The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The Twitter bloke  has written “introduction of martial law after a No deal Brexit” 

Imagine the reaction if leave had written such blatant scaremongering and deliberately mislead people

Imagine the reaction if Roland Smith (aka 'The Twitter bloke') was someone who had written in favour of leaving the EU.

Imagine the reaction if Roland Smith (aka 'The Twitter bloke) had, say, voted to leave the EU.

Edited by snowychap

36 minutes ago, peterms said:

Of course all governments have contingency plans for dealing with rioting and civil unrest.  (In the case of France, it seems to involved aiming weapons at the faces of protesters, blinding some of them).

Surely the point is not the existence of such plans, but the deliberate pursuit of policies which knowingly make it likely that serious civil unrest will happen in the first place?

Agree in part , but personally I don’t think no deal would see civil unrest .. not to mention i don’t think we will see A No deal anyway 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Agree in part , but personally I don’t think no deal would see civil unrest .. not to mention i don’t think we will see A No deal anyway 

I think any outcome risks it from here on in. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

The Twitter bloke  has written “introduction of martial law after a No deal Brexit” 

Imagine the reaction if leave had written such blatant scaremongering and deliberately mislead people

Operation Temperer has been in existence for many years and also  has a contingency for Brexit , a contingency that if they didn’t have you’d all be posting about how unprepared the government are 

having a plan for it does not make something inevitable 

If you believe we are heading for martial law then I have some magic beans I can sell you that will protect you from it , just PM me in crayon.

I agree with the gist of this post. There's definitely a bunch of May instigated stuff, from the Queen's intervention, to some of the warnings about no deal that various people are making - it's co-ordinated. There's also some non-co-ordinated, genuine stuff being said that's more or totally based on the concern of businesses and others.

On the point about "Imagine the reaction if leave had written such blatant scaremongering and deliberately mislead people" I don't agree. Leave has lied blatantly and co-ordinatedly from the start, and not nearly enough has been made of it. There's the odd exposing of the gibberish gone on, but largely it's been allowed to stand (as this May nonsense has, as you say).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I agree with the gist of this post. There's definitely a bunch of May instigated stuff, from the Queen's intervention, to some of the warnings about no deal that various people are making - it's co-ordinated. There's also some non-co-ordinated, genuine stuff being said that's more or totally based on the concern of businesses and others.

On the point about "Imagine the reaction if leave had written such blatant scaremongering and deliberately mislead people" I don't agree. Leave has lied blatantly and co-ordinatedly from the start, and not nearly enough has been made of it. There's the odd exposing of the gibberish gone on, but largely it's been allowed to stand (as this May nonsense has, as you say).

To be clear I wasn’t suggesting  that leave hasn’t lied etc more the reaction and scrutiny that their misrepresentations receive compared to this misrepresentation 

A no-deal Brexit threatens the UK's food security and will lead to higher prices and empty shelves in the short-term, retailers are warning.

Sainsbury's, Asda and McDonald's are among those warning stockpiling fresh food is impossible and that the UK is very reliant on the EU for produce.

The warning comes in a letter from the British Retail Consortium and is signed by several of the major food retailers.

It comes ahead of crucial votes in Parliament on Tuesday.

The letter from the retailers, and seen by the BBC, says there will be "significant risks" to maintaining the choice, quality and shelf life of food.

"We are extremely concerned that our customers will be among the first to experience the realities of a no deal Brexit," the letter says.

The Beeb

Ah, remember those heady days of adequate food...

A country that shit itself when KFC ran out of chicken, faced with everywhere potentially running out of shitloads of stuff... What could possibly go wrong?!

At what point does 'Project Fear' become 'Project Stark Reality'? And at what point can we start chucking people going on about Project Fear in the sea?

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Beeb

A country that shit itself when KFC ran out of chicken, faced with everywhere potentially running out of shitloads of stuff... What could possibly go wrong?!

At what point does 'Project Fear' become 'Project Stark Reality'? And at what point can we start chucking people going on about Project Fear in the sea?

Probably at some point in April.

Of course it will be the EU's fault. Or the government's fault. Or the Remainers fault, somehow.

It will never be because leaving the EU was a shit decision.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The Beeb

Never mind that, we'll be eating the ****!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The Beeb

This tweet applies:

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Coin toss for which thread this should go in but UKIps are putting this through peoples doors in Sussex

eV5uGLhl.jpg

They're **** barmy. What a bunch of utter twunts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Coin toss for which thread this should go in but UKIps are putting this through peoples doors in Sussex

eV5uGLhl.jpg

if a national newspaper can show specific individuals and name them enemies of the state, then unfortunately, thick racist scum like UKIP are allowed to make more generalised right wing threats

meanwhile BBC TV news just runs vox pops of people saying they think it will all probably be fine, apparently that counts as necessary balance against experts saying there's a small but genuine risk that it won't be

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

I see the official Labour party position is apparently to abstain on the second reading of the Immigration Bill.

And also not to support Cooper's amendment tomorrow.

They appear to have changed from abstaiing to a one line whip on voting against (which I think basically means that they don't give much of a shit as to what their MPs do or even if they don't bother to turn up).

Â