The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Indeed.

Pensive, eloquent and proper though his recent speeches in Parliament might have been, if you'd have asked me at any point in the last thirty or so years to whom would I be looking to help 'save' the UK in this process, it would not have been Oliver Letwin.

I shan't be 'Thanking God', however, or going to bed with Letwin in my mind. But: Ta, Ollie.

Edited by snowychap

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Indeed.

Pensive, eloquent and proper though his recent speeches in Parliament might have been, if you'd have asked me at any point in the last thirty or so years to whom would I be looking to help 'save' the UK in this process, it would not have been Oliver Letwin.

I shan't be 'Thanking God', however, or going to bed with Letwin in my mind. But: Ta, Ollie.

I remember when he was more famous for discarding a hundred or so government documents in a bin in St James's Park. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I remember when he was more famous for discarding a hundred or so government documents in a bin in St James's Park. 

That was one of his better moments.

Edit: I don't think they were gov documents, I think they were constituents' personal information.

Don't mention Broadwater Farm.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Broadwater Farm.

Yes, he is very racist isn't he.

Oh DON'T mention it

Sorry

ignore me

(****)

He has also suggested we should start housing asylum seekers in prison ships

sorry, sorry, I meant off-shore processing centres

carry on

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yes, he is very racist isn't he.

Oh DON'T mention it

Sorry

ignore me

(****)

He has also suggested we should start housing asylum seekers in prison ships

sorry, sorry, I meant off-shore processing centres

carry on

To be fair, that doesn't mean that he can't be right when talking about processes of the House of Commons; 'democracy'; how to proceed with Brexit; how to negotiate between two otherwise obviously intractible parties, &c.

;)

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

To be fair, that doesn't mean that he can't be right when talking about processes of the House of Commons; 'democracy'; how to proceed with Brexit; how to negotiate between two otherwise obviously intractible parties, &c.

;)

Quite. Like you said, hardly a person anyone ever thought they'd side with. A bit like Diane Abbott when she said his racist attitudes were pretty shocking even by the standards of 30 years ago :D

Edited by VILLAMARV
1 too many when's

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Quite. Like you said, hardly a person anyone ever thought they'd side with. A bit like when Diane Abbott when she said his racist attitudes were pretty shocking even by the standards of 30 years ago :D

I think I've always tried to be of the position that one ought to be careful about the individuals that one might choose to declare to row in behind.

That includes Diane Abbott.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Or the  “Wanted “ poster with £20bn reward  Gordon Brown held up with his face on after he was told to disappear by senior Tory’s after some blunder during the election campaign 

Just now, snowychap said:

I think I've always tried to be of the position that one ought to be careful about the individuals that one might choose to declare to row in behind.

That includes Diane Abbott.

Perhaps my point got lost there. It was a surprise to me to find myself agreeing with Diane Abbott if that clears it up.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Unlike previous iterations of Newsnight's 'predict the future of Brexit' segment, this one is mostly non-ridiculous and significantly less smug:

Maybe I missed it, but none of them seemed to mention what it is that changes, resulting in the other 27 countries being willing to extend beyond April 12th.

As none of their four predictions are likely to play out that way over the next two weeks...

Edited by ml1dch

Â