Jump to content

The now-enacted will of (some of) the people


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:
Not only inconsequential, but entirely false

We currently have 0% tariffs due to the EU trade agreement we're currently a part of.

We’ll I guess it’s technically not false but super disingenuous 🧐 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

China originally, they make and export the most. Then Netherlands, then Japan.

So it’s a strange product for the department for international trade to pick to demonstrate the great deal then. 
You’d like to think there are some good people tucked away somewhere but it’s looking less and less likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexiteers will one day tell their grandchildren of the day they found out that soy sauce wouldn't go up in cost by approximately 12 pence for a 250ml bottle. "It was the day I realised that all of the sacrifice would be worthwhile".

If we buy a few billion bottles of that a year....we won't have saved a penny compared to being in the EU. But we'll certainly have a lot of soy sauce, and that ought to count for something. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bickster said:

 

That line of attack is a bit weak. A 17% is still a 17% increase even if Japan gets a bigger portion of the increase.

The real problem is if that increased trade is at the cost of a massive reduction in trade with the EU, more than cancelling out any benefits (which it seems almost certain to do).

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That line of attack is a bit weak. A 17% is still a 17% increase even if Japan gets a bigger portion of the increase.

The real problem is if that increased trade is at the cost of a massive reduction in trade with the EU, more than cancelling out any benefits (which it seems almost certain to do).

It's not 17% of a benefit from a 0% start though is it? It's replacing a deal we already have with Japan with many benefits as it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's not 17% of a benefit from a 0% start though is it? It's replacing a deal we already have with Japan with many benefits as it is.

It’s not clear to be honest. I took the deal to mean there was a small amount of additional trade generated between the U.K. and Japan under this direct agreement, compared with the value of trade between the U.K. and Japan under the EU agreement (that the U.K. was previously operating under). Of that additional trade, 17% are additional U.K. exports and 83% are U.K. imports. 

However rereading the FT article it’s not actually clear if it’s additional trade over the current status quo or additional trade compared with a future scenario where no FT agreement is in place. The last line from the article is perhaps telling:

Quote

Ms Truss has so far failed to produce economic modelling to show how the UK-Japan deal is superior to the EU-Japan deal that it replaces.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bickster said:

F**k buiness #3987746

 

Feel sorry for the workers but not the owners, guess which side the owners were on? Yup

Does cheap mean poor quality or just a copy but cheaper ?

Brompton will fold eventually I suppose.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an interesting piece on one of the news shows over the weekend about what the US election meant to the UK. You guys may know all this already but I found it quite interesting.

They said that Trump dislikes the EU and likes Boris, he is willing to do a trade deal with the UK (on his terms) as a means to disrupt the block.

They said Biden is a fan of the EU, thinks Brexit was a huge mistake and a no-deal Brexit will be a catastrophe. He does not like Boris Johnson and sees him as another Donald Trump. He is unlikely to want to do a trade deal with the UK so that it doesn’t incentivise to decision the UK has made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

There was an interesting piece on one of the news shows over the weekend about what the US election meant to the UK. You guys may know all this already but I found it quite interesting.

They said that Trump dislikes the EU and likes Boris, he is willing to do a trade deal with the UK (on his terms) as a means to disrupt the block.

They said Biden is a fan of the EU, thinks Brexit was a huge mistake and a no-deal Brexit will be a catastrophe. He does not like Boris Johnson and sees him as another Donald Trump. He is unlikely to want to do a trade deal with the UK so that it doesn’t incentivise to decision the UK has made.

Another reason to want Biden to win then. As we have been consistently told no deal is better than a bad deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â