The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Whatever the economic impact, the simple fact is, from January 1st we will have control of our borders.

Something that was literally banned under the EU tyranny when we weren’t allowed to close borders under any circumstances.

Hoorah!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:
3 hours ago, blandy said:

Oh I agree with that. But I guessed the point Awol was making was that Remainers had claimed the people in charge had been planning for no deal and that us now getting a deal countered that point. But I'm not sure that's accurate.

Absolutely. I was being a bit satirical. And also making a point about the absolute fortune spent preparing for a clusterpork, which only the absolute throbbers actually want. The headbangers and venture capitalists exist and would love no deal. The rest all want a deal. I must confess I thought a couple of weeks back that the headbangers might prevail over flippy floppy Bunter, but he seems to have grasped the lunacy of their position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

From a future perspective, the interesting question is at what point in 2021 does the UK government try to disown the agreement (or important parts of it) that it seems to have made (assuming they do make it, sign it and so on)?

Going by recent precedent, mid-January seems a good bet :)

I don't think it would necessarily be unreasonable to suggest something along the lines of 'well, there are several things in the agreement that we aren't happy with, but it was important to sign a deal so we have done that and we will revisit the issues we are unhappy about in future negotiations', but of course that is *literally the opposite* of the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' mantra we have had shoved down our throats for 4+ years, so it would be pretty brazen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

So today is the day we find out if those trumpeting Brexit all agree this is what they voted for.

Well that's the rub isn't it.  What did people vote for? 

Many voted out with the deal they were promised and were promised would be easy to achieve so will probably be mainly satisfied. 

Many voted out means out and wanted no deal. They will be very unhappy. 

The whole error of Brexit is that people didn't know what they were voting for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well that's the rub isn't it.  What did people vote for? 

Many voted out with the deal they were promised and were promised would be easy to achieve so will probably be mainly satisfied. 

Many voted out means out and wanted no deal. They will be very unhappy. 

The whole error of Brexit is that people didn't know what they were voting for. 

I've mentioned this a few times and have been shot down with "yeah but then people elected the tories 2 elections in a row", and they did, but with well under half of the votes.

Edited by Davkaus

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've mentioned this a few times and have been shot down with "yeah but then people elected the tories 2 elections in a row", and they did, but with well under half of the votes.

Yes, but throughout those elections they were still trumpeting the easy deal solution, whilst also saying they they were prepared to walk away if they didn't get it. 

The fools were just being easily led. 

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is the bottom line. 

If you supported political integration, free movement, the relentless widening of EU competencies over policy areas and the supremacy of European law in those areas, then yes, the existing deal was the best one. 

If you thought those things were bad, and the economic argument only one to be weighed against many others (as Brexiteers argued), then no, it wasn’t the bottom line. 

Was interesting to see a poll in the Mirror - of all places - last weekend showing a majority for Brexit (albeit even narrower) if the referendum was rerun today. The leftie journos were suitably horrified to see people still not prioritizing money over all else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

If you supported political integration, free movement, the relentless widening of EU competencies over policy areas and the supremacy of European law in those areas, then yes, the existing deal was the best one. 

The UK had the power to veto any further integration. We had the power to veto and new policies, and any new laws.

So we're left with what it really comes down to for most Brexiteers. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

If you thought those things were bad, and the economic argument only one to be weighed against many others (as Brexiteers argued), then no, it wasn’t the bottom line. 

Was interesting to see a poll in the Mirror - of all places - last weekend showing a majority for Brexit (albeit even narrower) if the referendum was rerun today. The leftie journos were suitably horrified to see people still not prioritizing money over all else. 

Well said.

Good to see a deal done any road.  We've been told for ages that it couldn't be done, and that the little UK couldn't expect a free trade deal etc etc, and yet he we are.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Deal is done according to BBC

Yep, I’ve just been watching the EU press conference.

They were talking quite respectfully about the UK. They said the deal was not really something to celebrate, but more of a relief.

Edited by Genie

Â