Who do you want as Next Manager Poll

Demitri_C

VillaTalk: Who do You Want as Next Manager Poll?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as Next Manager?

• Steve Bruce
    • David Moyes
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Sean Dyche
    • Gary Monk
    • Other

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I imagine Leicester were in a bit of a state when he took over in 2008 when they'd just gone down to league 1.

The job he did there was very similar to what Lambert did at Norwich, I imagine you wanted Lambert in 2012 like many did on here.

Actually I was unsure about Lambert initially (although later warmed to him) but unfortunately he didn't seem to do much to clean up the dressing room.

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Actually I was unsure about Lambert initially (although later warmed to him) but unfortunately he didn't seem to do much to clean up the dressing room.

I was no Lambert fan but he had a go with the infamous bomb squad. The problem of course with totally isolating players is other clubs just forget about them so we had Hutton and Warnock hanging on here for months on end.

I do think there will be clubs crazy enough to take on people like Richards and Lescott. If not here the MLS will have them I'm sure or Middle East clubs. They are no longer welcome here after this disgrace of a season. I think we owe it to any new manager to try and get shot of them and make his task a little easier whoever it is.

Edit: Just think in the last few years Stoke have taken Given and Ireland off our books when we thought both would be here until end of contract, they'll always be clubs who think they can resurrect fallen reputations particularly if we agree to free transfers or whatever.

Edited by VillaChris

I've said before on this forum that Lambert, although dreary and painful to watch at times, fulfilled his remit here. He cut the wage bill right back so we could recover a bit financially, and kept us in the Premier League. I do accept he'd lost it in the end but he managed to do it for 2 seasons keeping us in there. 

Naively I thought that Sherwood would be able to benefit from the work that Lambert did and push us on with a bit of backing again. When I was down in Bournemouth on the opening day this season: myself, mates I was with, Villa fans in general, were all saying Sherwood had used the Benteke and Delph money well and expected us to be more comfortable this season. No one could truly foresee the situation we've had between then and now with managers. 

I don't really know what we need this time around. I've said Dyche on the vote purely because he's fresh and positive. I think he's the type of character we'll need for the Championship campaign. But is he out of reach? Would swapping Turf Moor for Villa Park actually be a step down? 

I'd happily take Moyes or Pearson but no direction is guaranteed. I do trust that we have better people on the board now so will trust in that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

The key thing about Pearson is that he only "looks" like he could do that. Does he actually have any experience of going into a team where there are poisonous players and doing what's neccessary?

If we're just going to go for someone who looks hard we might as well go with Keane.

a Nigel Pearson/Roy Keane combo would scare the shit out of our players. get them in 

We could have Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees as managers scaring the players as much as you like.

But this lot of players won't get us promoted either way.

Gabby, Richards, Guzan, Sinclair, Lescott... won't suddenly become motivated, high performing players because some yokel in a tracksuit yells at them a bit.

We need the new manager to come in with a clear idea of how to play, identify what players we need to play that way and then be allowed to sign said players.

It shouldn't really matter where he's from (although I have my preferences) as long as he is tactically astute.

A motivator wins you games but a tactician wins you titles.

I wan't a tactician.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

A motivator wins you games but a tactician wins you titles.

I wan't a tactician.

I want someone that can do both. At least. Let alone the many other aspects required from a manager nowadays.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

a Nigel Pearson/Roy Keane combo would scare the shit out of our players. get them in 

They would lose the dressing room pretty quick. This is the only reservation I have about Pearson. I also don't think the board would employ him, cause he is no yes man, an that's a understatement.

Just because Pearsons highlighted feature is his tough demeanor.....It would be a small minded person to think thats all he has.

The detractors need to dilute the clamour for a misleading presentation.....and attempt a more balanced appraisal of him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They would lose the dressing room pretty quick. This is the only reservation I have about Pearson. I also don't think the board would employ him, cause he is no yes man, an that's a understatement.

But is that a redeeming feature or not.

depends on everyones thinking.

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I wouldn't want that combination, not balanced enough for me.

but what dressing room.....we haven't got one.

the not being a yes man would appeal to some.....but the smart money would be getting your way by persuasion and results giving confidence to the board.....its a moving feast

12 hours ago, DamsonwoodVillan said:

I've said before on this forum that Lambert, although dreary and painful to watch at times, fulfilled his remit here. He cut the wage bill right back so we could recover a bit financially, and kept us in the Premier League. I do accept he'd lost it in the end but he managed to do it for 2 seasons keeping us in there. 

Naively I thought that Sherwood would be able to benefit from the work that Lambert did and push us on with a bit of backing again. When I was down in Bournemouth on the opening day this season: myself, mates I was with, Villa fans in general, were all saying Sherwood had used the Benteke and Delph money well and expected us to be more comfortable this season. No one could truly foresee the situation we've had between then and now with managers. 

I don't really know what we need this time around. I've said Dyche on the vote purely because he's fresh and positive. I think he's the type of character we'll need for the Championship campaign. But is he out of reach? Would swapping Turf Moor for Villa Park actually be a step down? 

I'd happily take Moyes or Pearson but no direction is guaranteed. I do trust that we have better people on the board now so will trust in that. 

Hard to argue he fulfilled his remit when we clearly going down with Lambert.  Just because we sacked him before it happened doesn't somehow make him a success. 

Using that logic we can argue sherwood fulfilled his remit. 

And we all know they both were terrible for this club. 

Pearson was an assistant for years and years at WBA and Newcastle, no chance he would step back down to that. The pay isn't as good as a start, the status of being a manager aswell although I agree he dosen't really like the limelight so it might not bother him as much.

I've never said I want Pearson as number one choice. If Moyes seriously wants the job and all things are equal it's his all day long for me. 

But Pearson I think would be a good plan B. I don't believe he's the devil incarnate the media are painting him out to be which a few on here have swallowed up. As I've said before I go on what the squad at Leicester said about him as they were working with him day in day out and as far as I can see Schmeichel, Drinkwater and Vardy developed signficantly under him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I believe one got us to a cup final ;)

Then presided over one of the worst performances Ive ever seen.

I would have preferred to have lost in the rounds before that than suffer through that again.

So who's the fourth choice? In a scenario where Moyes goes to Newcastle, Pearson is rejected by the board and Dyche stays at burnley...

Who's lucky manager prospect number four who we'll likely get?