Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The more I think about Pearson the more I'm warming to the idea. The guy clearly has a chip on his shoulder regarding the media but actually look what he did with Leicester.

This time last year Leicester had played 29 games.  They had LOST 18, drawn 7 and won 4. Add to that they had a much better squad than ours (this year suggests).  They went on a hot run at the end, but I am not convinced he is anywhere near as good as some seem to think.

• Like 2

All Pearson is is the flavour of the month and represents what a lot of fans would like to do to our players at the moment and kick their a$$. Problem is, Pearson would be a short term solution to a long term problem and isn't want we need. We need someone who has experience getting out of the Championship, and providing a platform of sustainability for being back in the Premier League, with half decent football too boot. Someone who can instill a mentality at the club from top to bottom, or carry on and work with the foundations that were at least being attempted to be laid by the previous manager. I'd take Brendan Rodgers as replacement for Garde, but let's not forget the Garde rumours originally came from the Mirror of all papers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No. He isn't.

There is no way on this earth that Pearson is the best we can hope for.

This is like when people said Sherwood was the best we could hope for.

I'm referring more to his managerial record as opposed to how he is personally. There is every chance he could be a disaster but people go on about wanting a manager with a track record of getting clubs out of the Championship and he certainly has that on his CV. If we are looking at a British manager I'd take Pearson over the likes of Bruce and Clement who have been touted.

As I've said I would still prefer Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm referring more to his managerial record as opposed to how he is personally. There is every chance he could be a disaster but people go on about wanting a manager with a track record of getting clubs out of the Championship and he certainly has that on his CV. If we are looking at a British manager I'd take Pearson over the likes of Bruce and Clement who have been touted.

As I've said I would still prefer Rodgers.

There are countless managers who we could attract, even in the Championship, who have better records than Pearson. 

(although, for the record, past records are far from all we should be basing an appointment on.)

Edited by Stevo985

16 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

All Pearson is is the flavour of the month and represents what a lot of fans would like to do to our players at the moment and kick their a$$. Problem is, Pearson would be a short term solution to a long term problem and isn't want we need. We need someone who has experience getting out of the Championship, and providing a platform of sustainability for being back in the Premier League, with half decent football too boot. Someone who can instill a mentality at the club from top to bottom, or carry on and work with the foundations that were at least being attempted to be laid by the previous manager. I'd take Brendan Rodgers as replacement for Garde, but let's not forget the Garde rumours originally came from the Mirror of all papers.

You've dismissed pearson then listed all the things we need at villa...which is exactly what he brought to leicester.

Experience of getting out of championship - yes

Platform of sustainability to stay in premier league - yes

Half decent football - yes

Instill a mentality at the club from top to bottom - yes

Sounds like he'd be perfect for you ;)

• Like 2

Pearson would be a huge mistake. So it's something I can totally see the Villa making happen. 

We'd be an absolute shambles to sack Garde and bring in Pearson with the players we have.

Also, if hiring Pearson is a consequence of Little advising the board on matters, then we are really **** as a football club.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

You've dismissed pearson then listed all the things we need at villa...which is exactly what he brought to leicester.

Platform of sustainability to stay in premier league - yes

What part of the miracle finish to last season to stay up was sustainable. It was about a 1% chance that he managed to keep them up. If it was sustainable they would have been around midtable all season like WBA this season.

• Like 1

Garde is gone more or less. His position is getting more untenable each week. Whilst it is wholly unfair to place the predicament on him, I would have rather hoped he could have got more out of the players. It comes across as he doesn't want to be here, the players don’t want him here and not sure of the board but I cannot imagine they are too impressed with things. It is probably best for all involved that change happens. I could be wrong and if Garde does stay then fair enough and really he should be treated without taking into account the debacle that has happened this season.

If he goes the list of names that are mentioned as possible next managers:

1.      Pearson

2.      Bruce

3.      Moyes

4.      Rodgers

5.      Southgate

6.      Monk

7.      Karanka

8.      Hughton

9.      Rowett

10.  O’Neill

11.  McLaren

Realistically we have 3 steps we need to take:

1.      Someone who is able to steady the club. They will bring in players or get the players to actually want to play for the shirt and can actually play football. Then get the results that would ensure that we stay in the championship (because if we play like we have been then we may struggle next season) and hopefully bounce straight back into the Premier League. The longer we stay in the Championship, the harder it will be to get out.

2.      Become settled in the Premier League once more. Ensure the team is one that will not get in the position of being relegated again.

3.      To produce a team/club worthy of challenging at the top end of the table/cups like we have been historically. Whilst I would love Villa to be challenging for titles year in year out right now I rather just hope we can play good football and go into each game thinking “we can win this” and actually challenge. Leicester/West Ham/Southampton are all proving that and look at where they are at. This season appears to be an anomaly but it still has happened and who knows what is going on next season.

Preference would be for the next manager to be able to do all of that; however if they can do just the first part that’s the priority and then that’s fine by me. That is why if it is Bruce/Pearson then I won’t be ecstatic, however at least they are proven to do the job (Bruce more so than Pearson – done it with different clubs). They both I reckon could do step 2 as well so not worried about that too much. Given backing I think step 2 is better

Of the rest of the names I do think that Moyes, Rodgers, Hughton, Rowett and Karanka give the best impression to me that they could do all of that and therefore one of them would be my preference (Karanka though confused me with his recent antics at Middlesbrough though). Southgate and Monk are a bit more of gamble. Monk only done the job at Swansea and Southgate has managed properly for some time, though at least has a Villa connection. Both are quite risky I would say. O’Neill is a bit unknown, didn’t do the job at Sunderland and I know he left here in bad taste – would he come back? Unlikely given that it went to bloody tribunal.

The only one that I can see being an utter, utter failure would be McLaren. If he is appointed then this club is wallowing in the depths of lower league(s) for many a season.

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Pearson would be a huge mistake. So it's something I can totally see the Villa making happen. 

We'd be an absolute shambles to sack Garde and bring in Pearson with the players we have.

Also, if hiring Pearson is a consequence of Little advising the board on matters, then we are really **** as a football club.

"We need some one to advise on football matters"

*Get Little in to advise on football matters*

*Little appoints manager based on his own footballing experience and knowledge of the game*

"Ow for god sake you didnt appoint who I agree with, you know nothing about football"

• Like 1

I'm praying for Hull to go up and Middlesbrough not to so Bruce stays, Karanka leaves and Pearson goes to Middlesborough and then potentially we get Karanka. Please imaginary man in the sky make it happen. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nicho said:

"We need some one to advise on football matters"

*Get Little in to advise on football matters*

*Little appoints manager based on his own footballing experience and knowledge of the game*

"Ow for god sake you didnt appoint who I agree with, you know nothing about football"

If that was my approach to it I'd agree with you. But I never once said I wanted a "football man" on the board, especially not someone who's been out the game as long as Little. I think the whole thing is a bad idea. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was as bad as we've been this season for a large part of last season with a squad that is now about to win the premier league.

He gets credit for their promotion, and ultimately keeping them in the league. But his record as a manager is bang average. He's the flavour of the month because of his strong finish to last season, when in reality he should have done a lot better last year with those players, as Ranieri is showing.

The squad that's top of the league does not resemble the squad we started last season with, not by a long shot. Huth, Fuchs, Okazaki, Kante, Inler, Grey, Dyer, Amartey, Kramaric all added to the squad off the top of my head. Replacing utter dross like Gary Taylor Fletcher, Chris Wood, Dean Hammond, Liam Moore, Paul Koncheksy.

His record as a manager is good, he's only had three proper jobs, twice here and once at Hull... which he left to come back here and never got to complete it. He's got us out of league one, finished in the play offs first season back. Left, come back, got us in the play offs, then got us promoted and then kept us up. That's not really bang average, especially when you look at how much work he had to do both times at the club. Shifting out rubbish on huge contracts, totally rebuilding the team both times he was here after awful management and squad building before he was here.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Isa said:

Pearson just played the same tactics every week and it miraculously clicked during the final 10 games or so. Really it would have been more impressive if those results had been spread throughout the season rather than a freak run. I don't rate him, at all.

I hope the board are in reality aiming a little higher but wouldn't count on it.

Well actually we played about four different formations last year, it was the switch to 5 at the back that solved the problem in the end.

9 hours ago, Isa said:

Freak run in the context of last season. This has been a freak season too but Leicester's success only reminds you that Pearson had pretty much the same team rooted bottom of the league for like 3/4 of last season. Their final 10 games didn't gloss over that in my eyes.

It wasn't the same team. Did nobody listen to the pundits or reporters who constantly said we were always in games, mostly playing well week in week out. There was only a spell for about the second quarter of the season where we were crap, the rest I always felt like we were very close to being a good team. The introduction of Huth sorted out the defence and we stopped all the silly mistakes.

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Or perhaps because Little is still close to Leicester he knows exactly what he did at the club, how well respected he was by the players and the staff and how his methods will work.

Pearson will want to change a lot, he'll need to cut out all the people who create the bad atmosphere and that can take time. He's no miracle worker, he won't walk in and make crap players good, or a bad atmosphere amazing over night. But you'd had a club with a drastically better set up to take you forward by the time he's done.