The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Galileo encrypted military signal thing is actually a big deal.

We'd (as part of the EU) spent a ton of money and were a key part of doing that (including hi tech jobs), but that money is now lost, and the jobs have gone back to the continent. So we bought a totally inappropriate, struggling US satellite communications company, which uses and works on a different technology, for another ton of money, with the unachievable aim of using their tech to replace what we lost through Galileo.

It'll be quietly dropped in a year or so, I guess - but it's utter madness for the sake of "Freedom" - yeah, freedom not to have jobs and technology and be part of a co-operative project.

The EU excluded us from the sexy part of Galileo, we didn’t chin it off for fun. UK hadn’t anticipated that for the reasons you state (UK sunk investment and tech), but France was looking for symbolic political punches, not strategic wins.

I strongly suspect this will now be picked up as a 5 Eyes project minus the US, not be binned entirely. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

He really is pushing the fish. Hope you fellas like herring. 

Did an Erasmus year in Sweden, bloody love the stuff. 

Wife did her year abroad in California and can't stand it. 

Guess we should send more students to Scandinavia for a year abroad. 

45 minutes ago, Awol said:

The EU excluded us from the sexy part of Galileo, we didn’t chin it off for fun. UK hadn’t anticipated that for the reasons you state (UK sunk investment and tech), but France was looking for symbolic political punches, not strategic wins.

I strongly suspect this will now be picked up as a 5 Eyes project minus the US, not be binned entirely. 

True we didn't anticipate we'd be binned off, but it happened as a consequence of Brexit, whatever the motivations of France etc. And I'm not sure they wanted to lose our funding into it or expertise.

I dunno about an alternative being picked up by 5 eyes minus the US - I suspect that as the UK did in the summer with May's idea to go it alone, which Johnson binned off, they will quietly bin this "OneWeb" company too (Cummins daft idea) and ask to be allowed to have access to the Galileo encrypted satellites - just without the jobs and associated expertise.

The OneWeb satellite tech is all around LEO, which are smaller and go like the clappers, whereas GNSS satellites need to be larger and MEO, which take a lot longer to orbit the earth.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thank **** this shits over with.

2 years of shambles bullshit and utter chaos

This is just the beginning, you’ll be negotiating with the EU for years. 

The next step is the negotiations over financial services. They were not part of this deal and make up a huge part of the U.K. economy. 

• Like 3

I suspect that will be borne out by the analysis that comes out over the next few days.

At times I found myself nodding along as Boris spoke and thinking "well, I didn't want this, but what's done is done, let's make the best of it", then I remembered him just spouting completely illogical bullshit in the first minute of his speech. This deal will allow us to trade more with the EU than we did when we were in it...It's absolute nonsense. And I suspect most of the rest was as well. He lies again, and again, and again. He said some stuff that sounded reasonable, even promising, but he did so with the advantage of the deal not being public yet so he couldn't be held to account.

He's a good salesman if you don't know that what he's selling is snake oil, and I'm almost certain that when the full text of the deal is published and scrutinised, we'll find out that he lied repeatedly throughout his speech. It's what he does. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I suspect that will be borne out by the analysis that comes out over the next few days.

At times I found myself nodding along as Boris spoke and thinking "well, I didn't want this, but what's done is done, let's make the best of it", then I remembered him just spouting completely illogical bullshit in the first minute of his speech. This deal will allow us to trade more with the EU than we did when we were in it...It's absolute nonsense. And I suspect most of the rest was as well.

Shortly afterwards he said that "there will be no non-tariff barriers to trade".

Which couldn't be more of an outright lie if he'd said that as part of the deal they'd agreed to rename Le Berlaymont as "Boris's Brexit Sex Cauldron".

My gut feeling is that he doesn't actually know what those words mean and he's in for a bit of a shock in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-on-gibraltar-future-relationship

The UK, side by side with the Government of Gibraltar, has held constructive discussions with Spain regarding future relationship issues relating to Gibraltar. All sides acknowledged the challenging nature of this process at the outset of talks. Although an agreement has not yet been reached on Gibraltar’s future relationship with the EU, we will continue our discussions with Spain to safeguard Gibraltar’s interests, and those of the surrounding region.

In addition, we are also working closely with the Government of Gibraltar, in discussion with Spain and the EU, to mitigate the effects of the end of the Transition Period on Gibraltar. We are totally committed to protecting Gibraltar’s interests. That includes ensuring border fluidity, which is clearly in the best interests of the communities that live on both sides

I didn't realise they weren't included in this agreement. Yikes. 

We can sell goods. But we have to follow EU rules that we no longer get a say on.

People who work in financial, legal and other services will be able to offer their services in the EU but their qualifications aren't recognised so there will be all sorts of red tape and extra certifications required to do so.

We have a customs barrier in between NI and rUK. We also have a customs barrier between us and the EU, likely to add significant overheads and delays to British companies that import or export goods.

But we have "control of our own laws", as long as we don't mind tariffs being introduced if we diverge from EU laws and regulations too much. And we won't have as many foreign people here, at the cost of it being harder for us to go to the EU. And we get about an extra 15% of the fishing quotas over 5 years.

It's better than no deal. It's still a bit shit though isn't it? Anyone actually happy with this outcome? Is this what you voted for?

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

This is just the beginning, you’ll be negotiating with the EU for years. 

The next step is the negotiations over financial services. They were not part of this deal and make up a huge part of the U.K. economy. 

I should have clarified when i said all this shits over i meant in terms of are we getting a deal or not.

I know this shit storms gonna continue for a while longer

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We can sell goods. But we have to follow EU rules that we no longer get a say on.

People who work in financial, legal and other services will be able to offer their services in the EU but their qualifications aren't recognised so there will be all sorts of red tape and extra certifications required to do so.

We have a customs barrier in between NI and rUK. We also have a customs barrier between us and the EU, likely to add significant overheads and delays to British companies that import or export goods.

But we have "control of our own laws", as long as we don't mind tariffs being introduced if we diverge from EU laws and regulations too much. And we won't have as many foreign people here, at the cost of it being harder for us to go to the EU. And we get about an extra 15% of the fishing quotas over 5 years.

It's better than no deal. It's still a bit shit though isn't it? Anyone actually happy with this outcome? Is this what you voted for?

Its abit shit yeah but it could have been much worse.

Â