The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not quite. 

You presented evidence, I asked for clarification and you told me to look for it myself. That's not how it works. Burden of proof is on you. 

Better things to do, frankly. If you'd any real curiosity you'd have a look for yourself and prove wiki a liar. 

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

“Show me the evidence!”

”Not that evidence, dammit!” 

Lol. 

This reminded me of a muppet on Facebook the other day reference coronavirus.

He said something about number of deaths and I replied a link to ONS about the amount of surplus deaths. His reply was that “it’s impossible to know if those numbers are true of not”.

Then 15 minutes later he’s positing a screen shot of some made up (and proven to be fake) stats about deaths rates as basis for confirming it’s all a lie.

It’s relevant because he’s a massive brexiteer. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Better things to do, frankly. If you'd any real curiosity you'd have a look for yourself and prove wiki a liar. 

Time to say something but no time to prove it. 

Sounds like every Brexiteer I've met. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

To be fair, I think it's pretty safe to take those figures in good faith. Wikipedia isn't a source to quote in your PhD, but the information isn't going to be all that wrong. 

The thing that exploded in the last decade isn't the feeling itself, but the strength of feeling. I'm not a huge fan of Yorkshire pudding. I'll eat it if someone has put it on my plate, but I'll never make them myself unless I know someone else particular wants them. But on the question of "Yorkshire puddings, yes or no?", I'd lean on the side of no.

However if the papers suddenly were filled with stories about how they are made of dog-shit, that they were going to poison my children and that we had to join a side for a twenty-year culture war on the subject then I might find myself feeling more batterphobic than I was before.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s a whole weird extreme right wing nut thing going on right now, leaping from brexit to covid to all lives matter and any other cause they can find another dozen unwitting participants.

Lots n lots of absolute nasty dangerous right wing throbbers having a field day.

No one is happy.

We live under far too much pressure these days, economic pressures, environmental pressures, the desire for social acceptance and a constant message that only through self-improvement and growth can we ever attain happiness.

People are scared for the future, post-modernism has set in and we seemingly have very little to aim for any more, so in lieu of anything to look forward to we instead look backwards - hence the rise of right wing politics, playing on the above mentioned fears and attempting to drag people back 100 years to a time when things were simpler, everyone had the same colour skin as you (in your country), they all spoke the same language and shared the same values, everyone watched and listened to the same media content so you could relate to the average person sat next to you.

We need to embrace the future again, I’m plenty guilty of not doing so personally and that’s something I need to work on. But people need hope to do that, and the world feels largely hopeless right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Always the personal with you, isn’t it? I gave you figures and a link to them. If you want more evidence, or to disprove it, I’m really not holding you back. 

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

To be fair, I think it's pretty safe to take those figures in good faith. Wikipedia isn't a source to quote in your PhD, but the information isn't going to be all that wrong. 

I wasnt questioning the figures. I was interested in the areas, pollsters and sample size. When discussing statistics and polls, they are reasonable clarifications to ask for. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Same issue as the William Shatner tweet earlier in the year

Excellent.  We can now concentrate on buying British Cycle Spares and British Shatners. 

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Looking at the profile of that  company, it appears they’re originally a British based company which just adds a dash more salt to the wound.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wonder which is better for our side - tangentially linking stuff like this as the fault of Brexit to make more people think it's bad (much like Johnson et al have done the other way for the last thirty years), or be scrupulously accurate and not descend to their level.

As the EU is bringing in basically the same thing in July. So it is annoying, but it's only bringing forward something that would have happened anyway.

When using this import scheme, sellers will need to charge and collect the VAT from EU customers when the payment for the goods has been accepted. The total EU VAT will then need to be declared and remitted in a single monthly VAT return submitted to the member state where the seller is registered for the import scheme.  

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

Â