses Odubajo £4,250,000

(*signed for Birmingham, and Wigan.)

Also of note, Lee Cattermole, Alan Hutton, Keiran Richardson, and Titus Bramble.

In fairness he did also sign Antonio Valencia for Wigan.

**** Hell...... I had forgotten about Titus Bramble. That signing alone should rule him out of managing anything, anywhere ever gain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Ok I've done a more research than I should've bothered with but I think these are Bruce's top 20 signings by fee:

1 Asamoah Gyan £13,600,000
2 Michael Turner £11,560,000
3 Darren Bent £10,300,000
4 Abel Hernández £10,200,000
5 Emile Heskey* £7,920,000
6 Shane Long £7,230,000
7 David Dunn £7,010,000
8 Nikica Jelavic £6,630,000
9 Emile Heskey* £6,380,000
10 Robert Snodgrass £6,380,000
11 Lee Cattermole £5,950,000
12 Stéphane Sessègnon £5,950,000
13 Jake Livermore £5,950,000
14 Jason Koumas £5,870,000
15 Charles N'Zogbia £5,440,000
16 Clinton Morrison £5,420,000
17 Gary McSheffrey £5,100,000
18 Lorik Cana £4,930,000
19 Tom Huddlestone £4,930,000
20 Moses Odubajo £4,250,000

(*signed for Birmingham, and Wigan.)

Also of note, Lee Cattermole, Alan Hutton, Keiran Richardson, and Titus Bramble.

In fairness he did also sign Antonio Valencia for Wigan.

Quick, send that to Xia before it's too late.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

If it's Fat **** Steve Bruce I'm done and will be demanding a refund on my corporate ticket they begged &begged me to buy. Don't care that he has managed sha a decade ago just hate the fat prick as a man and manager. Simple (and childish) as. It will be the last straw for me. 

Hope you get your refund. Hope you don't come back when we are promoted even more so.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hope you get your refund. Hope you don't come back when we are promoted even more so.

Posts like this aimed at fellow villa fans really and honestly trouble me greatly, especially as fans have gone through 6 years of utter shite . If someone has an objection to the way the club is run, or the product on offer then it is their right to do with their money and their free time as they will. Fans will be with this club long after the next lucky incumbent of the manager's chair.

• Like 3

Just now, Richard said:

Posts like this aimed at fellow villa fans really and honestly trouble me greatly, especially as fans have gone through 6 years of utter shite . If someone has an objection to the way the club is run, or the product on offer then it is their right to do with their money and their free time as they will. Fans will be with this club long after the next lucky incumbent of the manager's chair.

Firstly the person I replied to made it clear that he was corporate as he got begged for it apparently. Secondly how on earth could you give up on a club because you don't like a manager that has been promoted 4 times? To be honest my post was more to do with him making it clear it was corporate then his objection to no longer going.  WTF does having corporate seats have anything to do with it?

4 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Why do people hate him as a man? I can't think of anything bad he's ever done. If anything he comes off as a decent guy imo.

Well he did try to kill Frodo in Moria...

Bildresultat för the fellowship of the ring cave troll

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Why do people hate him as a man? I can't think of anything bad he's ever done. If anything he comes off as a decent guy imo.

I don't know the guy, but I'm making an educated guess based on the evidence. 

Someone hated him enough to break his nose. 18 times. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Exactly! I hated Lerner and refused to ever go to Villa park again after Mcleish because fans even took our time to protest about it and still he ignored it.  If a fan gives up on the club because they don't like his potato face or personality should we really care?

Richard this is directed at you.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Personnel come and go, if I'm still a Villa fan after last years debacle, then I doubt there is a candidate out there that would diminish my love for AVFC. I don't mean that to sound corny, but genuinely there isn't a soul left of team, owners, managers, and I doubt coaches or physios that are still there from when I started supporting... no one and nothing will change my love of my club.

I hated the McLeish appointment, not so much because of the SHA connection, but because of the boring play and absent tactics... but I still attended games, bought merchandise, called myself a Villa fan and sung VTID. And I always will.

I'd love us to get promotion this year, get a great manager and it all click and everything be great. But if it's not I'll still be here.

Fair play but the Macleish appointment for me was the lowest feeling I've ever had as a Villa fan and always well be. It was nothing to do with the SHA connection. It was the fact over 2000 fans went to the ground to protest against the appointment and thousands more were against it on line. It was a pure F You to fans. It still hurts. 

I stopped watching football altogether for a while. Still hurts thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

He's on a downward trajectory, he'd be a short term appointment, dubious playing style , dubious loyalty record to those clubs he has managed and compared to Rowett he has a shit personality. 

Even thouse actively promoting Bruce on her recognise he shouldn't be a long term solution and we should get rid of him as soon as we get up, if we get up. For me the long term benefit of this club is not served by another short term appointment . I'd like someone to come in and build a dynasty and identity . That is not Bruce and if it is meant to be Bruce I don't want his identity imprint on the club

Problem is we won't give a manager a chance to build a dynasty after a few bad results we will be calling for his head unfortunately most of these managers that build a club up need time managers that give the club a immediate boost usually don't work out its hard I agree that we prob need a manager that will implement a style and give the club a identity I think that will just take time and realistically the new manager won't get that .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair play but the Macleish appointment for me was the lowest feeling I've ever had as a Villa fan and always well be. It was nothing to do with the SHA connection. It was the fact over 2000 fans went to the ground to protest against the appointment and thousands more were against it on line. It was a pure F You to fans. It still hurts. 

I stopped watching football altogether for a while. Still hurts thinking about it. 

Yet he did better than di Matteo with significantly less money

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yet he did better than di Matteo 

Not really the point is it?

Edit: Out of interest how do you compare a manager that takes over a team that finishes 6th, 6th, 6th and 9th in the top flight, with a manager that takes over a club that just got relegated after 4 relegation battles and has to do a complete rebuild of a team.  Define 'better' to me please?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

59 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thanks ! But why ? You speaking better fan bollocks ?! I've invested thousands and thousands of £ and hundreds of hours into Villa and will continue to do so, but as I said I dont get to go to as many games as  I would like because of work, yet still invested a fair wedge on a corporate seat which I rarely use. I'm well within my rights to decide not to do it anymore given we are potentially going to appoint a manager I dislike with a passion. It doesn't mean I love the club any less just my priorities will lie elsewhere whilst he is here. No different to any fan who boycotted the club whilst Lerner was here really. Edit Removed unesscessary comments. All villa fans at heart and want what's best. 

Edited by thabucks
Overly aggressive tone due to alcohol-no excuse though sorry all.
  • Like 1