The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I opened my post with the words “obviously im not directly comparing the 2”

it was more a comment around “influence”  I was making 

Actually, you opened your post with 'Obviously I'm not directly comparing the 2  but' and then went on to directly compare the two.

Genuinely, your comment appears to utterly miss the important part about 'influence' which is to do with the opacity/transparency of the source.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Actually, you opened your post with 'Obviously I'm not directly comparing the 2  but' and then went on to directly compare the two.

Genuinely, your comment appears to utterly miss the important part about 'influence' which is to do with the opacity/transparency of the source.

Bit harsh on Tony there, snowychap. I think he was sort of thinking out loud in a "sure everyone is biased to some degree" kind of way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Especially as we should judge him for getting off with a prostitute 20 odd years ago. 

I don’t believe anyone  said anything about judging him ? There was a line in the OP about values , it was a subtle link about values ... guess it was too subtle 

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don’t believe anyone  said anything about judging him ? There was a line in the OP about values , it was a subtle link about values ... guess it was too subtle 

Yes but you have to forgive peope for missing the subtelty, it is soooooo unexpected :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

@tonyh29 Sorry, I'm going to 'pick' on you as a Brexiteer but in the genuine hope of seeing the other side of the argument. Everything too quickly resorts to name calling, or sarcasm and I want a proper conversation with a Leaver that is based on a willingness to listen rather than speak/preach. I know that's not a very political attitude!!

So forgetting a lot of the intricacies of the debate can I ask some simple questions?

1. What 'Leave' did you vote for? Customs union or WTO or other (a May type deal)

2. Do all of the above beat 'Remain'?

3. If not all Leavers want the same thing, how can they argue they are the majority?

4. This sounds patronising but isn't meant as such - do you feel tricked or did you expect some 'bluster'?

5. Why is Leave so against a People's Vote if it could actually give them their Leave on a much quicker time scale? 

I really struggle to see the other side of the argument on this one and I'm normally pretty good at seeing both sides. There are just too many contradictions on the Leave side and I'd love a proper conversation to explain the thinking of a Brexiteer. Even if I don't agree, I just want to understand the rationale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

@tonyh29 Sorry, I'm going to 'pick' on you as a Brexiteer but in the genuine hope of seeing the other side of the argument. Everything too quickly resorts to name calling, or sarcasm and I want a proper conversation with a Leaver that is based on a willingness to listen rather than speak/preach. I know that's not a very political attitude!!

So forgetting a lot of the intricacies of the debate can I ask some simple questions?

1. What 'Leave' did you vote for? Customs union or WTO or other (a May type deal)

2. Do all of the above beat 'Remain'?

3. If not all Leavers want the same thing, how can they argue they are the majority?

4. This sounds patronising but isn't meant as such - do you feel tricked or did you expect some 'bluster'?

5. Why is Leave so against a People's Vote if it could actually give them their Leave on a much quicker time scale? 

I really struggle to see the other side of the argument on this one and I'm normally pretty good at seeing both sides. There are just too many contradictions on the Leave side and I'd love a proper conversation to explain the thinking of a Brexiteer. Even if I don't agree, I just want to understand the rationale.

No problem I don’t see it as being “picked on “ ... but if you wanted a proper talk without sarcasm you may have picked the wrong man :) but I’ll do what I can to answer you and once I have I know someone will be along to tell you what I really meant :ph34r:

1) As has been said before ,  the type of leave wasn’t really up for discussion , but I suppose I probably thought we’d kinda leave and end up like a glorified Switzerland type country , whereas all they’ve got that the world wants is Toblerone we’ve got a bit more to offer hence a better deal . Mays deal I’ve not read in full but the spectator 40 things article was a pretty decent read as to why it’s not a very good deal , even though on paper she secured a “win” over some parts of it 

2) I said the other week that as it stands  I’d withdraw article 50 if it was down to me ... not necessarily remain but remain until such point that we can get our affairs in order and plan it properly , if the country so wishes  , I think the next GE or two will see more than just labour v Tory 

3)think Bicks posted something the other day about  chocolate cake and everything non chocolate  cake ... it was sorta flawed because only 2 cakes were on offer in our referendum vote , but I guess to some extent if we delayed and had a GE you can have a choice of Corbyns unicorn v Mays successors unicorn , it won’t please everyone but Parliament never does , even something like scrapping trident would be  divisive if a  government did it 

4) Not sure what you mean by tricked , do you mean tricked as in promises that were made ? In that case not really as I wasn’t a £350m bus voter so stuff like that didn’t really resonate with me ... I  thought leaving would be easier if I’m honest , a trade deal between us and the EU should have taken seconds , I guess wrapping it all up into one bundle and saying sort these first and then we will talk trade was a good move on the EU’s behalf , but I think a stronger / better leader  than May would have managed the whole process better , she rushed invoking article 50 when she really didn’t need to , we could /should have delayed that part .

5)I can’t really speak for everyone but  it was sold as a one time only vote , we’ve seen a few countries say No to the EU get told to vote again until you come back with the right answer ( by their governments I should add , not the EU ) , I guess that’s the bit that prickles people ? ... I’m still not totally convinced remain would win a second referendum but I can’t see how the question could be worded other than leave or remain again , you can’t split leave options and then declare remain the winner if it has the largest individual share 

i’m not really sure I’ve given you what you asked for but hopefully it’s something .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it was sold as a one time only vote

Sorry to disagree but which shop was this sold in? Lord Snooty's shop, for instance, was selling a two-vote solution, until right after the first vote. I heard phrases like once in a generation opportunity but that's not quite the same thing

Â