Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

36 minutes ago, imavillan said:

That’s a good idea.

I always thought that Warwickshire CCC should have named one of there ends after Ian Bell 

Never liked stands being named after people.  I understand why some people like it but people will have different opinions on who the name should be, based on achievements, popularity, longevity at the club, significant moments or even the person choosing is from a particular generation.

Ron Saunders is a fine choice and obviously popular but a few other names could be.  I think a non-person and definitely non-company name for the stand is much more preferable.

• Like 3

1874 Stand or the 1982 Stand would be nice.

I'm with Nick on the naming stands after people, the North stand is fine as is. But I'm guessing we will have some kind on new mega sponsor to coincide and it could use their name, if so I hope its cool sounding at least.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Never liked stands being named after people.  I understand why some people like it but people will have different opinions on who the name should be, based on achievements, popularity, longevity at the club, significant moments or even the person choosing is from a particular generation.

Ron Saunders is a fine choice and obviously popular but a few other names could be.  I think a non-person and definitely non-company name for the stand is much more preferable.

The Prince Willy stand? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The current North Stand has less seats than the Lower Holte - the new one will be the biggest stand in the ground.

YIPPEE AYE AH YIPPEE AYE OH NORTH STANDERS IN THE SKY

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think what's really exciting about this is that people underestimate just how big the new North Stand will have to be for us to hit 50,000. That's 8,000 more seats - the current stand only holds around 7,400 - it'll be more than double the size of the current one.

To get us to 50,000 the North Stand will need to have seats for around 15,500 people - that'll mean it''ll be 2,000 seats bigger than the Holte End.

The current North Stand has less seats than the Lower Holte - the new one will be the biggest stand in the ground.

Excellent, excellent post.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

When they built The Holte the lower section opened only a couple of months into the season.

The lower half of the New North Stand, or the Mallory Edens stand as I like to call it, should on it's own put Villa Park back to current capacity. 

I was a Holte End season ticket holder when it was last a terrace and became a stand. In my mind there was a seamless transition from one to the other and I stood on the terrace at the end of the 93-94 season and then  took up my seat in the Holte Upper the next. This cannot have happened! I have no memory of what I did in the interim and I definitely didn’t miss any games. I must have sat elsewhere for a while yet if you’d have asked me before I read your post I would have sworn that the only time in the 90s that I sat elsewhere in the ground was for a Euro 96 game and a couple of testimonials/friendlies. Where did most  Holte Enders go whilst it was being rebuilt?

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

The Holte End is named after Thomas Holte, famed for building Aston Hall. Just saying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I was a Holte End season ticket holder when it was last a terrace and became a stand. In my mind there was a seamless transition from one to the other and I stood on the terrace at the end of the 93-94 season and then  took up my seat in the Holte Upper the next. This cannot have happened! I have no memory of what I did in the interim and I definitely didn’t miss any games. I must have sat elsewhere for a while yet if you’d have asked me before I read your post I would have sworn that the only time in the 90s that I sat elsewhere in the ground was for a Euro 96 game and a couple of testimonials/friendlies. Where did most  Holte Enders go whilst it was being rebuilt?

You definitely didn't go straight to the upper Holte. 

Lower Holte was open for quite a while before upper Holte opened. 

image.png.8141d657631dc012cf67095a428a341f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, turvontour said:

It wont be that soon will it. Are you saying it could start building this year?

Well, 2023 suggested next year. I guess spring/summer 2023. 

If the are talking about it, we must have some solid developments behind the scenes already.

57 minutes ago, imavillan said:

The Holte End is named after Thomas Holte, famed for building Aston Hall. Just saying.

It would have to be something similar, something with a good local historical link. The McGregor End maybe could work.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

When they built The Holte the lower section opened only a couple of months into the season.

It was open, with limited capacity and no reserved seating and no roof right at the start of the season, then once they got the (more) toilets done we got our own allocated seats and then eventually the roof then upper tier seating got completed. I think it was all opened for a midweek game, Ian Taylor scored and we won, possibly against Chelsea. I met a staggeringly beautiful girl on the train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â