Costel Pantilimon

Villan4Life

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He didn't play for Watford then.

He's o.k, not amazing but again we seem to be judging these signings as if we're still a premier league team.

We won't be facing world class attackers in the championship, the standard of finishing will be much poorer. 

Fair cop , i thought it was him that replaced gomes , looking back it wasnt

He was one of Sunderland's better performers before dipping towards the end. Also competent when filling in at City. Not sure why it's being so negatively received.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Either way doesn't sound like you actually saw Pantilimon at VP last season.

To be fair, i think Mattyvilla thought he was the Watford keeper who replaced Gomes. 

If he did, then his comments are understandable because that guy was terrible!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Whenever I hear Pantilimon, I think Pokemon. 

"Costel, I choose you!"

Whenever I hear Pantilimon, I think Pantie lemons.  Now I hope you will too :thumb: 

As for the keeper himself, yes please.  He has looked good when I've seen him.  Old pantie lemons.

• Like 2

Never have I been more pissed off by an opposition goalkeeper more than him when we played Sunderland at home last season. Not because he was particularly good, but because he was relentlessly time wasting with about half an hour left to play.

8 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

Never have I been more pissed off by an opposition goalkeeper more than him when we played Sunderland at home last season. Not because he was particularly good, but because he was relentlessly time wasting with about half an hour left to play.

I think that was the one where the ref gave 4 mins of injury time.

Pantilimon got the ball during injury time, and time wasted. The ref booked him for time wasting, and then indicated he was adding all that time on. Pantilimon had the ball in his hands genuinely for at least a minute, if not more, including the booking.

Ref blew up exactly on 94 minutes. Prick.

(If that wasn't the Sunderland game then I take it back :D )

Edited by Stevo985

International goalkeeping choices are a funny one.  It can be hard to displace settled long-termers or get in just on form the way an outfielder might.  We (Ireland) more than most know this with our recent relatively unsettled goalkeeping choices with the pro-Westwood camp and the pro-Randolph camp.

58 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can't really comment on Pantilimon too much, I've not really seen him play I'm surprised so many feel in a position to assess him.

There are a couple of things I think worth noting in speculation with him and any other keepers this summer.

We've already made one change this summer relating to keepers with the arrival of the seemingly very well respected Massimo Battara.

It was Battara that championed Hart over Given at City an opinion listened to by Mancini and proven to be right, it seems likely to me he will offer and expect his opinion to be listened to here and what is more RDM will want it. So any keeper we sign will come with his approval.

It is also worth pointing out that Battara was at City from 2009 to 2013, Pantilimon was there for some of the same period so the two have worked together previously.

So if we are in for him it isn't random link it may appear at first to be and secondly if Battara is as good as reported, personally I'm happy to take his judgement on a player he has previously worked with.

As for the Romania squad, players playing for their clubs always tend to get picked ahead of those that aren't unless you are Jack Wiltshere anyway. 

Just my two pence worth anyway.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Any goalkeeper linked will surely come with the backing of what our goalkeeping coach thinks he can do with said keeper.  

I remain sceptical on any Mirror reporting all the same

Edited by Tubby

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I have doubts on the fact he cant get in the Romania team ahead of the clown that has been in goal during the Euros :P

Romanian #1 did keep 15 clean sheets for a side that made it in to Europe, he's probably just had a poor Euros

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I have doubts on the fact he cant get in the Romania team ahead of the clown that has been in goal during the Euros :P

Clown actually had a really good season for Viola in Seria A despite looking really poor here.

We are not building a squad for when we return to the premier league we are building a squad to get out of this division. 

He will be one of the top keepers in the championship, and has experience of it.

Good signing for where we are IMO.

• Like 1

Â