Turkish Coup

StanBalaban

Turkey's president says all he wants is same powers as Hitler

Turkey’s controversial President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has sparked mockery and condemnation by defending new powers he wants to give himself as being similar to Adolf Hitler’s.

Hitler_Erdogan_3539319b.jpg

In a statement that surprised even his critics, Mr Erdogan responded to arguments that putting political power in the hands of the presidency would not work in a "unitary state".

He said there were other examples of its being successful. "There are already examples in the world,” he said.

“You can see it when you look at Hitler's Germany. There are later examples in various other countries."

The Turkish presidency at present is largely ceremonial, with most powers in the hands of the prime minister. However, when he was prevented constitutionally from standing as prime minister for a fourth election last year, Mr Erdogan stood for the presidency instead, and has used the position to continue his aggressive Islamist agenda.

In the meantime, he has been trying to change the constitution to formalise the situation.

Local critics used his words to argue he was becoming dictatorial, but in Israel they will be seen as another example of political insensitivity. Mr Erdogan has clashed with Israel on a number of occasions over his perceived support for Islamist, anti-Israel groups.

Online, Turks, bloggers and Middle East analysts all took to Twitter to express their astonishment.

Eliot Higgins, who has achieved celebrity status for his analysis of weapons usage in the Syrian war, said Mr Erdogan had achieved a first by managing to "Godwin" himself. "Godwin's Law" is a joke rule of the internet which states that anyone who compares someone else to Hitler in an online argument has lost.

Turkish Pres #Erdogan says Hitler's Germany an example of presidential system with unitary state. Yes, we have just entered the year 2016!
    — Cahida D?rsim (@dilkocer) January 1, 2016

Erdogan has to be the first politician to Godwin himself https://t.co/OQ3VZeDF6p
    — Eliot Higgins (@EliotHiggins) January 1, 2016

no idea how to say "jumped the shark" in Turkish, but #Turkey pres Erdogan praising Hitler's presidential system as model surely qualifies
    — Richard N. Haass (@RichardHaass) January 1, 2016

Officials immediately tried to argue that Mr Erdogan’s words had been taken out of context.

They pointed out his subsequent comments, in which he said the important thing was not the type of system but whether it ruled with justice.

"What is important is that a presidential system should not disturb the people in its implementation,” he said. “If you provide justice, there will be no problem because what people want and expect is justice."

The day before, Mr Erdogan’s replacement as prime minister, seemed to say the opposite, defending the proposed changes by saying that in Germany a parliamentary system had been used by Hitler in his rise to power.

"There are authoritarian structures coming out of parliamentary systems,” he said. “Hitler’s Germany was born out of a parliamentary system."

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

Surely the people of turkey cant be this dumb

Id guess that some of them are right with him and some of them are utterly terrified. You can be as smart as you like, you can know what you know, but when saying it gets you jail time it's probably better to be dumb.

There are some very disturbing pictures on my Facebook feed from a friend with turkish origin. One with a lot of naked men in what to appears to be a gym hall and one with more men in what reminds me of a place for breeding chickens. I feel sick.

On 7/20/2016 at 17:37, Meath_Villan said:

Surely the people of turkey cant be this dumb

I know a very smart Turkish girl in her 30s (phd, very well travelled, worked for a mega-corp etc.). When I mentioned Armenian genocide to her shortly after we met... blank stares. I guess that's why it's called indoctrination, e.g., check your next jesus christ exclamation! It really shocked me at the time, though.

I spoke to my colleague today, he got out OK but did get singled out at the airport as did all the other Turkish men trying to leave for an extra check on his ID card. Women and children not effected. He asked what the check was for and was told in no uncertain terms not to ask questions.

He was telling me he and a lot of other people don't buy the "coup" thing. He said it was nothing like other coups and he thought it was an elaborate plan by the current leader to get more power and push through his reforms.

Â