Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

He's from Nottingham and went to the uni of brum... 

Them lot down there will never ever see it as anything other than a breeze to pop down to London for the day, Wembley or spurs, easy for everyone, what do they need to worry about a ground in the middle of the country when all the infrastructure is so great and London is so accessible 

Same as its always been 

Its mad how many are calling for Wembley completely ignoring the playoffs 

Downplaying VP seems to play in the response of social media, which is largely from "fans" who've never been to the UK let alone VP, some of it is a genuine follow on from the ESL mentality, the game has to be played in a shiny new stadium that's "famous" because its new and swanky, look at the facilities!!!!! Don't even know they're born 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That Dorsett fella seems to be talking-down Villa's chances of hosting...

He was actually quite patronising and said everything but Villa are in the dark ages and a tin pot outfit...is he a Bluenose or something? F***** Word Removed that he is!

He usually reports on Leicester more but is the default Midlands correspondent given Pete Colley left SSN years back who was pretty much the Villa reporter in the 90s Ellis and then Lerner eras.

Edited by VillaChris

22 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The 50k capacity is probably irrelevant given fan numbers will be limited.

As for everything else, that may also be irrelevant if it ends up that Turkey don't want to host it due to their covid situation. If that happens (and it really should if they are serious about reducing the spread of their outbreak) somewhere in the UK would likely get it. Villa park is arguably the best stadium not particularly closer to one club than the other. Maybe Leicester's stadium could offer a similar package?

The camera positions are easily resolved, not sure about the press box, but presumably "boxes" that aren't being used for their normal activity could could repurposed too.  Not sure it's as big a task as sky are making out, but if turkey want to keep it, there is no way its getting moved.

Even if it doesn't happen, it's a big news story and gets us on the tv screens in a positive light.

Yeah I meant more for seasons when everything is full capacity again. We wouldn't be anywhere near hosting a CL final, perhaps a europa or the new league we'd be in the shake up.

I actually think as a compromise for what's happened in last few weeks they'll start playing the CL final in USA and asia before too long, actually surprised it hasn't happened already.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, thabucks said:

Found this on Twatter …

Populous plans from 2008… Glad it never came to fruition ! 

Yeah, would hardly seem worth it for just a couple of thousand extra seats.  Maybe that's about as big as The North can realistically go.  I'd be surprised if they did The Witton Lane stand again. 

As moving stadia talk is taking over the ESR thread thought I’d bump this one … 

Its a fantasy concept moving stadium as it won’t happen anytime soon, if ever.

I’m not as wedded to VP as some - it had its heart torn out when Doug tore down the old Trinity Road Stand. IF we were to move closer to the city centre for the right reasons and importantly the right design then I’d be all for it.

We are land locked and losing revenue due to the stadium. We can expand certain parts of the ground with the North Stand crying out to be replaced. But that won’t solve the crowding issues in the Holte Upper & lower or Trinity. Witton Lane I avoid like the plague if I can. Fan comfort and more importantly rinsing the 10% is what modern stadia are all about. We will struggle to keep up finically and the gap will widen year on year with Spurs, Arsenal, Citeh & Co due to sheer amount their stadiums make them in terms of revenue above ours. 

• Like 2

On 07/05/2021 at 11:15, Wainy316 said:

What does a stadium need to meet UEFA's criteria?

Surely if we just close the North Stand for the day we'll meet it.

Be located in London

• Haha 1

Hopefully this was one of the questions asked at the Purslow fan group meeting today.

The old lady has fallen behind but nothing that a little facelift and some rouge won't fix.

Edited by sidcow

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

As moving stadia talk is taking over the ESR thread thought I’d bump this one … 

Its a fantasy concept moving stadium as it won’t happen anytime soon, if ever.

I’m not as wedded to VP as some - it had its heart torn out when Doug tore down the old Trinity Road Stand. IF we were to move closer to the city centre for the right reasons and importantly the right design then I’d be all for it.

We are land locked and losing revenue due to the stadium. We can expand certain parts of the ground with the North Stand crying out to be replaced. But that won’t solve the crowding issues in the Holte Upper & lower or Trinity. Witton Lane I avoid like the plague if I can. Fan comfort and more importantly rinsing the 10% is what modern stadia are all about. We will struggle to keep up finically and the gap will widen year on year with Spurs, Arsenal, Citeh & Co due to sheer amount their stadiums make them in terms of revenue above ours. 

The trinity and holte are have large  concourses. Witton and North are though cramped- one is constrained by the road, the other by the 1970s design. One could be rebuilt, the other would be very difficult and expansive to do so.

The modern trinity was bit for the corporate but lacks the soul of the old one. Can't be reversed now though.

I don't think we lose that much revenue if we compare ourselves to clubs outside of London and the big clubs in the North West.  We have corporate facilities in 3 out of the 4 stands.

Despite its flaws Villa Park is still one of the top  10 grounds or so  in the country and could be made into something really top notch again.

Spurs have built a stand behind a goal with no corporate like the Holte so that shouldn't be an issue.

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hopefully this was one of the questions asked at the Purslow fan group meeting today.

The old lady has fallen behind but nothing that a little facelift and some rouge won't fix.

And about £100 million quid. Or approximately 2 John McGinn's lol.

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’m not as wedded to VP as some - it had its heart torn out when Doug tore down the old Trinity Road Stand.

If I were a multi billionare, I'd rebuild the Trinity with an exterior that's a faithul replica of the original. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

If I were a multi billionare, I'd rebuild the Trinity with an exterior that's a faithul replica of the original. 

ye the Trinity Stand facia is beautiful and unique imo, we would defo need to keep it!

I wonder if the council will support CPO for houses around the ground to aid expansion, with the lost houses to be replaced with flats at the far end of the site behind the North Stand. Nelson Road & Holte Road hinder meaningful expansion. If you look at aerial view of the witton compared to the trinity, it is half the depth. Building over the road is straightforward enough but would impinge on people’s right to light… 

If we could purchase and demolish these houses then the witton can be become a new 3 tier stand. This route is more realistic and palatable to the unknowns of relocation ( which isn’t happening ) … 

C7CBA93D-0691-4219-9913-5A4FA866A951.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if the council will support CPO for houses around the ground to aid expansion, with the lost houses to be replaced with flats at the far end of the site behind the North Stand. Nelson Road & Holte Road hinder meaningful expansion. If you look at aerial view of the witton compared to the trinity, it is half the depth. Building over the road is straightforward enough but would impinge on people’s right to light… 

If we could purchase and demolish these houses then the witton can be become a new 3 tier stand. This route is more realistic and palatable to the unknowns of relocation ( which isn’t happening ) … 

C7CBA93D-0691-4219-9913-5A4FA866A951.jpeg

When the current Witton Lane stand was built/expanded to 2 tiers, there was a row of houses demolished and the road was moved. Where the houses were is now the green gardeny bit in the pic, and you can see where the road was moved a bit, too. But there was a lot of controversy at the time. with residents (understandably) not wanting to have their homes demolished and light diminished. I guess that was 25 years ago, but imagine it would cause as much fuss, at least, again. 

Â