The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Oh it would be massively more painful for the UK than the EU but the EU would take a pretty big hit as well (particularly certain counties, Ireland being an obvious one).

I think a better analogy would be the UK as a suicide bomber, threatening to blow themselves up and severely damage those around them. 

Also in a time when I assume the EU budget needs to go up a fair bit they’re losing our hefty contribution, double whammy for them. I guess that any deal will involve us putting money into the EU again.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Also in a time when I assume the EU budget needs to go up a fair bit they’re losing our hefty contribution, double whammy for them. I guess that any deal will involve us putting money into the EU again.

Yes they are losing our contributions but they will also be trying to get some of that back in this deal. Why would the EU need more money now? Because of COVID?

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes they are losing our contributions but they will also be trying to get some of that back in this deal. Why would the EU need more money now? Because of COVID?

Yes. Just this morning I was reading that Germany wants to close all ski resorts across Europe and wants the EU to enforce it. The argument being if just they do it, then German people just go to the others and there’s even more spread as people cross borders.
They said if they do then the EU will have to compensate these resorts. Just 1 example. There’s probably shit loads where Covid is going to take money from the EU bank account.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes. Just this morning I was reading that Germany wants to close all ski resorts across Europe and wants the EU to enforce it. The argument being if just they do it, then German people just go to the others and there’s even more spread as people cross borders.
They said if they do then the EU will have to compensate these resorts. Just 1 example. There’s probably shit loads where Covid is going to take money from the EU bank account.

Shut the towel manufacturers and dats Ze Germans buggered for the summer too 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Why would the EU need more money now? Because of COVID?

I think all nations need more money but I don't think its that.

Could just be a deal really is the best option for both sides at this time.  Their really is a whole world of problems to solve and I think some pragmatism will take hold.

The EU doesn't need the UK as much as the other way around I am sure of that but they also need a smoother route out of the Covid mess.  

It's not a good look either,  the UK suffered almost the worst in most things covid (Deaths / GDP drop and so on),  their is nothing to gain from kicking the UK while its down.  A deal will help the EU rather than hinder its recovery.

On 25/11/2020 at 13:11, Genie said:

A return to the days of a bloke selling unmarked meat out of a carrier bag at the pub. All worth it though to have control again.

0_Dick-PowellJPG.jpg

• Haha 2

On 25/11/2020 at 16:00, bickster said:

Nope, Irish. County Kerry

8-thick.png

Now you have PROPERLY shit me up. 

FFS why are the general public so **** stupid. 

AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I received an email from my car insurers warning me that I might need a green card if I want to drive into the EU after December 31st. They're not sure, but they've set up a website to obtain one if needed. It doesn't take too long, and it's not a huge problem. What I take issue with, is they don't know. Nobody does. And we have 5 weeks left.

At this point things ought to be pretty set in stone and just putting the final preparations in place, but it's all just up in the air. The tories have forced a deadline upon the country for no reason other than a rush to appease their ideologist backbenchers, and they're driving us towards a cliff, and really hoping that a bridge is built before we get to the precipice. 

I'm not going to get in to leave vs remain, it's done and it's a pointless conversation, but given they knew we were leaving, their handling of this has been absolutely unforgivable, and brexiteers should be angrier about it than anyone. They couldn't have **** this up more if they were doing it on purpose.

I've been arranging green cards for my clients for months. 

Thank Christ it's online now and not physically writing out manual green cards (which I am just old enough to remember) but it's just one tiny tiny area of billions where inefficiency will be driven into the economy. 

6 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The EU doesn't need the UK as much as the other way around 

tenor.gif?itemid=15122820

That's not what Farage and Boris said. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 4

It's will worth watching this to see Liz Truss looking increasingly uncomfortable.

To be fair to Liz, she's bloody thick, you can't expect her to know whether a number is bigger than another one.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's will worth watching this to see Liz Truss looking increasingly uncomfortable.

To be fair to Liz, she's bloody thick, you can't expect her to know whether a number is bigger than another one.

What was her response? 

I despise Brexit and I'm sure the British Public will be stitched up, and I voted against it and would do again tomorrow.

But this reminds me when I studied law (low low level) at College and my lecture was talking about someone he knew who was a juror on a murder case who told him after day 1 that the accused was definitely guilty. He asked him if he had heard the case for the defence yet and he said "no" 

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, she's almost certainly full of shit, but it's a rather one sided video. 

3 hours ago, colhint said:

not if the EU countries can't afford to pay them

The direct national contributions to the EU are about 0.7% of GDP. That’s 7p for every £10.

They’re able to find the 7p.

Â