The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Could have gone in either the virus thread or this one but potential for some positive news for a change:

UK factories could be making up to £4.8bn more goods for British retailers in the next 12 months as the coronavirus pandemic and Brexit prompt businesses to bring home production.

The additional orders, largely of food and fashion but potentially including DIY products and homewares, would be equivalent to the country’s entire current clothing manufacturing output, according to a report by advisory firm Alvarez & Marsal and research group Retail Economics.

Signs of the trend have already emerged with online fashion site Asos making its new lower-priced AsYou range at approved factories in Leicester, and Ted Baker announcing its Made in Britain range this month.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/23/covid-and-brexit-could-see-uk-manufacturers-bringing-it-all-back-home

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Could have gone in either the virus thread or this one but potential for some positive news for a change:

There are a couple of things in there, firstly:

Seven in 10 of the retailers surveyed for the report said they had already started changing the way they sourced goods to meet green or ethical targets,” the report said.

So, not either Covid or Brexit related.

And then there's this:

Jenny Holloway, the chief executive of Fashion Enter which also has a factory in north London, said business was up by more than a third this year. She said retailers were looking for more responsive supply close to home, after the uncertainties of the pandemic highlighted the inflexibility of shipping clothing from Asia.

“It’s commercial suicide to back long lead-time stock at the moment. Retailers are getting closer and closer to the season,” she said. “There is no way I would have opened the factory in Wales unless I was certain there’s a long-term trend in coming back to the UK. It’s exciting.”

'At the moment' and then 'certain there's a long-term trend'. The former seems a relatively objective judgment, the latter merely her punt.

Didn't Asos pull out of having garments made in Leicester at one point over concerns of slave labour, then two years later it got exposed with Boo Hoo?

Excuse my scepticism of this great announcement as this particular manufacturing industry has a poor track record and one I suspect this government is only too keen to encourage

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

... one I suspect this government is only too keen to encourage.

What with them being able to delete what they fancy from human and workers' rights and everything.

You know whatever positive comes out of this will be served drowned in chlorinated shit sauce.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Plus when you go into the details, it becomes more problematic. A casual glance suggests that this is the UK testing their border, and this is a way of ironing out the creases.

It's the French authorities testing their system. And it's working fine. 

So the five mile queue is us using the current seamless arrangements, and the French using the January 1st ones. Our plan still isn't really a thing.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know this is trivial, but I have to travel to Kent on Saturday . . . are they planning to do more of this endless-tailback stuff, does anyone know?

Well judging from that picture in the Guardian tweet, so long as you are not planning to drive on the hard shoulder...you should be fine! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know this is trivial, but I have to travel to Kent on Saturday . . . are they planning to do more of this endless-tailback stuff, does anyone know?

It doesn’t really answer your question, but junction 11 near Folkestone gets a couple of mentions in the article linked in this tweet (a thread about what @ml1dch said above). So if you’re going as far as that then possibly it’ll be a problem.

• Like 1

The Sausage Dividend

Brexit: Popular EU sausages set to disappear from British supermarkets, in new trade blow

Talks to prevent EU ban on imports of chilled meats likely to fail – with UK required to do the same

Irish sausages and German bratwurst are set to disappear from British supermarkets in new Brexit blow to trade, it is feared.

Talks to prevent an EU ban on the importing of chilled meats are likely to fail, a trade expert says – and the terms of the exit deal mean the UK will be required to do the same.

At stake is UK exports of sausage meat, uncooked beef burgers and other uncooked prepared products worth tens of millions of pounds a year.

But the deadlock could also result in popular EU goods, such as Irish sausages and German bratwurst, being turned back at ports – while Northern Ireland would be unable to import British-prepared raw meat.

Indie

An era of black market sausage smuggling is nearly upon us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Sausage Dividend

Indie

An era of black market sausage smuggling is nearly upon us.

A return to the days of a bloke selling unmarked meat out of a carrier bag at the pub. All worth it though to have control again.

• Like 1

Talks to prevent an EU ban on the importing of chilled meats are likely to fail, a trade expert says – and the terms of the exit deal mean the UK will be required to do the same.

It's sort of correct. But only because the current EU law is being adopted wholesale before they start tinkering with it. So if the government want to say "actually we've got no problem with the importing of processed meat" then there's nothing stopping them from changing that law straight away.

They'll probably have bigger things to ruin than making it an immediate priority, but if the Government wants people to be able to buy foreign sausages then "the terms of the exit deal" aren't going to stop them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's sort of correct. But only because the current EU law is being adopted wholesale before they start tinkering with it. So if the government want to say "actually we've got no problem with the importing of processed meat" then there's nothing stopping them from changing that law straight away.

They'll probably have bigger things to ruin than making it an immediate priority, but if the Government wants people to be able to buy foreign sausages then "the terms of the exit deal" aren't going to stop them.

The UK government are using the tit for tat approach because much of Ireland's meat is exported to the UK so I'd assume the UK don't want to just allow it as it's their bargaining chip in this particular negotiation

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

The UK government are using the tit for tat approach because much of Ireland's meat is exported to the UK so I'd assume the UK don't want to just allow it as it's their bargaining chip in this particular negotiation

I expect you're correct, but it's a pretty hopeless chip. Per this story from February, so it's not something that's suddenly appeared as an issue:

British meat makers have been warned that they could be blocked from selling sausages to EU countries after Brexit.

The possible ban on sales stems from the need for a certificate to sell animal products – but no license exists for ‘meat preparation’ products.

The license (still) doesn't exist. With enough political goodwill there's no reason that it couldn't, but I'm struggling to see where the internal pressure to develop such a license, just to help UK exporters would come from. Maybe Ireland as you say, but you'd think they'd just move into the European space vacated by the UK.

I'd give it until no later than the start of the summer barbecue season until the Government realises that all the hot dog sausages are imported from Europe and changes the law to let them in. 

Edited by ml1dch

41 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

but you'd think they'd just move into the European space vacated by the UK.

I'm not sure it's that simple, iirc. I seem to remember reading way back in the Brexit "Debate" that mainland Europe generally buys the bits of meat from us that the UK palette finds unacceptable. I presume this is much the same for Ireland as we were their biggest market, those cuts that it sell to us already have a supply in mainland Europe. So simplistically, the cheaper unpalatable cuts will go (probably marginally) up in price due to the UK no longer supplying their share of the previous market but Ireland and Ireland will already be supplying their share of this to that market as we never wanted it. On the flipside, the only way for Irish Producers to "disrupt" the existing Internal Market supply chains is to lower their price leading to cheaper prime meat, which may force the price down across the EU leading to unhappy EU farmers (especially Irish ones)

Anyway, just the ramblings of a layman with little economics education, it could be completely wrong

The government has privately admitted the UK faces an increased likelihood of “systemic economic crisis” as it completes its exit from the European Union in the middle of a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

A confidential Cabinet Office briefing seen by the Guardian also warns of a “notable risk” that in coming months the country could face a perfect storm of simultaneous disasters, including the prospect of a bad flu season on top of the medical strains caused by Covid...

... There will not be overall food shortages but problems could reduce availability of some fresh supplies and push up prices. Low income groups will be most at risk of food insecurity if there is a no-deal Brexit, including single parents, children in large families and those with disabilities.

Grauniad

How can this be? With a Johnson/Farage/Putin Brexit?

Meh. Don't know what the fuss is about? Those low income groups can eat the US food with extra shit and chlorine now our food standards have been dropped.for Brexit.

52 minutes ago, Xann said:

Low income groups will be most at risk of food insecurity

Aren’t these the groups that mainly voted for Brexit and also want no-deal Brexit too?

From my own experience the vocal ones I’ve seen on social media fall into that group.

Â