Match Thread: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

All the problems are down to the midfield. No bite or anything in there. We have the makings of a very good defence and a very good forward line but the midfield is atrocious. Needs a Jedinak style player badly.

• Like 3

Ayew needs to be moved from the left. He doesn't have the defensive discipline and is leaving the already shite Cissokho exposed.

the strikers have been starved of creation. hutton and aly have offered zero in terms of attacking runs same with midfield barring ayew. gardner is going to get sent off therefore i would bring on tishy or move bacuna in cm and bring grealish on

• Like 2

We've genuinely been very poor. Need to hold ourselves up to a much higher standard if we want to get promoted. People are going over the top with how good Wednesday are, they're nothing special.

Good thing is we've been rubbish and they haven't looked likely. We have improvement in us with some speedy and skillful players to bring on. Bacuna and Gedtede off for Green and Grealish. Tishbola for Gardner. We can win this.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

All the problems are down to the midfield. No bite or anything in there. We have the makings of a very good defence and a very good forward line but the midfield is atrocious. Needs a Jedinak style player badly.

You're right, we need a lot more quality to come in. But the selection is hardly making things easier, no width, no creativity. 

• Like 1

I think two up top and Ayew behind leaves us too fragile at the back - one of those needs to come off. There's no way Ayew should be that one, he's the only player that looks like he can make something happen. Neither of the front two have done anything of note, so either bring Gestede off or McCormack if we're worried about his fitness and bring on a midfielder - I think with an extra body in there the other midfielders would look better and there'd be more room for Ayew to run at defenders.

• Like 1

So I see Westwood getting the usual negative bullshit in here despite him being one of our better players and having a solid game so far.  Gardner has been terrible and I'd really like more pace upfront, I'd have gardner and gestede off for tishbola and grealish and put ayew upfront, McCormack being not being match fit might mean gestede plays the full game tho

Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

Can't really blame Gestede, what's he had to work with? Did we even have a corner that half? 

Midfield aren't providing a Base for the attack to develop 

He could at least win the majority of his headers. But I do agree that it's utterly pointless playing him if we're not going to cross the ball into the box. We learnt this last season, apparently RDM didn't get the memo.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, supermon said:

Can't really blame Gestede, what's he had to work with? Did we even have a corner that half? 

Midfield aren't providing a Base for the attack to develop 

i agree had no service you cant blame him for that

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

0-0 at half time away from against possibly the best team in the division. 

We looked reasonably comfortable. Need to do more going forward for sure. 

Thankfully, some santity  - we have done OK.  Hopefully we can kick-on now.

• Like 2