Costel Pantilimon

Villan4Life

Yes please to this as he is a very good keeper! Probably should never have left Sunderland only because of the emergence of Jordan Pickford. Much better keeper than Mannone who finished the season for them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/new-aston-villa-boss-roberto-8232488

Roberto Di Matteo wants Watford No.2 keeper Costel Pantilimon to join him at Aston Villa.

But the Italian 29-year-old Romanian is understood to be unwilling to take a pay cut to trade Vicarage Road for Villa Park.

Pantilimon joined Watford in January this year from Sunderland on a three and a half year deal.

But Di Matteo is hoping regular first-team football will act as motivation for Pantilimon to drop into the Championship as the replacement for Brad Guzan.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

If he doesn't want a pay cut and Watford need the space, maybe a loan to perm signing would suit all parties? When/if we get promoted we can then sign on a permanent deal (and look for a better keeper in the background with him unaware)

Not sure about this one.

He's usually pretty shaky whenever I've seen him and he seem to have trouble keeping his long arms and legs under control at times. A bit floppy.

Still, rather him than Guzan

I think... 

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're going to be as big as Real Madrid you know; but first, we must persuade Watford's reserve keeper to take a pay cut. Hmm.

Yes - Hardly a brave new world is it 

1 hour ago, mattyvilla said:

By far the worst keeper i saw at villa park last season , dropped everything

He didn't play for Watford then.

He's o.k, not amazing but again we seem to be judging these signings as if we're still a premier league team.

We won't be facing world class attackers in the championship, the standard of finishing will be much poorer. 

Pantilimon is a very decent goalkeeper and was one of Sunderland's best players. Their fans seems to think that he must have either had falling out with Allardyce or there was a money issue, as the reason for him being sold. He might not be amazing but as Championship club we're not going to sign a top level goalkeeper, I think he'd be one of the best in the division.

• Like 2

initially underwhelmed but having thought about it and taken on board what others have said, it doesn't seem so bad.

Must admit to being slightly surprised about the wages-I didn't think the difference would be that great between us and teams like Watford.

Â