Middlesbrough Match Thread

2 minutes ago, claretman said:

Wow.  That was exactly the same as last year.

Well it WAS only 3 months ago! :P 

Same old story today. As soon as we conceded the heads dropped. 3-1 defeat was inevitable after that. 

Theres a lot of work to be done within a week. Almost feels as if we should have got some more new signings in earlier :P

• Like 3

just back and one thing is clear, we need a new strike force as we will achieve nothing with gestede as our main striker.

he is just too slow and his movement is poor on and off the ball.

as for ayew, he played like someone who realised they're not leaving anytime soon... He was at fault for two of the goals Imo and moped around the pitch.

highlights for me were Nathan baker, Grealish for the first 60mins and both full backs playing well.

when boro equalised I thought they didn't deserve it, however by full time they deserved the victory.

a fair few positives but same shit, different day yet again.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Has anyone suggested we would or should be world beaters?

No, but a lot of people across Twitter and on this site are claiming its 'the same old Villa', and 'it's ruined my weekend', and 'I'm really pissed off'...

why?

Anyone with any sense or anyone who knew the slightest bit about football would understand that we're shit. We've been shit for the last 5 years. We were extra shit last season and we're still shit because we've only signed 2 outfield players, 1 of whom has only played 13 matches at this level.

We're crap. And until we sign a RB, a CM, two wingers and a striker, we're going to be crap for a long time.

Its hardly rocket science.

• Like 3

Well my daughter enjoyed herself

Especially the burger before the game, chips at half time and the doughnuts on the way home! 

As for the game itself, we are so weak in midfield it is frightening. None of Gardner, Westwood or Tsihbola did anything of note and we're bypassed way too easily. 

I thought Elphick and Baker did ok but that was about it. 

Ayew tries to do way too much and would be better off keeping it simple, Grealish did ok first half, Hutton and Cissoko were average and Gestede was non existent. 

• Like 3

My Dad wasn't watching, I texted him at HT saying we were 1 up. Had a text off him after the game saying "What was the final score? Did we hold on or succumb to three late goals?"

We're so predictable!

• Like 1

I thought Hutton did very well today, worked hard, made things happen. A lot of shite on display, he was far from the worst.

I was getting pissed off with Grealish, it was like Rooney for England, hanging around outside the box knocking it sideways offering exactly nothing in attack, then going over with every breathe of wind.

This Squad will not be troubling the top 6.

Edited by Genie

Went to the game. First half defended well and looked in control, second half same mistakes. In terms of attack, the big problem is no movement off the ball and no width.  On the right we have Hutton and Bacuna who are just not very good going forward.  On the left we have Aly Cissokho who just stands there and never makes a run off the ball or takes his man on.  In the middle we have Rudy who dooesn't anticipate where the ball is going or make runs into the box - he is ridiculously slow and cumbersome.  Because we lack width and movement there is no outlet and we end up trying to play through a packed middle and getting nowhere. I honestly think if we had two attacking wide men hugging the sides and a decent striker we would solve many of our attacking problems.  Green and Amavi with a decent striker would be so much better than what we saw today. I am so tired of watching villa players "not" make runs off the ball and never taking anyone on - too static again!!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

All three of their goals appear to have been a direct or indirect result of players up the pitch failing to execute a simple 10 metre pass to a teammate.

• Like 3

Â