The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

24 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I guess this is the real test of the Brexiteer's stance of 'they will want a deal as much as we do' if the govt go back to the EU wanting changes to the backstop.  Last chance saloon.

The backstop is the backstop. I can't see the EU agreeing to anything that fundamentally changes it. I expect the most that May will get before the end of March is a very minor concession somewhere in the deal that will be built up as some huge climbdown as a way of tickling Brexiteers bollocks that somehow the EU has given in to their British betters.

The EU wants a deal, but it doesn't want a deal as much as we do. The idea this is a negotiation between equals has always been nonsense. The sheer, basic, inescapable numbers of it rule that out. No Deal cuts both ways, the EU is harmed by it as is the UK. The difference is that harm to the EU is losing a finger, perhaps a hand. To the UK its being stabbed in the chest, repeatedly.

Hence why the EU has so strongly stuck to its guns. It views breaking the fundamental pillars of the group as more critical than the UK being part of it.

There's plenty of people that would agree with him unfortunately. Similar thoughts have been espoused in this very thread (or it's predecessor). For a great many people Ireland is still a subservient colony. 

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's plenty of people that would agree with him unfortunately. Similar thoughts have been espoused in this very thread (or it's predecessor). For a great many people Ireland is still a subservient colony. 

Maybe you're right. But I don't want to normalise or minimise how terrible this attitude is. 

John Humphrys is an unlistenable embarrassment. His interviews, his treatment of guests and his world view are shockingly one sided old fashioned upper middle tory chap. I know it's R4 but there's not even a pretense at being even handed.

I've always listened in, in recent years I've told myself it balances my usual echo chamber, I've told myself I'm at least hearing the thinking of the enemy. But the last few months I just turn the radio off if he's the presenter.   

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

John Humphrys is an unlistenable embarrassment. His interviews, his treatment of guests and his world view are shockingly one sided old fashioned upper middle tory chap. I know it's R4 but there's not even a pretense at being even handed.

I've always listened in, in recent years I've told myself it balances my usual echo chamber, I've told myself I'm at least hearing the thinking of the enemy. But the last few months I just turn the radio off if he's the presenter.   

Agreed, it's like the BBC's political bias isn't even trying to hide any more. It's there in plain sight for all to see and hear, as long as you can think critically which sadly many people don't seem capable of

• Like 2

It is an unbelievably arrogant position from Humphrys.

Just on the current brinkmanship going on, in the event of a ‘No Deal’ Brexit presumably the EU will need to enact border checks in Ireland and Gibraltar to prevent the famous  hormone beef and chlorine chicken (etc) from flooding the EU market via an open UK border. 

It goes against the Good Friday Agreement (and the obvious consequences for peace) so there is a problem there for the EU that the Brexitiers look like they are trying to exploit to get a change in their stance. 

The UK will also need border checks if it is going to be effective in preventing EU immigration but I’ve heard Brexitiers indicate they would check citizenship when an EU national attempts to work or interact with the state rather than when they arrive.

Either way there is a problem the EU will need to resolve if no deal is agreed and there are mixed messages coming out about what their solution might be. 

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It is an unbelievably arrogant position from Humphrys.

Yes.  His arrogance comes out often, as does his sycophancy towards people he admires, but his arrogance has rarely been as naked as this disastrous performance.  He should have been retired many years ago.

Fos anyone wondering how we might manage after losing trade partnerships with Europe, Tim Martin explains the concept of import substitution.

I'm sure the idea will read across very easily to food, energy, medicines, ooh, all sorts of things.

The Twitter bloke  has written “introduction of martial law after a No deal Brexit” 

Imagine the reaction if leave had written such blatant scaremongering and deliberately mislead people

Operation Temperer has been in existence for many years and also  has a contingency for Brexit , a contingency that if they didn’t have you’d all be posting about how unprepared the government are 

having a plan for it does not make something inevitable 

If you believe we are heading for martial law then I have some magic beans I can sell you that will protect you from it , just PM me in crayon 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The Twitter bloke  has written “introduction of martial law after a No deal Brexit” 

Imagine the reaction if leave had written such blatant scaremongering and deliberately mislead people

Operation Temperer has been in existence for many years and also  has a contingency for Brexit , a contingency that if they didn’t have you’d all be posting about how unprepared the government are 

If you believe we are heading for martial law then I have some magic beans I can sell you that will protect you from it , just PM me in crayon

Of course all governments have contingency plans for dealing with rioting and civil unrest.  (In the case of France, it seems to involved aiming weapons at the faces of protesters, blinding some of them).

Surely the point is not the existence of such plans, but the deliberate pursuit of policies which knowingly make it likely that serious civil unrest will happen in the first place?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

A different viewpoint.

Is the problem the law exists, or that the government is given opportunity to use it? It's effectively the same argument as stockpiling - it's crazy it's even having to be thought of.

All for nothing.

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A different viewpoint.

Is the problem the law exists, or that the government is given opportunity to use it? It's effectively the same argument as stockpiling - it's crazy it's even having to be thought of.

All for nothing.

The fact the government has a chance to use those powers should be enough to cause civil unrest in itself , no government should have the right to put troops on the streets to do its bidding 

Â