The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It won't be you. :(

You mean shropshire gold? 

Edit ignore that, didn't realise there was a "Shropshire lad" beer. Hmm.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You mean shropshire gold? 

Not unless you've changed your name from:

11-14-LAD-final.jpg

Edit: Bloody nice stuff, too. My regular drink at the local!

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I'll have to give that a go. Not much of an ale drinker really. 

Regarding Xia/takeover. I enjoyed his interview earlier. The football museum intrigues me. If done right, that could be a great thing.

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think there is a still a stigma surrounding the word "communist". In fact I don't just think it, I know it. So our new friend is likely wired to expect that any use of the word is likely to be derogatory. 

@Deisler123 - I think there is a bit of a language "barrier" to overcome here. I doubt Mike meant any harm. As he himself said, he is culturally inept at times! We even have saying, instead of "Googling" something we "Mooney" it!

You'll probably find quite a few communists on VT actually, if you stick around long enough! 

Thanks a lot.  Let's stop there. Back to football discussion. :)

• Like 4

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yep!

On that note I have a question before I hit my bed;

Is this a big story in China?

Yeah I wanted to ask this. 

I don't expect it would be, but amongst football fans has there been a noticeable increase in Villa related discussion.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

apologies. It was not the first time he keeps saying to me about 'communism'. I just can't stand that.

I have a feeling you will enjoy a unique kind of status on here because of your insights, but please keep in mind, many of us are still learning about all kinds of things, including China, Chinese football, the business culture there, what to expect, etc. Couple that with the fact that as Villa fans, we've been burned by dodgy owners for years, so we are skeptical of anyone new. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yep!

On that note I have a question before I hit my bed;

Is this a big story in China?

No, not at all. That is very strange. Typically a take over (Villa is quite famous (not very popular now) to football fans in China) like this will take the headlines of all newspapers. But no, it was not even covered by main media (1-2 news pieces in main internet media i can find). Certainly didnt hit anywhere close to the headline.

I actually had discussion on this with another VT user in private messages who is now working in Shanghai (he was born in Birmingham and supported villa for 30+ years).

We both think that 'not a big story in China' is in fact a sign of state support backing Xia up.

Otherwise he will make a very loud news coverage in China's media all over the place - because normally people needs that coverage to extend their business.

But, strangely, very little coverage on this take-over.

I wonder why.

Edited by Deisler123

22 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

No, not at all. That is very strange. Typically a take over (Villa is quite famous (not very popular now) to football fans in China) like this will take the headlines of all newspapers. But no, it was not even covered by main media (1-2 news pieces in main internet media i can find). Certainly didnt hit anywhere close to the headline.

I actually had discussion on this with another VT user in private messages who is now working in Shanghai (he was born in Birmingham and supported villa for 30+ years).

We both think that 'not a big story in China' is in fact a sign of state support backing Xia up.

Otherwise he will make a very loud news coverage in China's media all over the place - because normally people needs that coverage to extend their business.

But, strangely, very little coverage on this take-over.

I wonder why.

Oi Deisler

Keep it quiet for a few weeks eh?

This deal still has to have the go ahead from the respective leagues. I doubt they'll pass it if they think a foreign Government are involved.

So, is Deisler suggesting that China isn't a one party communist state?

That's not derogatory in any way is it? I thought that was a statement of fact?

I was under the impression that anything 'the party' didn't endorse or like in China didn't flourish. Hence the other view being clung on to by some on here, the fact that Villa are potentially being bought by a man from China must mean the state have some direct or indirect interest in it succeeding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I have a feeling you will enjoy a unique kind of status on here because of your insights, but please keep in mind, many of us are still learning about all kinds of things, including China, Chinese football, the business culture there, what to expect, etc. Couple that with the fact that as Villa fans, we've been burned by dodgy owners for years, so we are skeptical of anyone new. 

Deisler, in addition to the issues Maqroll correctly identifies.  You will find that some VT posters are just complete pieces of #&## as human beings, and some come here to do nothing but quarrel and be argumentative.  Take everything you read here with a very large grain of salt.  Oh, and IMO, better to ignore the posts that are most egregious than to interact with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Deisler, in addition to the issues Maqroll correctly identifies.  You will find that some VT posters are just complete pieces of #&## as human beings, and some come here to do nothing but quarrel and be argumentative.  Take everything you read here with a very large grain of salt.  Oh, and IMO, better to ignore the posts that are most egregious than to interact with them.

Hey now...that's a bit OTT, dude! 

I didnt read it that way sorry.

Well, you should have.

There's no need to be rude snowychap. Deisler has said sorry for any misunderstanding (not that he needs to, he's come to our forum speaking our language to give us information).

As DDID said, we need to occasionally take a breath and remember that there is a language barrier here. Misunderstandings happen (as the Villa Media team will tell you), so let's not get out knickers in a twist.

• Like 2

"

ASTON VILLA have met with David Moyes about a sensational return to English football.

Christopher Samuelson, set to be named as executive chairman of a new Villa structure, held talks with Moyes last Thursday.

The former Man Utd boss has been out of work since being sacked by Spanish club Real Sociedad in November.

Moyes' last job in English football with Manchester United ended inside a season Action Images

Aston Villa were relegated to the Championship after a terrible campaign Reuters

David Moyes' worst defeats as United boss

There is no agreement at this stage and the club have already made initial approaches to out-of-work Nigel Pearson and Roberto Di Matteo – though the Italian met with AS Roma officials on Saturday.

Scottish businessman Keith Wyness, formerly of Aberdeen and Everton, will become chief executive at Villa Park.

Villa were bought by Chinese businessman Dr Tony Xia for £60million last week.

NOW READ:

West Brom ready to Bag Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark by activating his £5m release clause

Have Aston Villa been bought by the Chinese government?

Randy Lerner departs Aston Villa with bizarre 580-word statement to fans... comparing Premier League relegation campaign to Battle of Bannockburn

Dr Tony Xia brought the Midlands club last week Reuters

Aston Villa Goals of the Season

Xia is chairman of the RECON group in China Reuters

Remi Garde's heaviest defeats with Aston Villa

And Xia’s aim is for the club — who he is claimed to have supported for “many years” — is to gain promotion back to the Premier League and become a top-six team.

In an interview with the Guardian, he said: “My ambition is to bring Villa to the top six in less than five years and I hope it can be [one of] the top three in the world – even the best well known in the world – in less than 10 years.

“Forget the past and think we are going to enter into a new age.

“I am going to spend a lot of time there, especially in the first season. I think I will buy a house maybe in the next month.”

Just click it

Looks like the Samulesson link has legs to it although I have no idea about him

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/aug/21/reading-zingarevich-offshore-tax-havens

"After sundry mishaps, collapses and scandals, both the Premier League and Football League have developed new rules and procedures before approving new owners, and the Football League led the four-month process at Reading. The requirements for owners and directors of clubs, formerly known as the "fit and proper person test", are that anybody on the board or owning more than 30% of a club must not have unspent criminal convictions for dishonesty, be bankrupt or have been involved in the insolvency of two football clubs since 2004. Both leagues now also require proof that the money is there, as committed, to buy the club, and to see a business plan which shows the club will be able to remain solvent and fulfil its fixtures for the season ahead. Both leagues now employ corporate intelligence companies to gather information, mostly from public sources and press coverage, about prospective owners. The Premier League also makes inquiries of the Home Office and Foreign Office to ask whether the government has relevant information about prospective owners"

Copied this across from the neighbouring Samuelson thread. Fit and proper persons bit stood out for me. I know it's from four years ago but it's still be a similar process wouldn't it?

*Four month process!?

*No unspent criminal convictions  related to dishonesty

*Buyer must not be bankrupt

*Buyer must not have an insolvent in two previous club insolvencies 

*Proof must be shown of funds to buy club

*Future business plans must be laid out to show the club can remain solvent and meet its upcoming fixtures

The next bit is the concerning bit for me though.

*Both leagues use corporate intelligence services to scope out buyers. Mainly through press coverage and public sources.

*Inquiries also sent to home office and foreign office to ask foreign governments about buyer. 

I'd say most of these Tony would be fine on. He'd probably welcome them asking the Chinese government for a reference. The lack of public sources however might be a stumbling block, and were hardly getting positive press about the takeover. If they haven't started yet it could be s while before the doctor can actually start to operate...

Edited by Duck