The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

BBC just reported that UK firms will now need to fill in 200 million extra customs forms cost of £7bn per year. 

So by my calculation, that is 1/3 of the savings JUST IN FORMS FOR PHYSICAL EXPORTS. 

Add in the other massive inconvenience and inefficiency this is going to add into our day to day lives it's clear we are going to be miles out of pocket. 

The sheer number of functions which we are going to have to pay for ourselves which previously came out of the EU budget will dwarf that. 

So many agencies and operations we now have to duplicate. 

And still nothing about what actually earns our real money. Financial Services.  All this talk about fishing which apparently compared to the UK GDP represents 0.1% of what Financial Services does. 

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

And we won't have as many foreign people here, at the cost of it being harder for us to go to the EU. 

We won't have as many European foreign people here. We'll have to up the numbers from China, India and Africa in order to make up the deficit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Concerning that this sort of stuff is making its way into legal documentation.

My employer in the mortgage sector, not the government, until last month referenced the inland revenue in their customer documentation.  

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My employer in the mortgage sector, not the government, until last month referenced the inland revenue in their customer documentation.  

Well, I'm not claiming it hasn't happened before! But still, referencing outdated tech is bad enough in itself, but it does make you wonder what sort of errors are scattered through the rest of the documentation. And with errors you will get abuse and confusion and other problems.

As David Allen Green says, legal documentation is more akin to a computer program than a novel, and it will have its share of bugs. Basic errors like the above suggest there will be a LOT of bugs in there. Going to be a fun few months ahead I imagine.

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This too

Particularly at this time? Are we at war in Europe?

It's great film.

It has literally no relevance to Brexit and/or Covid, which I'm assuming is what he is referencing.

**** idiot

Edit: actually I guess Dunkirk could be argued as a failure of leadership. I take it back

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

On 24/12/2020 at 22:39, sidcow said:

BBC just reported that UK firms will now need to fill in 200 million extra customs forms cost of £7bn per year. 

Not true at all. Where I work we export £1mil of goods into the EU every year. I’ve been one of a team of 4 working on making sure we are Brexit ready. All we’ve had to do is change our commercial invoice so it shows specific data, so basically changed the template. Extra/new cost comes from new FCA incoterms which makes the seller responsible for the Export Declaration which has the go with each shipment, these cost approx £20 a time and they are generated by the carrier on behalf of the seller, so the haulage companies are making money off these declarations! (Don’t tell you that on the bbc do they). We negotiated with our customers to consolidate shipment to increase efficiency, reduce the amount of export declarations and also save our customers transport costs.

We are ready to go now, our paperwork has been approved for use and our first shipments into France and Belgium are already booked for mid Jan. Trading with the EU will still be easier than trading with the US, that is another market I am familiar with as we export roughly the same amount of goods there. 

Edited by AndyC

5 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Not true at all. Where I work we export £1mil of goods into the EU every year. I’ve been one of a team of 4 working on making sure we are Brexit ready. All we’ve had to do is change our commercial invoice so it shows specific data, so basically changed the template. Extra/new cost comes from new FCA incoterms which makes the seller responsible for the Export Declaration which has the go with each shipment, these cost approx £20 a time and they are generated by the carrier on behalf of the seller, so the haulage companies are making money off these declarations! (Don’t tell you that on the bbc do they). We negotiated with our customers to consolidate shipment to increase efficiency, reduce the amount of export declarations and also save our customers transport costs.

We are ready to go now, our paperwork has been approved for use and our first shipments into France and Belgium are already booked for mid Jan. Trading with the EU will still be easier than trading with the US, that is another market I am familiar with as we export roughly the same amount of goods there. 

You just said it wasn't true then proved it was true

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AndyC said:

It’s not true there’s extra costs and extra work, four of you have been working on it?

Was it voluntary work in your spare time?

You’ve designed out the extra paperwork....someone else is going to do it.

Will you be avoiding lorry jams at ports by only using trucks and docks?

You are Dominic Raaab, and I claim my £5.

I don’t doubt for a second that for each individual transaction the changes for the vast majority of goods will be minimal, negligible even. But to suggest it’s easy, done and dusted and only a problem due to profiteering haulage companies is a bit of a stretch. But equally, if that is true, I’d love for you to expose this racket in the press. I’d imagine there’s a fair few newspapers and tory MP’s would love to have a chat and a photo op..

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

My MP 🤦‍♂️

He’s your MP because people vote for him.

They’re the ones to blame.

Without all those voters, he’d just be another ‘local character’, half naked in a bush, shouting at traffic and banned from Aldi for that incident in the bakery aisle.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He’s your MP because people vote for him.

They’re the ones to blame.

Without all those voters, he’d just be another ‘local character’, half naked in a bush, shouting at traffic and banned from Aldi for that incident in the bakery aisle.

Leather clad joy boy, You really would have to do something special not to get elected as a Tory around these parts. 

Edited by Follyfoot

Â