The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Airbus saying it may be forced to leave UK in a No Deal situation.

“If there is a no-deal Brexit, we at Airbus will have to make potentially very harmful decisions for the U.K.,” said Chief Executive Officer Tom Enders, who has been one of the most outspoken business leaders on the topic. “Please don’t listen to the Brexiteers’ madness which asserts that, because we have huge plants here, we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong.”

The comments, made in an unusual video message shared by the company Thursday, are the strongest yet since the 2016 referendum from the executive who has repeatedly warned of the fallout from a worst-case Brexit scenario. It ramps up pressure on Theresa May, the British prime minister caught in the crossfire between pro-EU members of her Conservative Party who are seeking to force her to postpone the March 29 Brexit deadline, and staunch euroskeptics who are threatening to bring down her government if she does.

Airbus, which is based in Toulouse, France, directly employs 14,000 people in the U.K. and supports another 110,000, Enders said in the video posted Thursday. The company has production sites in Filton, in the southwest of England, and in Wales where it manufactures wings for its range of commercial aircraft.

Bloomberg (More on Link)

• Sad 1

No-deal really is unthinkable.

JLR said its entire business is unviable in a no-deal scenario. That's another 40,000 direct jobs plus 250,000 in supply and service base.

Knocking on 400,000 jobs between JLR and Airbus alone.

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

JLR said its entire business is unviable in a no-deal scenario. That's another 40,000 direct jobs plus 250,000 in supply and service base.

That's a lot of fruit pickers for the farmers though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Is there a Fruit Picker union ? I see an oppurtunity.

Our future biggest industry ?

Hopefully the fruit pickers union are a bit more safety conscious than the winkle picker union...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

But Blue Passports! And fish!

Airbus are one of my company's biggest customers, in fact they're probably THE biggest customer (I don't know if they or Boeing are bigger)

Everyone around me at work are still all pro Brexit.

Makes no sense.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This week's Cakewatch podcast has Dmitry Grozoubinski as a guest, going through Brexit on a purely trade standpoint. Nothing new to most people who have kept up with Brexit but he's very good at cutting through some of the nonsense that's out there.

He also quite openly says he doesn't have a dog in the Brexit fight, he's Australian, he doesn't know about the EU as a political entity, but he does know about trade and trade deals and how that works. And he's seen a lot of rubbish spouted.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Airbus are one of my company's biggest customers, in fact they're probably THE biggest customer (I don't know if they or Boeing are bigger)

Makes no sense.

Unfortunately, I think some of those people are going to need to feel the pain before they realise what they've done. 

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Unfortunately, I think some of those people are going to need to feel the pain before they realise what they've done. 

I've been saying this since the result but even then they'll find a way to blame the EU

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Makes no sense.

Brexit is an article of faith. Evidence doesn't matter. It's either not true, coming from an untrustworthy heathen source, or doesn't matter because 'reasons'. It isn't helped by the fact people don't understand (and in fairness in 99.9% of cases, would never need to understand) the nitty gritty of trade deals and non-tariff barriers and global trade generally, and it's all **** boring, so people are entirely ignorant even if they aren't a raging Brexit loon.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've been saying this since the result but even then they'll find a way to blame the EU

Been happening for months. EU punishment narrative, EU negotiating in bad faith...

Also has an added stabbed in the back narrative for shits and giggles too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This week's Cakewatch podcast has Dmitry Grozoubinski as a guest, going through Brexit on a purely trade standpoint. Nothing new to most people who have kept up with Brexit but he's very good at cutting through some of the nonsense that's out there.

He also quite openly says he doesn't have a dog in the Brexit fight, he's Australian, he doesn't know about the EU as a political entity, but he does know about trade and trade deals and how that works. And he's seen a lot of rubbish spouted.

I listened to that last night, you're right - he's very good.

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense, they're thick :lol:  

I mean, people who don't realise that the companies they work for are a result of the partnership of the UK/EU, deserve everything they get.  These will be the people driving around in decent cars, living in their 400 grand houses they bought for 10k in the 90s. 

**** em :D 

• Like 1

Â