The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Really pretty incredible to hear a Tory say things like this, from the perspective of the last 40-50 years (and arguably much longer):

As an argument, it seems to have more in common with Tony Benn's 'Alternative Economic Strategy' than it does with Tory party orthodoxy, and it's quite hard to square with the praise they think we should be lauding with with for securing trade deals with eg Japan.

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My interpretation from watching the news leading up to the EU referendum was that the fishing and farm industry were in favour of taking back control. Has the news been lying to us?

Were the Brexit Tories and the right-wing billionaire press lying to everyone?

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Same tit in the same interview said that the lamb industry was going to have to diversify in to beef cattle.

If anyone knows of a breed of cow that thrives on mountain sides, could they give the farmers a quick bell.

This is pre-GCSE level geography, seriously, there are many 14 year old children in the country that will know this

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My interpretation from watching the news leading up to the EU referendum was that the fishing and farm industry were in favour of taking back control. Has the news been lying to us?

No, the political elites were lying to the fishing and farming industry. 

The trade press at the time were (broadly) in favour of remain. They knew the damage that would be done.

Unfortunately the industries themselves decided to listen to stockbrokers and landowners. 

39 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

No, the political elites were lying to the fishing and farming industry. 

The trade press at the time were (broadly) in favour of remain. They knew the damage that would be done.

Unfortunately the industries themselves decided to listen to stockbrokers and landowners. 

I live in a semi rural location, you couldn’t move for purple billboards in farmers fields here. 

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I live in a semi rural location, you couldn’t move for purple billboards in farmers fields here. 

I remember going to a debate a couple of years ago (notlong after Gove outlines their proposed government payment policy so Oct 2017, I think) that had one of the local representatives of the NFU on it who suggested the split amongst their members was about 60-40 in favour of leaving (mainly around the CAP).

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

But what on Earth could be the reason our ports are struggling, so close to Brexit?

Well, all those things you mention, definitely. But I expect it's mainly this:

Ex-Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has landed a £100,000 job advising the owner of some of the UK's top ports.

The Conservative MP is working for Hutchison Ports, which operates Harwich and Felixstowe among other terminals.

• Haha 2

8 minutes long, but certainly worth a watch.

A tory I respect. There aren't many I can say that about, the current crop are shameless words removed to a person.

It's stunning that Kay Burley is employed as a journalist, one has to say.

Edited by Davkaus

6 weeks to go. "Stock up on long life food just in case". What an unforgivable shambles.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/nov/17/police-warn-no-deal-brexit-would-have-major-operational-impact

Schools have been told to stock up on longer shelf life products in preparation for a no-deal Brexit, as police chiefs warned that such an outcome would damage their ability to fight crime.

Department for Education (DfE) guidance published on Tuesday urged schools to prepare for what was described as “possible changes to their food supply chain” from 1 January “so they can minimise the effect on pupils and young people in their care”.

Stressing that schools would still be responsible for meeting children’s dietary requirements, the guidance said necessary changes might include “varying the timing and number of deliveries to allow for transport delays” and “ordering longer shelf life products during this period, such as frozen foods or foods that can be safely stored at room temperature”.

Unions expressed concern with Paul Whiteman, general secretary of school leaders’ union NAHT warning: “Let’s be frank: there’s almost nothing that any school can meaningfully do to mitigate the effects of Brexit, as they have no control over what will happen after 1 January.”

“So it is entirely wrong for the government to offload responsibility for a successful Brexit outcome onto schools and other public services.”

The guidance came as a new letter from police chiefs warned that a no-deal Brexit would cause “major” operational damage to their ability to fight crime and terrorism. Crucial tools used millions of times a year would be lost, with their replacements slower and less effective, the letter from police chiefs warned.

On 16/11/2020 at 08:40, chrisp65 said:

If anyone knows of a breed of cow that thrives on mountain sides, could they give the farmers a quick bell.

Doozy. Here’s both a mountain cow and a bell.  #Taking back Cow Tirol 

Eiger Cow  Bernese Oberland, Switzerland  Mountain Photography by Jack Brauer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â