The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

true, though the comforting reminder that lots of other people do exist out there that find this so depressing, and that our mini echo chambers aren't as isolated as we may wonder is always a little re-assuring

Everyone looking forward to the petition being swiped away with a single line?

It's something I guess, and I signed it (one of a pathetically small number in my constituency), but it isn't going to do anything.

And neither will the march this weekend.

The government doesn't give a ****.

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm gonna say it'll clear 2m

It cleared 4m last time, and was ignored.  This time will be no different.  Utter waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

It cleared 4m last time, and was ignored.  This time will be no different.  Utter waste of time.

Was it the same kind of petition? From what I can tell this is about to double the second biggest petition on the site.

56 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Everyone looking forward to the petition being swiped away with a single line?

It's something I guess, and I signed it (one of a pathetically small number in my constituency), but it isn't going to do anything.

And neither will the march this weekend.

The government doesn't give a ****.

So what’s the answer? 

Revolution?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what’s the answer? 

Revolution?

Urgh, it's tricky. 

Part of me wants no deal so the idiots who voted for it can really suffer, but it'll screw me living in the EU.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a bot made by a foreign government. 

Извините не могли бы вы говорить помедленнее, пожалуйста

Izvinite ne mogli by vy govorit' pomedlenneye, pozhaluysta

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Urgh, it's tricky. 

Part of me wants no deal so the idiots who voted for it can really suffer, but it'll screw me living in the EU.

I was one of those idiots and whatever happens I still believe in the long run it will work out for the best for the country. 

But I accept it was a mistake.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a bot made by a foreign government. 

I didn't say they were. It was a joke. Trying to lighten the conversation at a very serious situation but let's not pretend there isn't a foreign government operating a very sophisticated campaign to influence us. Just because it's inconvenient to you doesn't mean it isn't happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was one of those idiots and whatever happens I still believe in the long run it will work out for the best for the country. 

But I accept it was a mistake.

You think No Deal is what's best for the country?

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You think No Deal is what's best for the country?

No of course not. I’m talking years in the future. Next generations.  Here and now we are better off staying.

Eventually the debt crisis in Europe will rear it’s ugly head again.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Urgh, it's tricky. 

It's not so much the 'idiots' that voted for it, it's the idiots that adamantly stick by it whilst ignoring all reason.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what’s the answer? 

Revolution?

There isn't one.

We have a minority government that is barely operating and has running through it like a stick of rock a cynical authoritarian streak.

Pandora's box was opened with the referendum, on a subject that cuts through party lines like a knife, and can't be mostly closed without someone with the ability to close it losing. The people with that ability will not risk anything as it potentially risks their career, or their party, or both.

We are impotent at this stage. The petition and the march can show discontent, but the government will just ignore it. And they will. 

The only thing that can be done is to ensure at the next election a lot of politicians are put out on their ear. Across the House. And perhaps make sure a few names and faces take a hit in the shape of criminal prosecution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

There isn't one.

We have a minority government that is barely operating and has running through it like a stick of rock a cynical authoritarian streak.

Pandora's box was opened with the referendum, on a subject that cuts through party lines like a knife, and can't be mostly closed without someone with the ability to close it losing. The people with that ability will not risk anything as it potentially risks their career, or their party, or both.

We are impotent at this stage. The petition and the march can show discontent, but the government will just ignore it. And they will. 

The only thing that can be done is to ensure at the next election a lot of politicians are put out on their ear. Across the House. And perhaps make sure a few names and faces take a hit in the shape of criminal prosecution.

This is the real issue, May is acting like she has a huge majority, yet cannot even get half of her party to agree with her. Every politician is "acting in the best interests" and can use some argument to justify it, however benign. This will continue "ad nauseam" and in all honesty I am fed up. The deadlock will not be broken and something has to give.

That is why it is so frustrating. On all logic, the deadlock can only realistically be broken if it is returned to "the people" to decide, in some form, be it another referendum or general election (more likely). The problem with that is May and the Tories are refusing to do so in the vain hope that they can get it resolved. Labour aren't exactly jumping up and in any event will probably still pursue Brexit in any event if Corbyn gets his way.

Quite frankly though, it is the only method I can see that will bury the issue once and for all either way. It is just a farce, and if there is another vote/general election I can't decide whether it will be the lowest turnout due to apathy or the highest because every is that angry with it all.  

Â