Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

13 points out of the next 5 games  and we will be laughing. No reason why we shouldn't....

Barnsley,Preston,Wolves(H),Reading,Fulham(H)

We have won 4 league games in 16 months

We haven't won away since August 2015

Records are there to be broken I suppose.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

not sure why anyone should still feel it is a possibility this season.

the play-offs are still possible, though it may need a new manager to achieve it.

the promise by Xia of reinforcements in January also provides a glimmer of hope.

then there's the tiny tiny % chance that a new manager clicks the team into place and we go on a 10 match winning run :D

so its always a possibility, though less and less likely every match played.   

On 9/27/2016 at 11:58, rodders0223 said:

13 points out of the next 5 games  and we will be laughing. No reason why we shouldn't....

Barnsley,Preston,Wolves(H),Reading,Fulham(H)

UPDATE: 

Well we 've got one of them from Barnsley. 

So just 12 from 4 now.

4 straight wins.

You're right, it's hard to see why this won't happen. :)

Edited by briny_ear

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

UPDATE: 

Well we 've got one of them from Barnsley. 

So just 12 from 4 now.

4 straight wins.

You're right, it's hard to see why this won't happen. :)

I think with the squad we have that we should be more than capable of winning the next 4. Trouble is games aren't won on paper and we were more than capable of winning most of the last 10 and only won one.

If this squad doesn't get top 6, and with every passing game it seems to become more unlikely, then we have missed a massive opportunity. It is slightly unbalanced but way better than most squads in this division which to me in the main looks poor.

If we aren't promoted then the likes of Ayew and anyone else who shines will be off and we will be left with another rebuild next season but not due to having to prepare for the Prem.

Edited by markavfc40

Given the mess we have at management level and the mess we have in the middle of midfield I have resigned myself to not even getting a playoff spot this season. I was expecting us to be able to win games on a fairly regular basis in this league and for it to be an enjoyable experience. I was wrong on both counts. Same old Villa.

On 9/29/2016 at 17:59, markavfc40 said:

I think with the squad we have that we should be more than capable of winning the next 4. Trouble is games aren't won on paper and we were more than capable of winning most of the last 10 and only won one.

If this squad doesn't get top 6, and with every passing game it seems to become more unlikely, then we have missed a massive opportunity. It is slightly unbalanced but way better than most squads in this division which to me in the main looks poor.

If we aren't promoted then the likes of Ayew and anyone else who shines will be off and we will be left with another rebuild next season but not due to having to prepare for the Prem.

In my view Mark, the technical side of our squad is much stronger than the non technical or grafting side for the want of a better word.....We have a soft underbelly that is threatening to undo all the other good work.

We have players in our squad that other teams in this division would have in a flash, envious......However we have others who are just not cutting the mustard and are not doing what it says on the tin.....We have an imbalance that is confusing us all.....as the curate says we are just good in parts.

Our results are a stark reminder that there is something fundamentally wrong with the set up.....He needs to fix it.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

In my view Mark, the technical side of our squad is much stronger than the non technical or grafting side for the want of a better word.....We have a soft underbelly that is threatening to undo all the other good work.

We have players in our squad that other teams in this division would have in a flash, envious......However we have others who are just not cutting the mustard and are not doing what it says on the tin.....We have an imbalance that is confusing us all.....as the curate says we are just good in parts.

Our results are a stark reminder that there is something fundamentally wrong with the set up.....He needs to fix it.

I am not saying it is perfect not even close and it does lack balance but it doesn't need to be anything like close to perfect as compared to what else I have seen in this division I think what we have here is well ahead of most.

Play as we did against Forest, much of the game against Huddersfield, first half against Derby, last 30 mins against Newcastle, then most teams wouldn't be able to live with us. That however requires us to play on the front foot, getting the ball forward quickly and playing at pace. Oh and to be more clinical, and in fairness a little luckier, in front of goal. The trouble has come for us when we have either set up negatively, started slowly and played games on the back foot or late in games when we have started sitting deep and invited teams onto us.

We play to our strengths then we will be fine and as I said we will piss top 6. Of course the longer we go without a win then it will become physiological and overcoming that hurdle may costs us.

I hope the penny drops quickly with the manager as to how we need to play and that attacking isn't just about picking attacking players but actually instructing them to play on the front foot and really get at teams right from the get go. Just as we have when we have looked at our best this season. 

If this manager can't start getting it right then he will have to go as he has acknowledged himself this squad should finish top 6 and if, as now, that doesn't look like happening then that is at his door.

Edited by markavfc40

Â