Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

37 minutes ago, dakid007 said:

Our players don't seem to evolve and improve. The same poor mistakes are being made 3 seasons later which tells me they aren't being coached properly

Westwood has not improved 1 bit in 4 seasons

How many coaches will it take to 

a) clear the ball

B find a villa player from a throwing.

:bang:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

How many coaches will it take to 

a) clear the ball

B find a villa player from a throwing.

:bang:

Add to that...

defend set pieces and corners properly!

and as for the throw in business I couldn't agree more it drives me potty week in week out we can't find feet off a throw in! My unders 12s team I coach do it better than villa do! 

Also never understood the 11 players back for a corner business!! We could have the 11 back plus the 5 subs and still concede! So leave a man up top!

not blaming Remi for this by the way its been like this for a fair few years now! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Aston Villa

This is the team that lost 6-0 to Newcastle. When you think of the turnaround of players we have had you have to question just why are they are (allegedly) words removed?

What are we doing wrong?

Why are we a breeding ground for losers?

It has to come from the top.

and still 6 years on, that John Carew penalty hasnt landed yet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The trouble with the players is that they have got used to losing.They think its the thing to do now.

The trouble with the players is that the majority don't care!  I can accept being second best/not as good as your opponent, but lack of guts and effort is criminal.  Big clear out required of the first team squad and then change the culture around the place. 

• Like 1

We need to change the culture....

We need to sign managers and players on the way up

.....not on the way down.

its not about what they have done......its more about (what desire they have for )what they are planning to do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3511551/Micah-Richards-Gabby-Agbonlahor-Dwight-Gayle-Fraizer-Campbell-relegation-battle-one-Premier-League-stars-enjoy-night-Dubai.html

Despite being embroiled in a relegation battle, Crystal Palace's Dwight Gayle and Fraizer Campbell joined Aston Villa forward Gabby Agbonlahor and defender Micah Richards for a night out in Dubai.
The Premier League quartet had the Easter weekend off due to the international break and they took advantage of a rare break by jetting off to the United Arab Emirates.
Gayle, Campbell, Agbonlahor and Richards were joined by former Germany striker Kevin Kuranyi at the 411 Nights event at nightclub People by Crystal.

Campbell and Agbonlahor were seen showing off their dance moves to Drake's hit song 'Hotline Bling' during the night out.
Party-goers attended the high-profile event on Saturday night, which has been billed as the biggest party in the UAE, after attending annual horse race the Dubai World Cup.
TV presenter and radio personality DJ Bliss hosted the event alongside Janet Jackson's official DJ - DJ Aktive and a selection of local entertainers.
Ms. Jackson arrived at the club for her official aftershow party at 1am along with her entourage of dancers, backing singers and a security team.
Eagles striker Campbell and Villa's Agbonlahor had bought tables at the club and were seen drinking while Kuranyi passed around bottles of champagne. 
The footballers partied until the club closed at 3am.
People by Crystal is described as a having 'a history of bringing exceptional headliners and hosting some of the most fabulous events in the Middle East' on their website.
Agbonlahor and Richards are heading for the Championship as Aston Villa are rock bottom of the Premier League with just 16 points from 31 games.
Crystal Palace, on the other hand, are not yet safe from the drop as they are just seven points ahead of 18th-placed Sunderland.
Aston Villa and Crystal Palace are both back in action on Saturday afternoon, with the basement side hosting Chelsea and the Eagles taking on West Ham at Upton Park.

Edited by Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

If they've been given time off, who gives a shit? They're young, they're going to go out partying.

They're not going to sit at home, wringing their hands, because the team isn't doing well, nor should they.

I cringed reading this, this is exactly why were where we are. The culture is wrong it does effect performance and it's not acceptable. 

• Like 1

If they've been given time off, who gives a shit? They're young, they're going to go out partying.

They're not going to sit at home, wringing their hands, because the team isn't doing well, nor should they.

This.

The player's attitudes this year have been disgraceful.

But that doesn't mean they should be sat at home 24/7.

This idyllic vision that fans have that footballers should be thinking about the club all the time and when we're doing badly they shouldn't be out living their lives is bizarre and ridiculous.

I agree that they should not be sat at home doing nowt. Tbh, regarding the two in question, I couldn't give a shit what they do. They are such a disgrace to the club that they are utterly insignificant in my eyes. I'm weirdly hooked up to notifications if someone comments on the gabby thread. Everytime I get one, I think 'man, is someone giving this moron the time of day'. I should really turn it off tbh lol.

Nevertheless, I truly believe that at no point during a season, should a professional athlete consume alcohol. I know lots do, but they are paid an awful lot of money to keep themselves in tip top shape.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

The player's attitudes this year have been disgraceful.

But that doesn't mean they should be sat at home 24/7.

This idyllic vision that fans have that footballers should be thinking about the club all the time and when we're doing badly they shouldn't be out living their lives is bizarre and ridiculous.

I agree with this to some extent steveo because you're basically saying that footballers are normal people and that live normal lives. This is correct however does they're attitude portray this?

Where I'm coming from here, and it may be a bit muddled, is, are they humble with it?

I get the impression (not just with villa players) that many players actually believe that they are not only on a par with 'normal folk' in terms of how they should act away from work, but in fact 'less privileged' than us. I mean I almost get the impression they want us to feel sorry for them that their lives are in the media.

I don't think many of them take the time to recognise that whilst they are just like me and you, they are in an unbelievably privileged position and perhaps should consider that more often. 

I'd like to think that if I was in gabriel agbonlahor's position, I would care about the people Id let down and Id also be conscious about how they would feel about the way I portray myself in the media.

With that in mind, I wouldn't stop living my life, I wouldn't stop having a good time. What I might do, at this point in the season, is think twice about jetting off to dubai, with 4 other famous people and choose to party at an event hosted/or influenced by one of the world's biggest stars. I'd certainly think twice about drinking there.

Doubt gabby did mind, because he's a dick.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

I don't think you'd give it a second thought if you were in that position. Nor would I. Nor would anyone.

"Jetting off to Dubai", for someone with that much money, is like me driving to Manchester for a weekend. It's nothing. It's short trip during a 2 week break for them.

This is a totally nothing story. If they were making fools of themselves by getting horrendously drunk or behaving like a prick, then fair enough.

But "Two men have a night out whilst on holiday" is not news.

Footballers in general are normal people. However, IMO footballers in the Premier League certainly aren't (there are several ways to interpret this, I know...)

In most competitive sports, those wanting to compete at the very top make significant sacrifices in order to be as competitive as possible. A month off-season, perhaps, and then a grueling pre-season training period, preparing for the next season, trying to improve in any way they are able to, knowing that their competitors all are doing the same, and possibly doing even more... I seem to recall Milner choosing to be a teetotaler for this very reason.

I get that I'm now comparing football as a team game to an individual sport, and it's obviously about much more than merely running faster / jumping higher than your opponents, as there's an amount of understanding the game plan/working to instructions, having a certain amount of football intelligence and (of course) individual technical ability as well.

But in most team sports you have at the very least to stay competitive within your squad in order to be selected and thus possibly successful.

PL footballers in general? They're paid a king's ransom on a weekly basis. Sure, some real professionals strive to be at the top of their game each week. But if you've made the 1st 11 of any PL team, and there's no-one threatening your position you're as good as gold. Why go the extra mile? I wonder how many top level footballers just regards it as something they don't particularly enjoy, but just happens to be quite good at.

They still get paid a ludicrous amount of money, though, and often to the regret of a new board/manager, over several years.

There's football, and then there's the PL. Hopefully, the twain shall meet at some point in the future...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think you'd give it a second thought if you were in that position. Nor would I. Nor would anyone.

"Jetting off to Dubai", for someone with that much money, is like me driving to Manchester for a weekend. It's nothing. It's short trip during a 2 week break for them.

This is a totally nothing story. If they were making fools of themselves by getting horrendously drunk or behaving like a prick, then fair enough.

But "Two men have a night out whilst on holiday" is not news.

I would, I know I would. Believe me when I say, I take great care in the way I portray myself given my job. I'm probably too over-cautious in life.

I appreciate that going to dubai is like popping to the local quiz, but if I was them, I guarantee I would be concious of how it would look to the many that I have let down massively.

I also guarantee that I wouldn't have let ppl down in the way gabby has but that's a different story.

Â