The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

It's worth highlighting that the 200m extra forms costing £6.5bn is an HMRC estimate, not something the BBC have cooked up. As far as I can tell, that is only for companies that export goods, and doesn't include the additional costs to businesses providing services. 

This is however a year old estimate that comes from this impact assessment, and was based on a no-deal scenario. That may still be accurate because we're still adhering to the customs requirements and simply trading tariff free, but I think it's worth highlighting, because the BBC certainly didn't, woefully inadequate journalists that they are. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

If we were chatting in the pub and you said something wasn’t true at all, then went on to prove it had some truth in it, I’d probably be too polite to point it out.

That’s the beauty of VT.

Eventually, we all learn to either think about what we write, or put our hands up quickly when we’ve made a basic mistake.

I didn't know the lions would eat my face.

Seriously though, what did he think would happen? Even if we became more global, does it mean that other markets will automatically buy his stock? Why risk alienating the majority of your customers?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Seriously though, what did he think would happen? Even if we became more global, does it mean that other markets will automatically buy his stock? Why risk alienating the majority of your customers?

Part of me watches this with glee and a sense of satisfaction, it’s just a shame it’s taken until now for the penny to drop.

Expect a lot more of these “if I’d known this is what brexit was I’d never have voted for it” type videos to circulate in the next 6 months, particularly when the hordes attempt to go on their jolly’s to Benidorm and zante.

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Too stupid to have such an important vote. In his specific line of business would exporting to the US or India or China be realistic? What a **** moron.

• Like 3

Be very careful, the snake oil conmen are ready to blame the gloating snowflake remainders for the project not being the glittering road to riches that was promised to these people.

There can’t be any schadenfreude because at the end of the day, the collective ‘UK’ suffers and pays for this experiment in how big a lie can be sold to people that want to be lied to.

Incidentally, good to see Ireland offering to keep Northern Ireland in the Erasmus scheme and now also offering to fund keeping Northern Ireland in the EU health card scheme. DUP now voting against this Brexit.

Soft power, properly used. That’ll be another front Johnson will be too lazy and too absent to fight on.

Boris campaigned for this, how is he still in a job? Even forgetting all the other **** ups.

I guess too many people are embarrassed to have bought the lies to protest against him.

Edited by Genie

I remain more angry at the grifters who lied repeatedly, broke electoral laws, and put their own ambition ahead of the health of the nation that the people who fell for it. I wish they'd known better, but it's outrageous how many senior politicians have survived not just speaking half truths, but lying. Then claiming it's the will of the people. 

One of the biggest problems with politics in this country is how many people treat it as a team sport and are more worried about their team winning than anything else. A healthy distrust of politicians on all sides, and an inclination to hold people to account when they fall below expectations even if they are broadly aligned with your political views is essential to have a healthy, functioning democracy IMO, and I just don't know how it can be fixed.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

One of the biggest problems with politics in this country is how many people treat it as a team sport and are more worried about their team winning than anything else.

That's the crux of it.

I have a family member with serious health issues, relying on benefits as now unable to work at all, who thinks it's hilarious to wind me up about "good old Boris" and how bad things would be under Labour.  It's absolutely astonishing.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I remain more angry at the grifters who lied repeatedly, broke electoral laws, and put their own ambition ahead of the health of the nation that the people who fell for it. I wish they'd known better, but it's outrageous how many senior politicians have survived not just speaking half truths, but lying. Then claiming it's the will of the people. 

One of the biggest problems with politics in this country is how many people treat it as a team sport and are more worried about their team winning than anything else. A healthy distrust of politicians on all sides, and an inclination to hold people to account when they fall below expectations even if they are broadly aligned with your political views is essential to have a healthy, functioning democracy IMO, and I just don't know how it can be fixed.

This really blows my mind. I'd love to really understand where this comes from for some people. 

Its so damaging to the country. 

24 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Oh, is that the same "woe is me" eel farmer appearing in a UKIP campaign video with Mike Hookem whining about the EU stopping him from exporting live eels to China?

Why, yes it is.

With no small irony there was a news story today that The EU have just signed a big trade deal with China which opens up China much more to imports from the EU. 

You can bet your top, middle and bottom dollar that that trade deal is much wider than whatever deal we get from China on our own. 

• Like 3

Â