The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 minutes ago, V01 said:

Voted. Another guy was there, and he actually asked if you had to use a pencil because someone had said the votes will be rubbed out and changed.

Took that as my cue for a swift exit.

Oh dear, I think  I can guess which way he voted as I 've seen a lot of that kind of material on fb from the out campaign.

If remain wins, then I'm sure there will be a whole raft of conspiracy theories...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I don't think a remain victory will be accepted with good grace. Personally I'm disgusted with how Cameron has behaved I think the calls for his resignation will be quite loud.

Pre-referendum campaign I'd have been happily leading those calls - having seen what he'd likely be replaced with I'm now terrified of a Leave vote and a Boris Johnson government. I'd love Cameron to go and for him to be replaced by a Conservative leader a little nearer to the centre - but it looks like his departure would be linked to a lurch further right, possibly a long way further right. In a little Britain without the stops and checks that the (admittedly clumsy and ineffective) EU provides, that could be a nightmare for anyone who doesn't run a hedge fund.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I don't think a remain victory will be accepted with good grace. Personally I'm disgusted with how Cameron has behaved I think the calls for his resignation will be quite loud.

I agree with what you've said, I don't think the outcome will be well accepted whatever the result. I've also been very unimpressed with Cameron, despite being on the same side for once *shudder*

But I do have to ask, why single out Cameron? Do you think  Boris , Gove and Farage have behaved any better? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I've voted leave. Both campaigns have descended into farce. 

It's a about the supremacy of our parliament and its democratic accountability all else is just noise. I'm not comfortable with people making decisions that effect me when they've got no accountability to me and others democratically. 

Its what the whole thing should have been about, we've got lost in UKIP & Project fear spin

And the Undemocratic nature is also spin. The decisions are made by the elected officials of each Eu country. 

• Like 2

What will be interesting is not whether Leave campaigners will accept a defeat, it's whether they would accept a victory by a small margin that was then ignored as being too marginal to force a change. That's a real possibility.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What will be interesting is not whether Leave campaigners will accept a defeat, it's whether they would accept a victory by a small margin that was then ignored as being too marginal to force a change. That's a real possibility.

If Leave win then we invoke article 50 or whatever number it is, there's no doubt about that. 

The arguments are likely to form around whether a Leave vote is also a mandate to leave the EEA (which might not have won a referendum, but will be necessary to massively reduce immigration). 

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

People voting remain don't seem to feel the need to advertise the fact or convert others, unlike those voting out.

My Facebook page disagrees with this. Every other post is someone campaigning for Remain and being quite unpleasant about people who support Leaving.

• Like 1

What happens if we vote remain (most likely in my Opinion) - but then Boris becomes leader of the Tories ? - will he just put it in the manifesto that we leave the EU - as he or (virtually any Tory leader) look dead certs to win in 20-20...

Short term I think we will remain in the EU - long term I really don't see it...

Boris is blatantly doing this for his own gain. For me, he isn't even hiding that. He's changed his position on the EU multiple times. If he was so principled and anti-EU, he wouldn't flip-flopping.

He's spotted an opportunity for posturing and been very clever about it. Saying things in speeches that people want to hear.

It's terrifying that people have just lapped it up.

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

My Facebook page disagrees with this. Every other post is someone campaigning for Remain and being quite unpleasant about people who support Leaving.

we had the same self righteous sneering during and after the general election as well so in hardly surprised

ive kept out of it on Facebook , my friends and my friends and I'm not interested in falling out with them over political views , I'm actually a little surprised so many  people go public on social media , you know what they say about discussing politics with family and friends 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Boris is blatantly doing this for his own gain. For me, he isn't even hiding that. He's changed his position on the EU multiple times. If he was so principled and anti-EU, he wouldn't flip-flopping.

He's spotted an opportunity for posturing and been very clever about it. Saying things in speeches that people want to hear.

It's terrifying that people have just lapped it up.

He's like a mini Donald Trump. Part of me wants them to initially succeed to enjoy seeing them fail to deliver their promises spectacularly.

Just now, Chindie said:

Boris was a supporter of the EU until this campaign. It's a grandstand for him to sell himself to the party/electorate as a leadership contender.

Which is why it's terrifying that people believe what he says.

• Like 2

People like his bumbling toff persona. The fact it's a front for a pretty staunch Tory seems not to concern them.

Anywho... As said earlier in the thread, I hope everyone's prepared for the fallout from this, whichever way it goes. The new discourse is going to be everything is the EU's fault, good or bad, and if you hadn't voted the way you did back in June 2016...

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Which is why it's terrifying that people believe what he says.

And Corbyn has been anti EU all his career, and Cameron was prepared to leave as well. It's all about their careers and very little to do with what's best for the country. 

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think in will win, purely because I think those still on the fence will decide it's easier to keep things the same.

Yes.

I can't believe more people haven't made this point.

In general elections for example if its looking close - the sitting government nearly always gets it. The don't knows go with what they know....

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am voting in after work, it is is going to be carnage if we leave

The vast majority of those I've spoken to accept that their 'leave' vote could cause short to medium term 'carnage' but is a price worth paying to avoid medium to long term 'carnage'.

Â