The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Another day, another t**tting for the worst PM and government in their traitors' cause.

The government has suffered a heavy defeat in the House of Lords over its controversial Brexit legislation.

The Internal Market Bill contains measures that overrule parts of the UK's Brexit agreement with the EU.

Peers voted overwhelmingly to remove a section of the bill that would allow ministers to break international law - by 433 votes to 165.

The government said it would reinstate the clauses when the bill returns to the House of Commons next month.

BBC

What used to be big news barely registers with this shower of shit.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is Barnier still in London?

Weve not heard much about this weeks intensive negotiations.

Michel has a sense of humour!

Not heard much as both sides have agreed to kip quiet for final push. Expect a deal that sees both Europhiles and Farage very upset. The government spin and misdirection will make Dave O’Leary’s “good bunch of a lads” press conferences look like Martin Luther King.

• Thanks 1

So we're leaving a large trading bloc to go it alone... meanwhile, today, 15 countries formed the world's largest trading bloc, The RCEP (Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership)

ono7y4tuycz51.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

30% of the World's Population and GDP

But yep, we get to sell birds eggs to Japan tariff free.

Woo and indeed Hoo

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

So we're leaving a large trading bloc to go it alone... meanwhile, today, 15 countries formed the world's largest trading bloc, The RCEP (Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership)

Woo and indeed Hoo

Can’t Farage and co do something useful like campaign to get us into that club?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Woo and indeed Hoo

I suspect there is no free movement of people in that trading bloc 😆

Edited by LondonLax
  • Haha 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

I suspect there is no free movement of people in that trading block 😆

Yes, I get that. There wasn't in the EEC either.

So who are the much lorded and feted Aussies gonna sell to?

Inside their tariff free area closer to home or to the UK on the other side of the world where there will be tariffs as well as added transportation costs? Doesn't take much imagination

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, I get that. There wasn't in the EEC either.

So who are the much lorded and feted Aussies gonna sell to?

Inside their tariff free area closer to home or to the UK on the other side of the world where there will be tariffs as well as added transportation costs? Doesn't take much imagination

Australia exports natural resources (mainly iron ore and natural gas) and some agricultural products (mostly live beef). China buys that stuff up by the freighter load. I don’t know how much synergy there is with trade between the UK and Australia in the 21st century. We’re well past exporting wool to the spinning wheels of Manchester. 

Edited by LondonLax

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Australia exports natural resources (mainly iron ore and natural gas) and some agricultural products (mostly live beef). China buys that stuff up by the freighter load. I don’t know how much synergy there is with trade between the UK and Australia in the 21st century. We’re well past exporting wool to the spinning wheels of Manchester. 

I know that, you know that and anyone with half a brain knows it too but that hasn't stopped Brexit throbbers the length and breadth of the country using Australia as both a yardstick and one of our biggest potential future trading partners.

Meanwhile... the much vaunted "Australia manages" has just gone and joined the world's largest trading bloc, which has been 9 years in the making

There's all kinds of irony going on here

• Like 2

I genuinely think there were people that voted for Brexit, including a fair few tory MP drones, that thought Australia and New Zealand were basically on hold since the early 70’s waiting for us to pick up the phone and give them the good news they can start trading again.

It’s quite the problem when your world view is still basically some hybrid time that incorporates 1945, 1966 and a general sort of 1950’s vibe but with Concord and the Silver Jubilee. 

• Like 3

Â