Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We will, definitely. 

Truth is we are used to fluking the odd win here and there if we're lucky. 3 times last season. What we're not used to is dominating games and battering the opposition only for the result not to go our way, but it does happen. Even over the period of a few games, it's part and parcel.

I'm not suggesting we should be flying high at the top. I think if our luck were to swing full tilt the other way we could be top 4, but more likely we should be on 10 points or so. Over the course of 46 games that luck will even itself out, it always does.

I hope it starts happening sooner rather than later whilst confidence is still up so that we can ride it. 

Spot on.

3 minutes ago, BigAl said:

We have the squad to go up think we have signed well our problem will be getting it to gel before we are too far behind when it does come together we prob after Newcastle have the best team in Champ .

I firmly believe our squad/team is superior to thiers.

The 6 goal thrashing starts on Wednesday night. Mark my words !!

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Even that season Leicester won 8 games in a row or whatever it was to stay up they had up to that point being playing well but just not getting the results. 

Yeah - this is the comparison I've been thinking about.  It was the start of the run that took them through last season.  

Just hope we don't leave it till March!

13 hours ago, BigAl said:

We have the squad to go up think we have signed well our problem will be getting it to gel before we are too far behind when it does come together we prob after Newcastle have the best team in Champ .

Never getting promoted with Gollini, Steer and Bunn as our goalkeepers. That was our biggest mistake in the summer,  not spending good money on a quality, experienced goalie. I think we will rectify it next summer though, and as such mount a promotion challenge next year.

• Like 1

It feels very similar to that period when Sherwood arrived -  where we was performing well but not getting the desired results, up until that West Brom home game which was a turning point and we went on a very good run afterwards. We are really close to turning this around - keep the faith and get behind the lads. UTV

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DK82 said:

We are going to destroy a team soon. I mean like 5/6-0.

Agreed. We simply have too much for most teams in this division.

I might be doing them a huge disservice but I still don't yet regard Huddersfield as genuine promotion candidates, despite them starting off like a house on fire.  So for me, in reality we're 6pts off the top.  Not 10.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine if we somehow beat Newcastle? That could be the defining moment of the season

Addressing the flaws in our game,will be the defining moment of our season....until we do,

it will be like this.

This is interesting - http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#performance-score#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2016/2017#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total

Squawka do a 'power rankings' kind of thing, much like you'll find in american sports giving an overall statistical performance score. We currently sit 4th in their rankings. 

Team Rankings

(sorry mods, there is literally nothing on that page to quote other than those words)

I haven't bored down into the statistics yet to see how they come up with their figures. I have managed to figure out we have created 77 chances so far, which is still the highest in the division - http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#chances-created#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2016/2017#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total

Our overview from which you can compare us to others in the division - http://www.squawka.com/teams/aston-villa/stats

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Addressing the flaws in our game,will be the defining moment of our season....until we do,

it will be like this.

This post was brought to you by Christopher Walken :P:P 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BOF said:

I might be doing them a huge disservice but I still don't yet regard Huddersfield as genuine promotion candidates, despite them starting off like a house on fire.  So for me, in reality we're 6pts off the top.  Not 10.

They Haven't got the attacking potential we have but they have got durabilty, which hopefully we are searching for.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is interesting - http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#performance-score#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2016/2017#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total

Squawka do a 'power rankings' kind of thing, much like you'll find in american sports giving an overall statistical performance score. We currently sit 4th in their rankings. 

I haven't bored down into the statistics yet to see how they come up with their figures. I have managed to figure out we have created 77 chances so far, which is still the highest in the division - http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#chances-created#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2016/2017#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total

Our overview from which you can compare us to others in the division - http://www.squawka.com/teams/aston-villa/stats

We're also ranked 5th on whoscored across all their stats.  I know stats can prove anything blah blah, but it does show our current position is not a true indication of our performances to date.

Â