Turkish Coup

StanBalaban

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting to see the media reaction swing again - the message in the media last night was about Erdogan being vulnerable, about him having to now find ways to heal and build bridges or be in a difficult spot - I'm not sure that matches conditions on the ground and I'm interested in what's behind the message were being fed.

The US reaction to the suggestion from within Turkey that the coup was (at the very least) founded on US soil by the Turkish cleric there is also interesting, they've gone from their initial "errm"to "we support the democratically elected to government of Mr Erdogan" to "watch yourself sunshine". 

The US likes controlled dictators in key strategic countries that aren't westernised - I think an emboldened Erdogan threatens to push against that control and there's an interesting balance going on at the moment.

Well Fox news had one former General/CIA/neocon after another and they were all delighted that Erdogan was gone, until he wasn't. 

A large number of things stink about this. They have now arrested the Turkish head of Incirlik airbase and accused him as being a coup ringleader. That's the base where the US operate from and store all their nukes and I'm sure all sorts of CIA types. If a whole bunch of helicopters and jets were launched from there, I find it hard to believe they didn't notice. Also, this happened exactly after US markets closed. Gulen himself is somehow able to move to the US and be heavily involved in the establishment of an Islamic charter school operation with significant holdings in Texas per TYT network reporting. They also assert that it's quite likely that he, at the very least, was a CIA asset.

So the military/neocon portion of US society sees things one way and I suspect the other side would have frowned and made all the standard statements but been quite happy with his ouster. Turkey is no longer a democracy. Turkey is now heading clearly in the direction of being a neo/proto-Ottoman empire. 

How this effects the recent US/Russian plan to solve the Syrian issue is gonna be interesting...

Just now, snowychap said:

That's just silly. We all know that teachers have no spare time - certainly not enough to do any couping! :D

Does that Pigeon hobby count? and no, not Pokemon...

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I bet we do a deal with them when we leave EU

I would hope we're trading with them, they're a nation with a huge economy, the 18th biggest in the world and larger than all but four European nations, they've got the world's 8th largest military and the UK is a major player in the arms industry. It's got a young population of nearly 80m people with good standards of education and universities and it's geographically a massively important trading place in terms of moving goods from the east to the west and vice versa. 

It's strange sometimes, we talk about Turkey as if it were some backwater of sand and loopiness - it's a modern thriving country in a lot of ways - Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir are cities with gleaming glass skyscrapers, decent healthcare, good transport structures and good schools, Izmir is twice the size of Birmingham, Istanbul has a population that's 1.5 times that of London, these aren't giant villages of sandstone windowless buildings - it's a big country with a big economy and it's almost thriving.

It got there on the principles of Ataturk, on secularism, on sexual equality, political choice - they're not perfect, but they are a sound principal for a country that sits between worlds and is open to influence from those worlds - Turkey through those principles recognised that and found its own identity - and it prospered - all of that is under threat by Erdogan.

I would hope that Turkey are a priority in terms of us doing a deal with countries - if we're not dealing with major economies in politically, financially and commercially important nations then we're in even more trouble than we think.

• Like 2

Don't worry I'm sure the UK is licking its lips at the prospect of selling Erdogan a bunch of military gear to keep his subjects in check.

Reporter: Um, why you do this?
PM: Well we wouldn't have got as good a deal as we did without a discount on some shiny new gear.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

Well, as distasteful as it is - the UK deals largely in two things, military hardware and financial services - we're basically a country funded on global misery - if we want success at that we have to be in the markets we have to be in. 

At least until such time as we can bring about some sort of change.

20 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

21,000 teachers have had their licences revoked.

All academics banned from traveling abroad.

What a mess, I guess schools are currently closed anyway for the summer? What is going to happen in September??

State teachers are not well remunerated either, plus you are at mercy of the government as to where they send you after qualification. 

The AKP mob are already attacking Alevi and Kurdish neighbourhoods in the south east. My kiwi friend who lives in an Alevi area with a Kurdish Alevi wife has cut short his contract in S.Korea and gone back to Istanbul. They're moving to NZ in 4 weeks. 

It's funny how during the Gezi protests, 3 years ago there was police presence and a curfew...now, nothing. They've been given carte blanche to do what they want.

Emergency "Cabinet" meeting scheduled for later today at the presidential palace. None of the ministers have received any information as to what will be discussed at this meeting and will only receive their briefing folders from palace officials prior to entering... all in the name of national security in this time of great distress. The Sultan is almost public & official.

I think we'll see some generous new powers given to Erdogan and before long a few (or many) plotters, or alleged plotters, will be hung and the Rubicon will be well and truly crossed.

Sure Putin will be chuffed if Turkey are booted out of Nato as a result of all this, although that's a bit of a long shot.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Â