The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Confusion, mostly. He has no idea what will happen. Apparently there will be an "amnesty" for those who have had the audacity to enter the UK legally to work up until now, which is nice of them. 

My Croatian friend is talking of leaving. She grew up during the war over there, she's had enough of living in countries where she's told she's not welcome. 

Dude, he proposed an amnesty for people who entered the country ILLEGALLY.  An amnesty, by definition, is letting people off with something they've done that's illegal.  You can't have an amnesty for somebody working here legally.

And who has told your Croatian friend she's not welcome? (although of course, being Croatian, she needs a work permit anyway under the terms of accession).

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That's probably not going to happen, but you have to parse out the financial vs the real economy. The effects on the real economy aren't instantaneous and will play out over the next few months, these are obviously things like consumption, investment and employment decisions. Economic growth and productivity are two things that are likely to take a substantial hit.

I fully expect the economies of the UK and the current EU countries to suffer in the short and medium terms. Even before a referendum was first talked of, I expected the EU to struggle in the medium to long term so the UK may be better off long term.

Incidentally, the vast majority of the 'leave' voters I spoke to before yesterday were fully prepared to accept the likely short and medium term problems but were optimistic of the UK's ability to recover and prosper in the long term. Short term pain for long term gain.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Dude, he proposed an amnesty for people who entered the country ILLEGALLY.  An amnesty, by definition, is letting people off with something they've done that's illegal.  You can't have an amnesty for somebody working here legally.

And who has told your Croatian friend she's not welcome? (although of course, being Croatian, she needs a work permit anyway under the terms of accession).

It shouldn't be up to me to explain that to him. Unfortunately, the thoughts of EU workers based in the UK has been completely disregarded throughout this entire process. They have been disenfranchised. 

52% of the country voted for a motion propped up by xenophobia. That may not be your reasons for wanting to leave, you're an intelligent man so I doubt it very much, but that's just how it is. Unfortunately. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

My Croatian friend is talking of leaving. She grew up during the war over there, she's had enough of living in countries where she's told she's not welcome. 

How sad is that. I have heard similar said on the radio and tv today as well by people from overseas who have been living and working here for years. Shame on us as a nation for making them feel like that.

That is the tip of the iceberg though as I have heard numerous tails of people now telling immigrants to f**k off home. I think some feel this referendum, especially given the result, has given credibility to their xenophobic views and targeting immigrants is now fair game.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So you've about as much of a clue what will happen as Boris Johnson? 

I'm not planning on running a country so hardly relevant ...

I made a best guess on what I thought would happen a few days back , if it comes to fruition I'll get my name down for party leader in 2017 , ok ?

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not planning on running a country so hardly relevant ...

I made a best guess on what I thought would happen a few days back , if it comes to fruition I'll get my name down for party leader in 2017 , ok ?

OK so what is Boris's plan? Or is it like super secret and only his bestest bestest friends Mike, Nigel and Ian are allowed to know? 

16 minutes ago, BigJim said:

"Areas with high numbers of degree-educated people tended to vote Remain "

I see. So London, Scotland and half of N Ireland is where all the brains are?

Plus Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester and Leeds. By and large, I'd say yes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

How sad is that. I have heard similar said on the radio and tv today as well by people from overseas who have been living and working here for years. Shame on us as a nation for making them feel like that.

That is the tip of the iceberg though as I have heard numerous tails of people now telling immigrants to f**k off home. I think some feel this referendum, especially given the result, has given credibility to their xenophobic views and targeting immigrants is now fair game.

We have a fair few Europeans working at our place and I felt embarrassed today with the Brexit vote.

A lot of people have a concern about our immigration policy and it probably does need looking at and reviewing but there is no need to potentially put the country in an economic black hole to prove a point. I think previous Governments have failed to address the electorates concerns (some valid, some not so much) and its almost as if people have voted out in protest at that, or it feels that way to me

Both my parents voted out and I am disappointed that they did :mellow:

• Like 2

There isn't a plan. Hope I guess could be considered a plan.

They had some clearing in the woods saying we should just ignore the correct procedure to leave because **** Europe. We've populated by arseholes.

• Like 2

Bollox , the majority of my country are now rednecks, our biggest assets want out, London's finance and Scotland's oil . Boris is like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an coming train. I can now see how wars start for the first time in my life and the championship fixtures are out and were in em , Armageddon is here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Sadly Mark you are too right. I was told by one of my directors today that someone said to my fantastic Polish IT manager: "You can **** off back to Poland now..." with more expletives thrown in. 

Guess what? The offensive individual is being ****** off to the dole queue on Monday, when he is fired for Gross Misconduct! 

Or perhaps shot from a cannon? I am free to assist. 

2 hours ago, BigJim said:

I haven't lived in the UK for many years so couldn't vote.... Have to say, all the older expats I know would have voted Leave.

I would probably have been in the same **** moron geriatric camp. But of course it is easy to take that view if you don't have to live with the consequences. In that sense, I can understand the fears of young people. 

What I can't understand is their arrogance.  I actually saw (not here) someone saying people shouldn't have been allowed to vote (i.e. they're not intelligent enough).  That is exactly the view of the political elite who have run Europe for their own ends for a good number of years now (and whose time has probably come to an end). And it appears to be the view of a fair few on here.

Say tomorrow we had a referendum on... oh I dunno, a new way to develop energy. And this was a revolutionary new technique and really complicated. It's so complicated that you have to have high level understanding of 3 specific areas of science to have even basic understanding of it. Everyone else understands it in a really basic, pretty much so simple is not true way. But it could be brilliant. Solve many energy problems. Make environmental concerns go away.

But it's controversial. Initially it's accepted it's really expensive. And if would require us to use land and resources we perhaps wouldn't do otherwise. And it was introduced by a foreign company. And there's a rumour it causes cocks to fall off in a 10 mile radius. But that's only true really if it was in the open air, and the while thing is actually done miles deep in 5 miles of lead. And there are other minor concerns that the company and people who like the idea have explained and addressed.

Should you be able to vote on that to say that can or cannot go ahead? Something you don't understand and only have soundbites and rumour and expert comments?

I don't think it's unreasonable to say you shouldn't. Because you can't have an informed position.

The EU is similar. But we went to vote when a lot of people couldn't answer fundamental things about it and what it does and how it affects things.

It's a terrible idea.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Say tomorrow we had a referendum on... oh I dunno, a new way to develop energy. And this was a revolutionary new technique and really complicated. It's so complicated that you have to have high level understanding of 3 specific areas of science to have even basic understanding of it. Everyone else understands it in a really basic, pretty much so simple is not true way. But it could be brilliant. Solve many energy problems. Make environmental concerns go away.

But it's controversial. Initially it's accepted it's really expensive. And if would require us to use land and resources we perhaps wouldn't do otherwise. And it was introduced by a foreign company. And there's a rumour it causes cocks to fall off in a 10 mile radius. But that's only true really if it was in the open air, and the while thing is actually done miles deep in 5 miles of lead. And there are other minor concerns that the company and people who like the idea have explained and addressed.

Should you be able to vote on that to say that can or cannot go ahead? Something you don't understand and only have soundbites and rumour and expert comments?

I don't think it's unreasonable to say you shouldn't. Because you can't have an informed position.

The EU is similar. But we went to vote when a lot of people couldn't answer fundamental things about it and what it does and how it affects things.

It's a terrible idea.

It's a terrible comparison.

• Like 1

Â