The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

30 minutes ago, villarocker said:

.... rigged voting. There have been voting scandals all over the world in the past .... I believe the original vote should be honoured....

The leave vote should stand. The problem isn't that we were lied to....We've been cheated and lied to by our MP's and government. 

There’s some contradictions in your post, vr. You mention concern about rigged voting so we shouldn’t vote again. We know the last vote was subject to criminal actions.  You say the problem isn’t that we were lied to, the problem is that we’re being lied to.

Fwiw, we have been lied to, continually, for 3 years and longer. Because of all the lies and dishonesty is a big part of why we’re all so angry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I'd argue that's the wrong way round. A leave option that could pass Parliament doesn't need the additional faff of the referendum. It just passes and we deal with the consequences of that decision, for good or (inevitably) ill.

That’s the big concern for me that I keep reading Tory MP’s will back Mays deal if she resigns straight after 

That still leaves a shit deal but one that has then passed 

17 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree, there’s also no point in pretending anymore that we might “no deal”. It obviously not going to happen.

Best route out of the mess as I see it.

1) TM agrees with MP’s that if the public vote for her deal they concur it

2) It goes to the public, remain or May’s deal to leave being only options.

3) Implement the result rapidly.

How can you put a deal twice rejected by Parliament as the option ? Arguably its already tainted in the eyes of the public

i could see a case for a deal approved by Parliament v Remain perhaps but even then it would raise more questions than answer 

Edited by tonyh29
Edit - remain not leave , D’oh
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

What are you going to do with all those commemorative coins stamped with the 29th of March?

377EF4CE-7917-4332-88AF-8B73690E7829.jpeg

They haven’t been made yet so still time to change the date ... or the message , perhaps we could hold a referendum on what it should say :) 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I could see a case for a deal approved by Parliament v Leave perhaps but even then it would raise more questions than answer 

The deal approved by Parliament is "leave".

4 hours ago, villarocker said:

If we had a leader who was pro-brexit we would have had plans in place immediately for a no deal and the EU would have had to take a much softer stance in the withdrawal agreement. 

You do know Theresa May set the red lines right? The EU couldn't go softer without having FoM in there, which TM ruled out. 

Delusional.

• Like 1

Sorry for such along thread, but I think this is really quite good for capturing the state of the Conservative Party today:

So much of this is so totally mutually contradictory, it's worth savouring in its entirety. 

• Like 4

Brexit has exposed how weak the consensus is in these huge political parties. If they broke up, and we had PR and a government through consensus, it'd almost make all of this madness worth it.

that's about as likely as May admitting she's made a mistake though.

8 hours ago, villarocker said:

That's all well and good if you believe that a "Leave" outcome wouldn't be overruled by rigged voting. There have been voting scandals all over the world in the past so I wouldn't put it past this government, or even moreso, this bunch of MP's, to rig a result in their favour and say that we've voted to remain. 

I do not trust any of our current parliamentarians so that is why I believe the original vote should be honoured. I mean, I wasn't happy that the Tories got in a the last General Election but I didn't go running around screaming for another vote on it.

The leave vote should stand. The problem isn't that we were lied to. The problem is that the corrupt government, aided and abetted by the corrupt MP's, have failed to prepare our country for a no deal scenario. The EU knows this and it's their bargaining chip against us and has allowed them to propose a really shitty withdrawal agreement that ties us to them indefinitely. If we had a leader who was pro-brexit we would have had plans in place immediately for a no deal and the EU would have had to take a much softer stance in the withdrawal agreement. 

We've been cheated and lied to by our MP's and government. 

How it be rigged when most of said that it’s too big for any government to properly take us out within two years? 

Its going as exactly I thought it would a complete and utter mess.

Â