The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

The factory is in Hyde though according to the interwebs. 

So they're probably fine.

This is a textbook case for Rules of Origin. Joe Public reckons trade agreements are about tariffs. They might have been in 1920, but in 2020 they’re about how much of that sausage has to come from Ireland to be called Irish.

This is the “control” you lot (not you, @ml1dch!) are so concerned about. Bloody sausage fests.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Enda said:

This is a textbook case for Rules of Origin. Joe Public reckons trade agreements are about tariffs. They might have been in 1920, but in 2020 they’re about how much of that sausage has to come from Ireland to be called Irish.

It's a good case study, but I think they'd be fine. They don't claim to be Irish (I think they'd struggle to claim that even under current rules), they claim an Irish recipe. Either way, I imagine they'd fix that particular problem with a quick rebrand and just carry on.

Emulsified high-fat offal tubes all round. Worked for Jim Hacker.

Whether we wanted it or not, we are about to fully 'leave'. I know we actually left in January, but the transition period has felt like literally nothing has changed, so now feels like a good moment to take stock. But all I can think about is the Grenfell inquiry, and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine disaster that is unfolding. What impression does this leave of 'Global Britain'?

46 minutes ago, colhint said:

Seems as though Carole Cadwalldr has lost her case, offering no evidence and having to pay money to Arron Banks. Why she left it to the day of the hearing is baffling.

Extremely baffling given that she actually sent a tweet a couple of weeks ago apologising unreservedly to Banks

I received an email from my car insurers warning me that I might need a green card if I want to drive into the EU after December 31st. They're not sure, but they've set up a website to obtain one if needed. It doesn't take too long, and it's not a huge problem. What I take issue with, is they don't know. Nobody does. And we have 5 weeks left.

At this point things ought to be pretty set in stone and just putting the final preparations in place, but it's all just up in the air. The tories have forced a deadline upon the country for no reason other than a rush to appease their ideologist backbenchers, and they're driving us towards a cliff, and really hoping that a bridge is built before we get to the precipice. 

I'm not going to get in to leave vs remain, it's done and it's a pointless conversation, but given they knew we were leaving, their handling of this has been absolutely unforgivable, and brexiteers should be angrier about it than anyone. They couldn't have **** this up more if they were doing it on purpose.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I received an email from my car insurers warning me that I might need a green card if I want to drive into the EU after December 31st. They're not sure, but they've set up a website to obtain one if needed. It doesn't take too long, and it's not a huge problem. What I take issue with, is they don't know. Nobody does. And we leave in 5 weeks.

At this point things ought to be pretty set in stone and just putting the final preparations in place, but it's all just up in the air. The tories have forced a deadline upon the country for no reason other than a rush to appease their ideologist backbenchers, and they're driving us towards a cliff, and really hoping that a bridge is built before we get to the precipice. 

I'm not going to get in to leave vs remain, it's done and it's a pointless conversation, but given they knew we were leaving, their handling of this has been absolutely unforgivable, and brexiteers should be angrier about it than anyone. They couldn't have **** this up more if they were doing it on purpose.

Their main argument would be that it is necessary for the negotiation.

If the UK had gone for a 'soft Brexit' and agreed to be bound by European regulations it would have been finished years ago. However they are trying to negotiate a position where the UK 'has it's cake and eats it', forcing the EU to undermine some of its core regulations. The only way they could bend the EU like that is by making sure the threat of mutually assured destruction (i.e. No Deal) is still a real possibility right up to the end. 

It's a pretty high stakes play and it remains to be seen if they are successful at extracting more from the EU than they otherwise would have done.  

There is nothing mutual about this assured destruction is there? What cards do we hold?

It's like someone trying to rob you, but instead of holding a gun to your head, they're threatening to shit themselves unless you give them your wallet.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There is nothing mutual about this assured destruction is there? What cards do we hold?

It's like someone trying to rob you, but instead of holding a gun to your head, they're threatening to shit themselves unless you give them your wallet.

Oh it would be massively more painful for the UK than the EU but the EU would take a pretty big hit as well (particularly certain counties, Ireland being an obvious one).

I think a better analogy would be the UK as a suicide bomber, threatening to blow themselves up and severely damage those around them. 

• Like 1

Â