England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Just now, coda said:

Rooney interview on radio, no international retirement announced <_<

I think a new manager would instantly get plaudits if he leaves him out of the next squad. He's got his goals record now after all.

Bit like when Arangoes took over Spain and instantly ditched Raul even though he was still scoring 20 + for Real Madrid. Felt he was stifling other players and Spain then went and won euro 2008 and set off to dominate for next 6 years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's what I mean.   It's like all sports and political committees  it's run by people more I interested in what they can get out of it,  how much power and prestige,  how many  freebies and what fantastic dinners and foreign jaunts they can go on.  They have no interest in actually sorting out problems and issues in the sport.   I mean if they were to highly pay a load of talented youth coaches to go forth and change the game they might have to move their AGM to Rhyl and move their dinners from the Ritz to The Premier Inn. 

I remember seeing statistic that england had many times fewer youth coaches than other big countries, like 1700 vs 6500 or something.

It might not just be coaching problem. I saw bbc docu about mental health problems of footballers, and they interviewed youth players. All of them said that they want to be footballers because they'd make a lot of money and get famous. Would be interesting to see if italian, spanish, french youth players are the same.

heres what i dont get, sitting in the pub with a Irish, american ans Colombian lad and my ma, and we can all see the fallacies of the tactics/lack of plan/lack of pressing/team spirirt/motivation. All of you lot can see the same things, i just cannot fathom how the coaching staff paid millions of quid to sort it can even figure it out.

• Like 1

I actually feel sorry for the people of England. There's no hiding under the veil of football, no catching a break of any description. The country appears (from a distance mind) to be a sea of racism & bigotry, both major political parties in civil wars, the Scots out the gap (bringing Gibraltar with them), economy on the skids, must be properly gutting.

There's a lot to be said for whimpering along to an inevitable 1/4 final penalty defeat!

Hodgson found out but so were their players. Talent rich team of individuals who yet again bought into the hype. Though to be fair it was more subdued hype than usual.

To add insult to injury, Southgate is the 8/1 favourite at the minute!

• Like 2