Next Villa Manager

Richard

13 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Can it get any worse than RDM? Yes it can if we appoint Steve Bruce.

Why?  He's been promoted from this league on 4 occasions with 2 different teams the last time being this year. 

He's actually the stand out manager for me and the nearest thing we could get for a dead cert to get us back up again 

It amazes me that people don't rate him. 

People seem to think we can get managers who are way out of our league or seem to prefer unknown foreign managers or once again young inexperienced managers who are going OK for this season but are probably just the next flash in the pan who will be out of their depth and out of experience when at a big club under pressure when things are not going right. 

It's been years since we have had a manager with several years experience under his belt and that is what I want. 

If the money keeps comming any half decent manager should be able to take us up and Bruce has proved he can do that over and over again. 

To not want him is cutting off your nose to spite your face,  he's unquestionably he the most suitable man for the job. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Well after releasing your best four players ....for possibly fed up of struggling football is it any wonder those coming behind had a busted flush.

look its anyones call.

I'm not sure the stand out manager we all crave is that obvious.

Dead right.  There isn't one...........why would a stand out Manager be available.................

For me the only real question is do we want to play safe, consolidate, be risk free, and hope the overall quality of our squad - particularly when set against others once injuries and suspensions kick in ,( however bad we think ours is, many others only have one decent First Team and nothing else) means we grope our way towards the play offs.......................................in which case IMO there are at least 6 interchangeable names available, all the same really.........

.Or..........do we again try the riskier but ultimately more rewarding (if it works) Lambert/Sherwood/Garde/RDM route of 'building for the future'..in which case there are at least 6 different names, again all pretty interchangeable.

I think once that choice is made it makes little difference who we get from either group.......whether they then succeed will, like all Managers be down to luck (the luck of alchemy and the rub of the green) and time, or in our case,just luck, as time is unlikely to figure.

May as well just pick a name from a hat.

45 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

As this thread seems to be in demand every few months may I suggest we all adopt a standard format. 

*delete as applicable.

I thought it was a mistake to go for old and experienced/young and full of potential*

We should go for the opposite this time. 

Nigel Pearson is proven at this level/a complete knob*

Big Sam is worth a try/should not be touched with a barge pole*

Rowett is a Villa fan/Remember Mcleish*

Remember that Moyes did well at Everton. 

Agbonlahor shouldn't be given a fresh start/definitely shouldn't be given a fresh start/definitely, definitely shouldn't be given a fresh start*/should be shot immediately by the new boss. 

Good work, i fixed the one small mistake for you though.

Stephen Kenny might be a decent shout, done a good job at Dundalk and has won last 3 league titles here as club turned from verge of bankruptcy to an Irish powerhouse and just got a first ever group stage win for an Irish team in Europa League. Dont know if Xia would be interested in him or even worse that he might turn us down :o

15 minutes ago, claretman said:

I can't believe that Sherwood is featuring in these conversations.  What's the matter with folk?

I've had to tell a couple of Villa supporting mates today to behave themselves when hearing "I'd have him back" and remind them how he was completely found out tactically and WAY out of his depth.  The man seems to be revered on the basis of our FA Cup run.

Yeah, that ended well....

• Like 1

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

I'd like to know why people are suddenly rating Guidolin so highly? 

he did a decent enough job at Swansea last season and has good record at Udinese, Parma and Palermo

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'd like to know why people are suddenly rating Guidolin so highly? 

Because he did an outstanding job at both Palermo (promotion to Serie A and then highest ever finish) and Udinese (Champ League places twice on a shoestring budget). He also did very well to halt Swansea's slide last season and has paid for some tough fixtures/bad luck this campaign imo.

Let's steady the ship. I'll take a safe pair of hands. I've been calling for fat sam since sherwood. Not a good fit at the moment but a Steve Bruce would be almost as good. Then sack him after a season in the prem and get in a manager like Southampton might have had. What's Niger Adkins up to? 

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well its old news now I suppose, (and mercifully RDM going has prevented me from having to argue his cause anymore !!) but I am genuinely worried that is where we are now at........a new guy having to prove he deserves time rather than it being something he starts with.

Can I ask you Terry, are you ultimately pleased he has gone?