White Horses

The Flashing Blade

Robinson Crusoe

Sebastian

Belle and Sebastian

Heidi

The Boy from Lapland

Just that subset of foreign dubbed kids TV that fits into this list

Tales From Europe. No more of that, now. Brexit bonus. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I have 3 moments of childhood that still cause me hilarity.

The Wombles

I loved the Wombles.  To promote their Christmas song they appeared at the Mander shopping centre in Wolverhampton.  I persuaded my dad to take me.  In my childish mind I envisaged being hugged by Orinocho, having a chat with Uncle Bulgaria and then popping to their burrow for tea. 

Instead I saw a man in a bad hairy suit at a distance of 150m with every single child in Wolverhampton blocking my way.  Every time the Wombles song came on the radio - I cried.  

Take Hart

I did a really good**  picture of Eskimos. They were sitting outside their igloo fishing in a hole in the ice. I chose this scene because you don't need to colour in snow.  It was easy, quick and used very few of my best felt tip pens.  I posted it to Take Hart.  A few days later I watched the show and my picture didn't appear.  What a travesty.  I ever lied about my age.   Tony Hart became my sworn enemy and nemesis from that day.  

Mr Benn

He lived alone.  He would watch the children play in the street.  He'd then go to a mystery shop, put on a costume and have an adventure in a small room at the back of the shop with the shop keeper.   Pure filth. 

** In retrospect it was a steaming pile of carp  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have 3 moments of childhood that still cause me hilarity.

The Wombles

I loved the Wombles.  To promote their Christmas song they appeared at the Mander shopping centre in Wolverhampton.  I persuaded my dad to take me.  In my childish mind I envisaged being hugged by Orinocho, having a chat with Uncle Bulgaria and then popping to their burrow for tea. 

Instead I saw a man in a bad hairy suit at a distance of 150m with every single child in Wolverhampton blocking my way.  Every time the Wombles song came on the radio - I cried.  

Take Hart

I did a really good**  picture of Eskimos. They were sitting outside their igloo fishing in a hole in the ice. I chose this scene because you don't need to colour in snow.  It was easy, quick and used very few of my best felt tip pens.  I posted it to Take Hart.  A few days later I watched the show and my picture didn't appear.  What a travesty.  I ever lied about my age.   Tony Hart became my sworn enemy and nemesis from that day.  

Mr Benn

He lived alone.  He would watch the children play in the street.  He'd then go to a mystery shop, put on a costume and have an adventure in a small room at the back of the shop with the shop keeper.   Pure filth. 

** In retrospect it was a steaming pile of carp  

Think I've told this before but my godparents (mum's best friend) were very wealthy*. Lived in a private gated road in Little Aston. 

Years before anyone did proper extravagant kids parties (I'd guess this was about 1978 ish) they had about 50 kids round their massive house with huge garden. 

They must have spent a small fortune to bring the entire wombles pack to visit the party.  The kids took one look at the hoard of 6ft tall hairy monsters and all ran screaming down the garden to hide in the gigantic wendy house and wouldn't come out till the presumably hugely expensive Wombles all left. 

They're supposed to be about 10 cm high not 4 times bigger than you.

* think I've also told this before but it turns out they were actually not that rich, the whole lifestyle was a sham and he murdered her for the insurance money to stave off bankruptcy. Yes, my godfather murdered my godmother. 😲

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, my godfather murdered my godmother

Apparently that's typical behaviour for godfathers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone into their car ICE (back when that meant in car entertainment) in the late 90s /early 00s will remember this. I desperately wanted this when I got my MK3 Cavalier in 1999...

Edited by Xela

On 11/01/2024 at 07:22, Designer1 said:

This show is always one of the first that comes to mind as a child in the 70's.

Kids TV was a totally different kettle of fish in those days. Pretty much zero budget meant very, very low production values. Crap lighting, loads of greys and browns, sinister looking puppets held together with sticky back plastic and greats like Brian Cant and Derek Griffiths ruled the roost.

It was fantastic.

Hartley Hare was actually quite terrifying. Like a road kill taxidermy project. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This song.

If I close my eyes, I can sense I'm at the Dome II. I can smell the toxic mix of Issey Miyake l'eau d'issey, Smirnoff Mule, Mallbro red, vomit and desperation. 

Halcyon days  :)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

This song.

If I close my eyes, I can sense I'm at the Dome II. I can smell the toxic mix of Issey Miyake l'eau d'issey, Smirnoff Mule, Mallbro red, vomit and desperation. 

Halcyon days  :)

Dome II? Pffft.  Child. 

This is The Dome for me.  And this particular (of 10,000 mixes) mix which I'm certain wasn't on YouTube the last time I searched.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

He was right. Picture texting never really took off. Social Media and WhatsApp is what changed all that. 

Reminds me of a Tomorrows World I saw what I now know to be MP3. They envisioned you'd go to HMV and download tracks onto your machine. There was no concept of The Web at that time. 

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

He was right. Picture texting never really took off. 

75% of what I sent were dick pics. The real reason why MMS was invented! 

The real Snobs, as well all know it - after it closed in 2014.

https://www.jackspiceradams.com/portfolio/snobs-nightclub/

Some good memories in those hallowed, and sticky, walls. 

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/snobs-nightclub-the-original-one-birmingham-may-2018.113314/

Some photos from 4 years later, in more of a state of disrepair.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Saturday mornings TV as a bin - lid in the seventies. Champion The Wonder Horse, Laurel and Hardy and the brilliant adult children's show, Tiswas. "The Phantom Flan Flinger," oh, how we laughed. 

• Like 1

Â