Next Villa Manager

Richard

I think given the set up with Steve Round and that fact we didn't choose a 'Pot 1' (tm Richard) manager last time out, we'll go for a Pot 2/3 manager and I 'd be happy with that.

Wagner first for me, would be happy with Warburton too.  Can't see us being able to get Howe or Dyche where we are now.

I'd really like to be excited by whoever it is though.

Wow this is a massive decision. I dont envy Tony Xia. Do we go the experienced route.. big sam or bruce.. then have to sack them once promoted.. and even that isnt guaranteed. 

Or do we got with a young hot shot.. who may just struck it right like RDM did at West Brom but would suck everywhere else. 

Its a huge gamble.. and you look to the fans and it is hugely split between 5-6 managers if not more.. Some bellends even want Sherwood back.. I think Garde deserves more of a second shot than Sherwood. Timmy is the one who damaged these players. Garde didnt even get to buy a player!

Personally.. i think we have tried the young and untested route too many times. Its time we go with Big Sam or Bruce. Neither have had a chance with a big cheque book either. Get us up.. give them a bit of cash first season back in the Premier League..  and see how it goes. Sack if necessary. Surely though the best decision will be the one who can get us up now with a bunch of players who are down in the dumps. Wagner etc have not managed players in this state. Experience is vital. 

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Tim's personality cult. He told it like it is and he really cared, 'ad pashun.

Conveniently ignoring he was dreadful and by the end looked ready to keel over or have a breakdown.

to be fair a blokes just blagged his way in to the presidential election for the same reason...

1 minute ago, GodsBarkeep said:

We've all overlooked the fact that there's one man who knows the club inside out, has grit and determination as well as hundreds of appearances for the club, and can lead the team to glory both on and off the field:

3576.jpg

Its so obvious.

The hero was inside villa all along . . . . 

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

POT 2 Managers who are on the upward trajectory still youngish and may be able to instill a succesful winning dynasty looking for the big step up

Howe, Dyche, Rowett, Flores, Smith, Hughton

Unfortunately, the only manager who we could get from this list would be Smith imo. 

10 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I would like us to go after Wagner, Howe, Dyche or Hughton - Richard's POT 2, but I have sneaked Wagner in there. The idea of Bruce depresses me tbh, but would back him if appointed. 

im not sure i would, i just dont see a point to him, he'd do well to see out a 3 year contract, he'd probably be the straw that broke the camels back for me

21 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Very alarmed at the amount of people on social media that want Sherwood back.

People aren't clever. Sherwood fooled them and still continues to do so.

• Like 1

Whoever does come in next it will be hard to judge what is a success and what is a failure to be honest.

The lines are so blurred at the moment its hard to know, what 95% of the fans can agree on is that RMD failed, and spectacularly so.

I think most of us have already revised our ambitions for this season and I don't personally think we will even see play offs but I am expecting someone to be able to come in and actually get a few wins, we all know this is a tricky division and the games come thick and fast but when the likes of Brentford and Huddersfield are winning every week or nearly every week I don't think its too much to ask to be winning at least 1 in 3 games in this division, that's the success line for me personally. RDM fell well short of that.

3 minutes ago, GodsBarkeep said:

We've all overlooked the fact that there's one man who knows the club inside out, has grit and determination as well as hundreds of appearances for the club, and can lead the team to glory both on and off the field:

3576.jpg

So the plan is a 20 year plan this time..... The players all go out and get as many slappers pregnant as possible, and then hopefully in the area there will be enough new children that there must be some decent players amongst them through sheer weight of numbers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

POT 1 Old tried and tested been around the block managers who have succeeded and failed at other clubs

Hodgson, Bruce, Mccarthy,  Warnock,  Allardyce, Pullis, Mclaren, Holloway, Grayson

POT 2 Managers who are on the upward trajectory still youngish and may be able to instill a succesful winning dynasty looking for the big step up

Howe, Dyche, Rowett, Flores, Smith, Hughton

POT 3Current flavour of the month types

Phelan, Wagner, Johnson

POT4 Untried and untested coaches who have proved nothing and would be a massive punt

Giggs, Rangnick, Neville, Bradley

POT 5 Never going to happen in a month of sundays managers

Hiddink, Mancini,  MON,

POT 6 Tim Sherwood

Any from POT 2 please

Howe and Dyche are of course non-starters as is Sanchez Flores. 

Grayson is an interesting one. He has been promoted from League One 4 times, so understands what it takes to gain promotion generally. Put Blackpool on the map, steadied a sinking Leeds ship and his sacking there was utterly baffling, he had them on the way back to the top. Bought Huddersfield up, saved Preston from relegation from League one then bought them back up to the Championship. He's only 46, I am not sure why he isn't rated higher generally.

I wouldn't have him right now myself as there's one manager from those lists for me who stands out. I'm aware he wouldn't be particularly exciting or welcomed with fanfare, but I'm yet to see a constructive argument against Bruce aside from the fact that we might need to look beyond him when we're back in The Premier League. That's a risk I'd be happy to take. 

Promoted 4 times to the PL. Knows the city, knows the fans, actually wants to be here. Actually has a plan and sticks to it. Is an actual football manager.

Alternatively if we're going young then Rowett, but bear in mind his style of play makes Pulis look positively Pep-like. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2