The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 hours ago, colhint said:

But only if any is returned to the US. which it's not. Tim Cook appeared before the senate asking for a tax amnesty, and a territorial tax system.

It is a Congressional choice whether to tax on accrual or repatriation basis, or on a territorial or worldwide system. If the IRS wants to go easy on Tim Cook for repatriation then those decisions are made in Washington, not Dublin.

doesn't that show the absurdity  of the EU though? These quotas are held by families and hardly have a boat between them. Half our quota is owned by the Dutch Spanish and Icelandic. The Voyager one boat NI based in Kilkeel harbour was replaced by a new boat in 2015. It wasn't  delivered until 2017 and is too big for the harbour and is now based in Killybegs. It owns 55% of NI fishing. The boat did not exist  for 15 months, yet made an income of £7m in that time.

2 minutes ago, colhint said:

doesn't that show the absurdity  of the EU though? These quotas are held by families and hardly have a boat between them. Half our quota is owned by the Dutch Spanish and Icelandic. The Voyager one boat NI based in Kilkeel harbour was replaced by a new boat in 2015. It wasn't  delivered until 2017 and is too big for the harbour and is now based in Killybegs. It owns 55% of NI fishing. The boat did not exist  for 15 months, yet made an income of £7m in that time.

We’re running out of time to blame everything on the EU, in 8 days time there will be no hiding place.

10 hours ago, colhint said:

doesn't that show the absurdity  of the EU though?

No absolutely not. It is not the EU that allocates who gets the rights to the quota, nor is it the EU that allows those quotas to be sold on to others. That is the UK government

This has been said time and time and time again, yet still people blame the EU

We get our quota, we allocate it and we decide if that allocation can be sold on. Scotland does Scotland's as part of the devolved powers, they do not allow their part of the quota to be sold on.

So can we stop blaming the EU for something which is beyond their scope. The blame lies here with our own Governments

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re running out of time to blame everything on the EU, in 8 days time there will be no hiding place.

They've been pumping out the message that a deal is HIGHLY unlikely and will only get done if the EU shifts it's position significantly for weeks now. 

When it's announced it will be all about how we skilfully manipulated them to shift their stance and what a great victory it is. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They've been pumping out the message that a deal is HIGHLY unlikely and will only get done if the EU shifts it's position significantly for weeks now. 

When it's announced it will be all about how we skilfully manipulated them to shift their stance and what a great victory it is. 

I agree, that’s the short term plan, and as we know with Johnson, there’s never anything beyond the short term plan.

What I hope, is that 5, 7, 9 years down the line people will be less accepting of the lazy facebook lie wheeled out by these conmen that everything is the fault of being in the EU. We will have to own our own shit.

Don’t get me wrong, just like Gordon Brown is still personally responsible now for every cut a tory makes, it‘ll still be blamed on the EU when in 8 years time it turns out Cornwall has less money and the NHS is being strangled. It’ll just be possible less people will believe them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

No absolutely not. It is not the EU that allocates who gets the rights to the quota, nor is it the EU that allows those quotas to be sold on to others. That is the UK government

This has been said time and time and time again, yet still people blame the EU

We get our quota, we allocate it and we decide if that allocation can be sold on. Scotland does Scotland's as part of the devolved powers, they do not allow their part of the quota to be sold on.

So can we stop blaming the EU for something which is beyond their scope. The blame lies here with our own Governments

That's not a true picture though is it? I agree they cannot sell their quota in Scotland, but that didn't come in until 2014/5. For the previous 17 years after devolution, \anything could, and was for a very handsome profit. As did a fair few other nations.

This is one of my major gripes with the EU. They create an environment where people can make a lot of money, and when people do they put their hands up and say nowt to do with me guv, it was the individual nations. Look at the massive land grabs in eastern europe to get cap money, look at the golden passports handed out by Cyprus and Malta, look at the massive tax avoidance. Look at the Unemployment in southern Europe look at fishing quotas handed out way above scientific guidelines. It always appears the same, not my fault, it's individual nations. When they do something good, like internet security, it's all we the EU did that.

The CFP has been managing quotas since 1983. In the early years after that the EU introduced the track record system, whereby you were given a quota based on how many you caught. So fishermen thought, my money depends on my catch. So when Scientists said this was unsustainable, Unfortunately, the UK and portugal I think thought this was a bad idea. So trawlers went out to catch as much as they could, didn't make any difference if they fished out of season, and made a loss, they still got a bigger quota for the next year. It was called the race to fish period. It was against all scientific advice. Loads of British trawlers thought this is crap, it's not supported by the uk. what the hell, this guy from Spain/Holland/ France/Iceland etc will buy my trawler. It'll buy me a house and a car, I'll go and work in a factory.

Seas at risk last year Said  the EU had overestimated the Msy, maximum sustainable yield v Tac, total allowable catch by 16% this is just another number they will ignore, having ignored most of them before.

You are right though, we had no way of influencing them nor do seas at risk or Oceana

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colhint said:

probably more chance than the EU who have been managing it for 50 years wouldn't you think?

No, no I really don’t.

I fear anyone that voted for Brexit in the hope of reducing fish catch in UK waters might be very slightly disappointed.

We’re crashing the economy for the 0.1% of the economy that is fishing. Once we’ve done that, do you imagine we will then tell that fishing industry we are reducing their take by any sort of significant amount?

That would be perverse even by the random chaos of this shockingly incompetent tory government.

You are right, on  the other hand I fear anyone who worries about about climate change, might be disappointed.  we could worsen  the economy for just a very small part of the economy.

That would be perverse even by the random chaos any government.

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Seas at risk last year Said  the EU had overestimated the Msy, maximum sustainable yield v Tac, total allowable catch by 16% this is just another number they will ignore, having ignored most of them before.

How are you sure Seas at Risk, an environmental lobby group, has a more accurate estimate for MSY?

Â