Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I reckon we will start on the north stand pdq. It will be developed much larger in terms of seats as that would be easy to do raising the overall VP capacity but mainly I suspect putting in state of the art corporate facilities and other areas behind the seats which would have commercial revenue generating opportunities such as hotel / restaurants / conference facilities. 

Also if he does deliver on his promise to make us the top team in China you can expect several thousand on the gate from visiting Chinese tourists. We will see more half and half scarves. 

Do this now we can keep open the upper Trinity whilst the north stand is out of action and we have lower Aston Villa founded football league crowds and development finished in time for the return to the prem next season

It would start and end with the North stand as we don't have the room to do anything more with the 3 other stands unless we lower the pitch. Which would be hugely expensive.

In terms of ffp and revenue streams, surely a couple of extra restaurants or executive boxes isn't going to stretch far in football terms.

Or am I missing something? 

14 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

In terms of ffp and revenue streams, surely a couple of extra restaurants or executive boxes isn't going to stretch far in football terms.

Or am I missing something? 

Sell the stadium name to one of his companies for £300 million. We're allowed two sponsors in the Championship he could get another one of his companies to sponsor us for a further £100 million. There are lots of ways for a seriously rich guy to get serious amounts of money into the club, it's how all the big names have been doing it for years. Emirates Stadium isn't just to advertise the home country of it's owner after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

Sell the stadium name to one of his companies for £300 million. We're allowed two sponsors in the Championship he could get another one of his companies to sponsor us for a further £100 million. There are lots of ways for a seriously rich guy to get serious amounts of money into the club, it's how all the big names have been doing it for years. Emirates Stadium isn't just to advertise the home country of it's owner after all. 

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd hope we are potentially considering a deal with the Recon Group or one of it companies similar to what Man City did with Etihad to develop some of the area around VP.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/08/manchester-city-deal-etihad-airways

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would start and end with the North stand as we don't have the room to do anything more with the 3 other stands unless we lower the pitch. Which would be hugely expensive.

In all seriousness we probably wouldn't need to do much more unless something really revolutionary happened but I disagree we could look to fill in the corners,  widen the wings on the Trinity,  or even put another level on top of the Whitton Lane stand by building over the road. Have you seen Old Trafford? 

It really depends on just how ambitious he is and just how much money he has to throw around 

The talk about developing VP is the most significant comment in the whole thing I think. If this really does happen I will believe he is serious in what he says. Unless we are actually going to go on a journey and were just going to coast along there is no way they would even talk about this let alone put something into action. Once I see bulldozers arriving I will be a believer

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

With a lot of rich randy footballers around - he could do worse than build a lap dancing club at the back of the north stand ?  

Can we add this word to the filter please? It gives me terrible flashbacks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is the kind of thinking which hampers us, of course I understand the sentiment. However it is 2016! How do you think the likes of Arsenal, West Ham, City etc cope? Even with a new stadium we can always have remnants of our history. That said I would also just prefer the current site to be upgraded. This reminds me of a few years ago when some people on here were actually pissed off about us upgrading to the new leather style seats in the dugout! lol

What a bizarre statement.  

Manchester City got their new stadium for free because Manchester hosted the 2002 Commonwealth games and the city didn't want a white elephant on their books once the games were finished.   West Ham got their new stadium for free because the same thing happened in London with the 2012 Olympics.  Arsenal needed a bigger ground but couldn't expand Highbury as it was surrounded on all four sides by houses.

I can see an argument for redeveloping the North Stand and I guess if we did that then the club might as well expand the capacity to the 50k we've got planning permission for (I think we'd have to upgrade transport links and parking facilities to go over 50k) but are we going to fill it any time soon?  If the team are up towards the top six of the Premier League and flirting with Champions League qualification like West Ham and Southampton have been this season then we might get 50k a handful of times a season (the usual games, Man Utd, whoever we get on boxing day, Blues, last home game of the season) but that side of things just seems like a low priority to me at the moment.   If the real money comes from being in the Premier League and collecting the TV revenue and sponsorship deals which come from being a part of that thing then investment in the squad is the way to go.  We can put tinsel up after. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

What a bizarre statement.  

Manchester City got their new stadium for free because Manchester hosted the 2002 Commonwealth games and the city didn't want a white elephant on their books once the games were finished.   West Ham got their new stadium for free because the same thing happened in London with the 2012 Olympics.  Arsenal needed a bigger ground but couldn't expand Highbury as it was surrounded on all four sides by houses.

I can see an argument for redeveloping the North Stand and I guess if we did that then the club might as well expand the capacity to the 50k we've got planning permission for (I think we'd have to upgrade transport links and parking facilities to go over 50k) but are we going to fill it any time soon?  If the team are up towards the top six of the Premier League and flirting with Champions League qualification like West Ham and Southampton have been this season then we might get 50k a handful of times a season (the usual games, Man Utd, whoever we get on boxing day, Blues, last home game of the season) but that side of things just seems like a low priority to me at the moment.   If the real money comes from being in the Premier League and collecting the TV revenue and sponsorship deals which come from being a part of that thing then investment in the squad is the way to go.  We can put tinsel up after. 

This. 

Not only that but as previously stated there is room to expand both the North stand and the Witton, fill the corners in, expand over the road. I had read that 60k was viable, but can't find the article. 

There's absolutely no need for Aston Villa to even consider moving at this stage. At any reasonable stage in the future, actually. Rip the whole lot down and start again if you need to, buy up the surrounding land and build a little empire. Just as long as you let me stand on The Holte again afterwards, even if you do call it the Dr Xia End.

I don't care if that makes me a Luddite.

Should we redevelop VP and the North Stand in particular could we not look at having the corners of the ground filled in to raise the capacity a little too?

I'm sure something like this was mooted at one point under Lerner but never came to fruition. Having said that, I do agree with others in this thread that have said that we should focus on the team first and get ourselves back in to the Prem before we start expanding the stadium. I can't remember the last time we filled VP for two games on the trot so there's little point in doing it right now.

45 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Should we redevelop VP and the North Stand in particular could we not look at having the corners of the ground filled in to raise the capacity a little too?

I'm sure something like this was mooted at one point under Lerner but never came to fruition. Having said that, I do agree with others in this thread that have said that we should focus on the team first and get ourselves back in to the Prem before we start expanding the stadium. I can't remember the last time we filled VP for two games on the trot so there's little point in doing it right now.

yes - obviously the team and promotion are the immediate short term priorities, but if there is a long term plan to get back to European football, then it makes sense to do major redevelopment when there isn't the demand for seats.  Knocking down the North Stand when we're getting gates of 30k in the championship is better than when there are 43k trying to get in to watch us storming the Premier league.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

In all seriousness we probably wouldn't need to do much more unless something really revolutionary happened but I disagree we could look to fill in the corners,  widen the wings on the Trinity,  or even put another level on top of the Whitton Lane stand by building over the road. Have you seen Old Trafford? 

It really depends on just how ambitious he is and just how much money he has to throw around 

The talk about developing VP is the most significant comment in the whole thing I think. If this really does happen I will believe he is serious in what he says. Unless we are actually going to go on a journey and were just going to coast along there is no way they would even talk about this let alone put something into action. Once I see bulldozers arriving I will be a believer

The reason why the Witton is like it is is because they can't build any bigger when they went for permission in '93. That is not going to change unless we buy neighbouring properties down Witton Lane by evicting residents like what Liverpool have done.

They also buggered it up by originally thinking the Holte would just be converted to seats. When they decided to build a new stand it resulted in some seats in L1 that are obstructed by the Ellis lower. It was designed properly at the same time it would have looked a lot smoother but hey ho.

Agree I will believe it when I see it. We all thought Randy would build a new north stand and apart from smarting it up a bit he has done nothing.

When I really seriously started to get into Villa 10 years ago I wished 3 things to happen- Villa Park  to be a 50,000 stadium, us to win a cup, and to finally beat United at home. 0/3.

I recall some time ago there was a notion that the current grounds and land could be sold for redevelopment, and a new stadium built near Millenium Point, both keeping the club in Aston and also making it walking distance from one of the busiest city centres in the country. 

It's controversial, and kicks dust in the face of history. 

However the trinity is gone, replaced by a corporate shell, the witton lane is an uncomfortable misnomer and I haven't felt at home in the Holte since I could no longer stand. Only the North stand remains of what I knew of Villa Park when I still lived in brum and had a season ticket. 

Just my thoughts

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

Anyone worried about potential renaming?

Nope. I'm just not all that sentimental, change can sometimes be a good thing like selling the naming rights to gain £500 million.. It'll always be Villa Park to me anyway.

• Like 1

Â