The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The UK can move to stop Brexit by attempting to unilaterally revoke Article 50, legal papers published by the government suggest.

The documents indicate that MPs would first need to direct the government to revoke the Article, which started the countdown to Britain’s withdrawal when it was triggered almost two years ago.

Until now the government has refused to discuss its view of the legality of revocation, but the newly released papers suggest it is a lack of political will rather than any legal barrier that is preventing a bid.

Indie (more on link)

AKA Government says government advice is what we all knew anyway but they tried to hide / deny / obfucate etc. And they left it until the eve of the ECJ hearing

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

You misunderstood the post. It means strong and stable has been replaced with "This Deal or No Deal" (A very shit gameshow- I'm claiming it now before some comedian jumps in and does it)

OP agrees this was the gist of the post 😉.

She's seemingly an expert at putting her fingers in her ears and repeating the same lines over and over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, snowychap said:

@StefanAVFC, more detail on the schedule for the meaningful vote:

"Seasonal gatherings".  In other words, we know you'll all be out on the piss and smashing expensive brass but try to make an effort.  It's kind of important.

MPs - over privileged 15-year-olds who never grew up.

Trump doesn't even know what's going on in the US never mind over here. 

He ignores his intelligence briefings, and it's not like Faux News is covering the details of Brexit, so from where is he getting his opinions? 

A call from Farage is my guess. 

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

She's a scumbag.

A crash test dummy that stays behind after work to practice is more apt currently I think.

I still think she will get it through though,  her deal,  hanging on in there,  like a massive fat berg in a dirty rat infested sewer, it will break free of it's seemingly permanent contraints and ride over all her other little squeeking rats on their little rafts made of shit into permanent reality.

I hope I am wrong.  Enjoy breakfast 

The ECJ hearing on whether A50 is unilaterally revocable is being heard ATM.

So far the UK government position has been 'please just throw out this whole thing for the love of all that is holy', and the EU argument has unsurprisingly been that having it be unilaterally revocable would be a shitshow.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is there any expectation whatsoever that this deal is going to get through parliament?

It’s looking unlikely at the moment, although that could shift if any remain leaning MPs believe the alternative could be a hard brexit and if any staunch brexit MPs believe a “no deal” increases the chance of a second referendum. I wonder if it will take more than one vote before it might be passed or if that is even an option.

3 hours ago, Jon said:

So that cretin Trumpton has stuck the knife into Maybot's brexit deal.  Another nail in the coffin.  No way it's getting through parliament. 

Don't forget - the precedent for this is any comment from a US President on this subject is a terrible affront to our political process and is interference in our democracy.

Or maybe this is somehow different to when Obama commented on it.

• Like 2

The deal should fall at the first hurdle (unless the Tories crumble as they are want to do) but after that, who knows.

May's gamble to accept the first loss and then use the ensuing chaos to force it through at second attempt could work. If resistance holds at that point all bets are off. No Deal by procrastination, extension, GE, a very unlikely Remain opportunity...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Don't forget - the precedent for this is any comment from a US President on this subject is a terrible affront to our political process and is interference in our democracy.

Or maybe this is somehow different to when Obama commented on it.

definitely different  ...

Obama was directly asked by Cameron to come up with his back of the queue comment , Trump presumably wasn't directly asked by the PM to make his comments  :)

Â