The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Having just seen that BBC aerial footage, that's more than a million people

Think I read that police estimate was twice that. 

I was dog-sitting yesterday for the in-laws who went up early. They said as they were leaving at five, people were still queueing (in a very orderly fashion) to start their march. I can’t think why the media are reporting the numbers they are. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

You do know Theresa May set the red lines right? The EU couldn't go softer without having FoM in there, which TM ruled out. 

Delusional.

If May was such a good negotiator for the leave side, why agree to something that kept us in the single market and where we can only leave at the agreement of all remaining EU nations? As if they will ever vote to allow us to leave. She's agreed to a deal that ties us to the EU indefinitely. 

9 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I. Don't. Know. What. To. Say. 😮

This kind of thinking completely baffles me. It flies in the face of any logic, this isn't a leave standpoint this is downright paranoia in the face of reality and facts.

Let's just point to a few things;

1. If the government are capable of rigging a vote, why didn't they rig the first one?

2. If the government are full of Remainders who want to expunge the result why haven't they done so or guaranteed a 2nd referendum?

3. Why should the EU help us leave the club?

4. The deal was sorted by the UK and the sticking point (backstop) is a UK invention - we put it in!

5. No, if a General Election goes 'badly' you give it some time and then vote again next time. There was a smaller gap between the last two Elections than there would be between the 2 referendums. And lots if people changed their minds in last Election - see our DUP supported government.

I could go on... Whilst I am openly remain, I have tried to interact with Leavers in an open way to get their views. Some, even many, I understand. This viewpoint is just scary stubborn paranoia.

In response to your questions:

1. They would never have thought they would need to. Cameron refused advice on preparing for a "leave" outcome because he was adamant it wouldn't happen. 

2. The government agreed a date to leave - March 29th. That is no longer the date. In fact, a date is now unknown. There's still time for your 2nd referendum. 

3. The EU are not trying to help us leave the club. That's why the withdrawal agreement contains us having to rely on a vote of all remaining nations in order to leave the single market. Fat chance they'll ever agree to that. Hence Raab quit his post. 

4. I'm sure the deal was sorted by the UK with interventions from the EU. No way did we go there with a proposal without it being accepted exactly as we proposed. 

5. Makes no difference who we vote for anymore. Democracy is dead in this country. 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm fairly confident that not one person in this topic has ever said something remotely that stupid

My point is she may have included certain red lines but the big sticking point for many is that the agreement means we are worse off in the EU than we were previously. She's taken what people already thought was a bad deal for Britain in Europe and made it worse. Even Gina Miller says that and she was all for remain. 

11 minutes ago, villarocker said:

5. Makes no difference who we vote for anymore. Democracy is dead in this country. 

:crylaugh: 

You kind of contradict yourself in the same sentence here.

Edited by bobzy

4 minutes ago, villarocker said:

My point is she may have included certain red lines but the big sticking point for many is that the agreement means we are worse off in the EU than we were previously. She's taken what people already thought was a bad deal for Britain in Europe and made it worse. Even Gina Miller says that and she was all for remain. 

You appear to be missing the point that we're worse off under any form of Brexit than we would be under remaining/ Even many leavers including Lord Snooty admit this openly

And I'm not sure how you know Gina Miller was a remainer

• Like 1

Brexit, Primary Legislation, and Statutory Instruments: Everything in Its Right Place?

Legislation to enable Brexit is progressing through Parliament. This includes the Immigration and Social Security Bill, the Fisheries Bill, the Financial Services (Implementation of Legislation) Bill, and the Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill. One curious aspect of this raft of new law is that, at the same time these Bills are making their way through Parliament, statutory instruments (SIs) addressing some of the very same subject matters are also being laid. While this approach may find justification in some contexts, we argue in this post that the particular way this is being executed in some circumstances seems broadly at odds with the Government’s own stated approach to the process.

When the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (EUWA) was progressing through Parliament, the Government was at pains to reassure those concerned about the breath of the delegated powers within the Act that the SIs made under it would not be ‘a vehicle for policy changes.’ It was stated that the powers under EUWA only gave ‘the Government the necessary power to correct or remove the laws that would otherwise not function properly once we have left the EU.’ Such expectations have been reinforced in various ways and in a range of forums since. For instance, the Government has given evidence to at least one Committee that it cannot make some of the changes to UK law proposed by civil society organisations via SI because policy changes are not permitted within the EUWA powers. In contrast to what the Government has suggested repeatedly, the reality of the exercise of the EUWA powers is that Brexit SIs are being used to, at least in some places, give effect to significant policy changes.

[examples and details of them on link]

What law ought to be made by SI and what law ought to be made by primary legislation is a complex question. The traditional distinction is that technical change is done via SI with matters of significant policy being done in primary legislation (see e.g. Cabinet Office, Guide to Making Legislation (2017); Committee on Ministers’ Powers, Report (Cmd 4060, 1932)). This is, in many ways, a porous distinction and one which could only ever be described as loosely related to current practice. It is clear, however, that the approach to EUWA powers is, at least in multiple important places, inconsistent with the promised course of action. The result is that important policy changes are more likely to go undeliberated at a time when the risk of that happening is already very high.

Imagine that.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Joking aside, you'll almost certainly be coming back to this -

image.png

I bet someone will be along in a moment to claim that's a million people :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

Â