The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

25 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Come on. Someone surely has to mention MFN when talking about WTO! :D

As in:

What's wrong with dropping on to WTO terms?

MFN, mate, MFN.

Yeah, but GATT XXIV.

Check-mate

(obviously not really)

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are they addressed to you?

No. They're stuffed in a bundle of flyers and advertising.

I really don't think Wetherspoons should be allowed to distribute propaganda in such a manner. I flicked through it just now out of car crash rubber neck curiosity. It's disgraceful. It's mostly articles taken from various sources about the effects of Brexit with sarcastic disparaging comments heading them from the idiot running the chain of the article disagrees with Brexit being a wonderful land of milk and honey with the odd article it likes giving glowing reviews of. Even the section about new drinks is EU bashing.

I really believe this should be illegal.

@StefanAVFChas already posted a link to this interview. I can't believe this is someone that some Brexiteers I know hold in high regard for his views on Brexit. The guy can't put a coherent sentence together on the subject and resorts to blaming the interviewer as a reason why he can't answer very simple questions and in that regard he is unfortunately a good example of many leave voters I have come across.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I really don't think Wetherspoons should be allowed to distribute propaganda in such a manner. I flicked through it just now out of car crash rubber neck curiosity. It's disgraceful. It's mostly articles taken from various sources about the effects of Brexit with sarcastic disparaging comments heading them from the idiot running the chain of the article disagrees with Brexit being a wonderful land of milk and honey with the odd article it likes giving glowing reviews of. Even the section about new drinks is EU bashing.

I think all unsolicited advertising of any nature should be illegal so you won't find any argument from me

Turns out those articles the 'magazine' has in it are lifted wholesale from places like the FT and Torygraph without permission or payment being made.

I'd rather not get any unsolicited mail but I certainly don't want bullshit propaganda from a pub chain in it.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Turns out those articles the 'magazine' has in it are lifted wholesale from places like the FT and Torygraph without permission or payment being made.

I'd rather not get any unsolicited mail but I certainly don't want bullshit propaganda from a pub chain in it.

Hopefully, the FT will sue, Torygraph unlikely given their collective stance

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Wetherspoons are exactly the kind of business that would probably do well out of a recession I'd have thought. 

Coincidence?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Wetherspoons are exactly the kind of business that would probably do well out of a recession I'd have thought. 

Coincidence?

It's a tough one.

As a majority importer, they do very very well from zero tariffs on alcohol imports. They export nothing so they don't feel the hit

However, their customer base would likely feel the hit as traditional working class professions would get smashed by WTO rules. So in the short term, they would do well, but medium to long term, they could lose money absed on reduced footfall.

I don't expect a plonker like Tim Martin to think medium to long term though.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Coincidence?

Iirc they would stand to benefit from Brexit through reduced alcohol prices. I think this far they've actually been harmed by it with share prices going through the floor and trade struggling. They also would need to factor in the fact that EU produced products would probably vanish from their offering (they seem to have decided to hit that one head on by dropping those products unilaterally already, presumably to get the clientele onside with the alternatives they'll offer ahead of time).

Longer term, who knows. They could benefit from being the big cheap pub chain when the economy goes through the floor, perhaps even expand when pubs go to the wall. Or they could get **** harder if people bin the pub even more when wallets are squeezed in favour in whatever booze the outdoor has.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iirc they would stand to benefit from Brexit through reduced alcohol prices. I think this far they've actually been harmed by it with share prices going through the floor and trade struggling. They also would need to factor in the fact that EU produced products would probably vanish from their offering (they seem to have decided to hit that one head on by dropping those products unilaterally already, presumably to get the clientele onside with the alternatives they'll offer ahead of time).

Longer term, who knows. They could benefit from being the big cheap pub chain when the economy goes through the floor, perhaps even expand when pubs go to the wall. Or they could get **** harder if people bin the pub even more when wallets are squeezed in favour in whatever booze the outdoor has.

The bold was what I was getting at. The budget brands of all sorts of chains did well in the last recession IIRC as people watched the pennies, so assume the same kind of thing could happen this time

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I really believe this should be illegal

Could always counter it with a flyer that's disparaging to Witherspoon's, the national chain thats killing locals by selling cheap beer.

Â