Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

To have a top manager like Moyes, with serious financial backing from Xiu, God, that would be an absolute dream.  For starters it would help us in the transfer market, and in terms of retaining our best players.  Suddenly we're not the rock bottom pariah club to avoid, but one of the clubs to be at if you have aspirations of playing in a top half premier league team - Newcastle are in that bracket as well if they keep Benitez. I know there's a load of work to do to reach that goal, but without taking anything for granted, that combination would give me a LOT of hope we could win promotion next year. No guarantees but surely we would be there or thereabouts. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

Pre takeover, Pearson was my ideal candidate.

Post takeover, the idea of Moyes is growing by the hour.

I echo everything that Gary Thomas says, we could almost overnight change from being the sinking ship to avoid like the plague, to the stand out club in the division who all championship players would want to play for.

My only nagging doubt is Moyes failures in his last 2 posts, although following on from Ferguson was a thankless task.

• Like 3

Its quite remarkable to think that David Moyes and Rafa Benitez could both ply their trade in the Championship next season. 

13 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Pre takeover, Pearson was my ideal candidate.

Post takeover, the idea of Moyes is growing by the hour.

I echo everything that Gary Thomas says, we could almost overnight change from being the sinking ship to avoid like the plague, to the stand out club in the division who all championship players would want to play for.

My only nagging doubt is Moyes failures in his last 2 posts, although following on from Ferguson was a thankless task.

I'd have the same reservations, a good start would be absolutely crucial for him.

Moyes has constructed entire squads before (what he did during his first few years at Everton were amazing) and is generally a nice guy (makes friends with a lot of his players, so much that some of them follow him; perfect for us). With the right backroom staff, he is a top manager. Only failed at Man Utd because the player's weren't on his side and failed at Real Sociedad probably due to the language barrier and not being adapted to Spanish football. Much better than Pearson, and our chances at getting Di Matteo is slowly fading away.

Also has a reputation. I'm sure the Chinese/Asia know of him. With a few good results, he could change his reputation over there from bad to amazing within two years.

Edited by meme

42 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not sure he's one of their best managers of all time (Everton)

He had some moments but they used to be a very successful club, sounds familiar doesn't it?

Wasn't Everton in huge debt and relegation contenders when he took over? Or am I just going mad as per usual?

Edited by meme

45 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Pearson is best bet to get us up fast but Moyes is the only choice for longer term planning ..... I can't see Pearson doing anything in the Prem and I'm not convince DeMatteo would even get us up.

Is he? Pearson is far less proven than Moyes.

• Like 1

One short close season is probably not enough to salvage our team and get us promoted at the first attempt. Whoever is the manager I hope he doesn't become a casualty of a crazy owner with unrealistic expectations throwing his weight around.

I'd take a top half consolidation to stop the rot, and then storm promotion the following year. 

• Like 2

Just speculating but if we get Moyes does anyone else think this Dr X's choice alone or the Reccomended Choice by the previous board?

I have a feeling Pearson was the previous preferred candidate.

Edited by dounavilla

Aston Villa managerial latest: David Moyes edges closer to Villa Park vacancy

The former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad is now the favourite

Manchester United manager David Moyes
David Moyes 

David Moyes is said to be weighing up a formal offer to become Aston Villa's next manager. 

Moyes reportedly met with representatives of prospective new Villa owner Tony Xia on Thursday. 

The former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad's boss is believed to have impressed Xia's associates at the meeting at the Scot's home.

Moyes has now edged in front of favourites Roberto Di Matteo and Nigel Pearson in the running to be Remi Garde's successor at Villa Park. 

MORE: What Tony Xia's latest interview tells us about the Aston Villa owner

Watch Tony Xia's first Villa interview

CLICK TO PLAY  

Play
0:00
/
0:00

Fullscreen
Mute

Keith Wyness during his time as Everton chief executive with manager David Moyes and chairman Bill Kenwright. Keith Wyness during his time as Everton chief executive with manager David Moyes and chairman Bill Kenwright.

His odds to take the job have shortened to 6/4 with many bookies today. 

Keith Wyness, who is expected to become Villa's new chief executive, worked with Moyes at Goodison Park.

• Like 1