Turkish Coup

StanBalaban

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Erdogan had the best night of his career - those that opposed him were tempted out of hiding, those that support him were victorious against his enemy, he got the support of the US government and much of the Western world, the democratic leader of a country got the people of that country out in force on the streets thanks in no small part to a majority religion in a secular country, a religion he shares and advocates, his military opponents have been removed, his political opponents weakened, his position amongst the people strengthened.

He now has a mandate to do what he's been desperate to do for a decade and change the Turkish constitution - doubtless referencing this coup attempt and attacks on the forces of democracy as reasons for adjustments which overwrite the principles of Ataturk. It couldn't have worked out better for him if he'd planned it himself - which quite frankly I wouldn't put past him.

. . . is the best analysis I've seen. 

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Erdogan had the best night of his career - those that opposed him were tempted out of hiding, those that support him were victorious against his enemy, he got the support of the US government and much of the Western world, the democratic leader of a country got the people of that country out in force on the streets thanks in no small part to a majority religion in a secular country, a religion he shares and advocates, his military opponents have been removed, his political opponents weakened, his position amongst the people strengthened.

He now has a mandate to do what he's been desperate to do for a decade and change the Turkish constitution - doubtless referencing this coup attempt and attacks on the forces of democracy as reasons for adjustments which overwrite the principles of Ataturk. It couldn't have worked out better for him if he'd planned it himself - which quite frankly I wouldn't put past him.

So the question is, was he somehow behind it?

Same has been speculated (mostly by tin foil hat people) about some of the domestic terror attacks that led to the new election 

6 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Its quite interesting that the Obama administration has come out against the coup. Most of the people I know, liberal or conservative, were actually pretty supportive of the coup. 

They also waited to show support until it was clear the coupe would fail.

Think they will support the side who wins, regardless. For stability sake

• Like 1

Kerry's first comments were incredibly vague and non-committal to anything, really.

Most of the West wouldn't shed a tear for Erdogan if he went. They know he's playing games, they know he's amongst the most two faced politicians in power today, they know he's actively helping those he purports to war against in one way or another, and they know he's using this conflict to feather his own bed and his own aims and ambitions, such as further putting down the Kurds. But they need to save face and be careful what they encourage. Had the coup been successful there would be a measured but supportive response for the new regime.

As it is, this has failed, and this is other downside of a coup. If it goes wrong, it's invariably unpleasant to say the least. These men are going to see the full weight of Erdogan's ire. They're already discussing reintroducing the death penalty. I wouldn't bet against the plotters being on the wrong end of a noose. Meanwhile Erdogan doubles down to prevent this ever happening again. He's already got the Turkish military top brass riddled with cronies, and has hoovered power from his underlings. He's basically a proto dictator. This might be the chrysalis to go full fledged, introduce constitutional reform, and before you know it you've got a pretty large powerful nation with an Islamist hardline bent chiseled into it's foundations.

• Like 3

Conspiracy theories flooding some forums about the timeline of events yesterday and today. I kind of have to agree a little bit. Seems very staged. A lot of military men have been played it seems.

• Like 1

The timeline is quite interesting. According to Erdogan, they bombed his holiday villa after he left it. It was during this time that various vague statements were made, and then when it's known that they didn't get him, statements left, right and center. Very, very murky happenings here.

Poor Turkey... 

It does look a bit suspicious when it was apparently a military coup by only a small minority of soldiers, yet since then over 2000 judges have been removed from duty, along with other various high ranking judiciary officials. 

Most likely Erdogan just taking advantage of the situation though to purge elements that don't agree with him.

Edited by andym

It's interesting to see the media reaction swing again - the message in the media last night was about Erdogan being vulnerable, about him having to now find ways to heal and build bridges or be in a difficult spot - I'm not sure that matches conditions on the ground and I'm interested in what's behind the message were being fed.

The US reaction to the suggestion from within Turkey that the coup was (at the very least) founded on US soil by the Turkish cleric there is also interesting, they've gone from their initial "errm"to "we support the democratically elected to government of Mr Erdogan" to "watch yourself sunshine". 

The US likes controlled dictators in key strategic countries that aren't westernised - I think an emboldened Erdogan threatens to push against that control and there's an interesting balance going on at the moment.

I'm not suggesting Erdogan is in any way a good man, a democrat or a progressive.

But we know nothing of what the coup leaders would have caused in that country. To simply want change without knowing what that change would be suggests that as a 'culture' we have absolutely no ability to learn any lessons from recent or historic experience.

To do the same thing and expect different results....

Apparently there is a coup unfolding in Armenia as we speak.

One person has reportedly been killed and a number of people wounded after the building in the capital Yerevan was stormed by gunmen

Gunman have stormed the police headquarters in Armenia leading to fears of an attempted coup in the country.

One person has reportedly been killed and a number of people wounded at the building in the capital Yerevan.

It is also being reported that a number of people have been taken hostage, including the local police chief.

Snipers have been seen gathering near the building and locals have complained that Facebook has been taken down.

It is thought the gunmen are demanding the release of Armenian opposition figure Jirair Sefilyan.

He has previously called for a "change of power" and an "armed rebellion" in the country.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/armenia-attempted-coup-gunmen-storm-8436891

Edited by sexbelowsound

Â